Page 723 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2236236737137197207217227237247257267277337738231223 ... LastLast
Results 10,831 to 10,845 of 20948

No thanks. Use Icon if you want a black Superman. Or Calvin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    No thanks. Use Icon if you want a black Superman. Or Calvin.
    I don’t mind too much, and I suspect millions of people who make up the majority of the box office who don’t read comics and don’t have any particular affinity for the character won’t care either.

And there’s nothing to suggest that the Clark Kent Superman will be used. It could very well be Calvin, or some other black Kryptonian.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-26-2021 at 02:50 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I'm going to be pretty disappointed if this is like The Batman or something new. You lose a lot of interest when things are not part of a shared universe.
    I would want a Superman movie franchise that exists outside the DCEU like we are getting with Batman. I would actually be less interested if this was part of the cinematic universe. Not everything needs to be in a shared world.

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I don’t mind too much, and I suspect millions of people who make up the majority of the box office who don’t read comics and don’t have any particular affinity for the character won’t care either.
    I honestly don't understand why people always bring up the general audience in comic book forums. This isn't about what millions of people who don't read comics think, it's about what we think. If I was interested in what they think, I imagine I probably wouldn't be going to places like this to see what people have to say about it in the first place.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-26-2021 at 03:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I honestly don't understand why people always bring up the general audience in comic book forums. This isn't about what millions of people who don't read comics think, it's about what we think. If I was interested in what they think, I imagine I probably wouldn't be going to places like this to see what people have to say about it in the first place.
    I’m only saying this to make the point that filmmakers aren’t really making these movies with us in mind, at least not exactly. I suspect the aim here is to reintroduce the Superman character to a new generation and broaden the appeal of the character and rejuvenate a property that hasn’t had a good run at the movies as of late. That’s not to say us comic book fans don’t matter, but the audience that these movies largely depend on to make profit isn’t exactly going to care too much about these things especially an audience that is largely ambivalent about the character and thinks of him as boring and believe me many of them couldn’t care less about the character partly because the movies failed to endear the character for many like say the MCU has for Captain America.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-26-2021 at 03:30 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Here’s a quote from a few years back from Coates that I like.
    You didn’t read DC much, but you have given a shout-out to the animated series Justice League Unlimited and Dwayne McDuffie. That show was incredible. Totally underrated. I mean people talk about this era of great storytelling on TV, and Emily Nussbaum wrote this great piece about why Sex and the City never comes up in that conversation, and I think there’s a strong case for why don’t Justice League and Justice League Unlimited come up in that conversation either. It’s great TV. You could watch every episode of Batman: The Animated Series, every episode of Superman: The Animated Series, and it can hold the coherent universe together in a way that is much better than — I like The Avengers, I’m going to go see it, but [the aforementioned shows are] much better than anything you’re going to see in film.

- Charles Schultz.

I’m only saying this to make the point that filmmakers aren’t really making these movies with the us in mind, exactly. I suspect the aim here is to reintroduce the Superman character to a new generation and broaden the appeal of the character and rejuvenate the character who hasn’t had a good run at the movies. That’s not to say us comic book fans don’t matter, but the audience that these movies largely depend on to make profit isn’t exactly going to care too much about these things especially an audience that is largely ambivalent about the character and thinks of him as boring and believe me many of them couldn’t care less about the character partly because the movies failed to endear the character for many like say the MCU has for Captain America.
    I understand that, but should we even bother talking about it here then. If I wanted to know what people who don't read comics thinks about a black Superman, I'd go ask any of my co-workers about it. I get that filmmakers use those IPs to make money, Christopher McQuarrie himself joked that stories about superheroes don't need to be faithfully adapted just because 5 people read something in a comic book a decade ago. I get that many of those people are not only disinterested, but tend to look down on the comic audience. Obviously they don't keep us in mind while making those movies and naturally a comic book movie can only be successful if it becomes a hit with the GA. That isn't my point, it's that when there are comic book fans that discuss Hollywood's plans for those characters between themselves, the casual audience's opinion shouldn't really matter. I rarely care about what the average moviegoer thinks about Superman snapping Zod's neck, but I care about what people who share some of my common interests think about it. And please don't take this the wrong way, I didn't mean for this to look like I snapped at you or anything, but I see the casual audience being brought up a lot when comic book fans debate about filmmakers taking liberties with the source material and I just don't think it matters what the GA says in forums dedicated to discussing comic book characters, that's all.
    Last edited by Johnny; 02-27-2021 at 12:44 AM.

Interesting news. A movie focusing on Calvin would be great
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Coates does not believe in the aspirational element of superheroics he believes heroes are great in spite of their inherent evil, corruption, and bias. If he doesn’t understand the concept of T’Challa as an idealized king I don’t see him being able to grasp the idea of Superman as an idealized man. He’ll take the same hyper-realistic, grittier approach that Snyder did.
    Well then, he's not going to win a lot of folks over if so.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Here’s a quote from a few years back from Coates that I like.
    I wish Dwayne McDuffie could make a Superman movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wish Dwayne McDuffie could make a Superman movie.
    Now THAT would get me psyched even more than a director being announced. It’s a shame it will never happen.

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

This whole black Superman story reminds me of the time when Will Smith was almost Superman in Superman Returns.

- Charles Schultz.

Now THAT would get me psyched even more than a director being announced. It’s a shame it will never happen.
    I guess we'll have to settle for the All-Star Superman animated movie...

I would want a Superman movie franchise that exists outside the DCEU like we are getting with Batman. I would actually be less interested if this was part of the cinematic universe. Not everything needs to be in a shared world.
    Being part of an extended universe just makes movies media more interesting
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Being part of an extended universe just makes movies media more interesting
    I’m definitely sure that’s true for some, but not for me. I personally find being part of the cinematic universe tends to weigh a movie down for me. The Batman and maybe this being separate from the DCEU makes me more interested than if they were.

- Charles Schultz.