Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    You think a Billy cameo will make it not flop?
    People have bought into the rock hype primarily because of the amount of blockbusters hes in but honestly most of his movies are not good and they are usually ensemble efforts. Saying he's the reason for the success is minimizing things

The minute he tries to do his own thing like with Hobbs and shaw or rampage the success isn't there compared his bigger movies
    Now with this you have an untested DC character and essentially a fan casting from years ago
    Shazam is literally the only character that has every reason to be in the movie and isn't

A lot is riding on this black Adam movie imo
    Even more so than Flash

I hope we get a Billy cameo but that's about what I'm expecting. Like he and the other kids are watching a news report about what happens in Kahndaq.

But it seems like Johnson isn't that into a crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I hope we get a Billy cameo but that's about what I'm expecting. Like he and the other kids are watching a news report about what happens in Kahndaq.

But it seems like Johnson isn't that into a crossover.
    Johnson actually stated that he wants Black Adam to fight Superman. But that might not happen given WB can’t seem to make up their mind on what to do with the character, though hopefully that might change since Zaslov wants to prioritize Superman.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Minimal role where he heroically sacrifices himself in the opening sequence is perhaps the best thing to hope for at this point. Hal's chances of having a lead role or a co-lead role in a live-action GL movie again died in 2011 with the character living on borrowed time ever since as far as prominence is concerned. Once they started portraying him as a joke in outside media it was obvious they would go from turning him into an incompetent character to eventually stop promoting him altogether and kicking him to the curb and that's what happened. If Geoff Johns was still involved I imagine he might have tried to protect him in some way to at least have a good role where he isn't deliberately sabotaged or reduced so he won't feel like a threat to anybody else, but this is where we are now. The "Lethal Weapon in space" originated from Johns' time as the so-called "head of DC films", but the rumors about WB planning to kill Hal off or turn him into a villain also started while Johns was still there, so he would've likely not made much of a difference anyway.
    No offense, but I don't think a bad movie that came out over a decade ago at this point is at all enough evidence to say that Hal's time as a major part of the GL franchise is numbered. How many bad movies have the Fantastic Four had? They're still getting their shot again. And this is the first I'm hearing of rumors to kill Hal off or turn him into the villain.

Plus, didn't we just hear updates about the GL HBO Max series which is set to prominently feature Guy and Alan? Like, if there's room enough for them, there's room for all the GLs.

The Rock is one of the few true and tested box office draws left. He's easily the biggest box office star the entire DCEU has had so far. Rampage made 430 million. That's a film that'd get under 200 million and tank with any other actor

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    No offense, but I don't think a bad movie that came out over a decade ago at this point is at all enough evidence to say that Hal's time as a major part of the GL franchise is numbered. How many bad movies have the Fantastic Four had? They're still getting their shot again. And this is the first I'm hearing of rumors to kill Hal off or turn him into the villain.

Plus, didn't we just hear updates about the GL HBO Max series which is set to prominently feature Guy and Alan? Like, if there's room enough for them, there's room for all the GLs.
    The FF are always going to be the iconic four classic members. So whenever their IP gets another shot, it's always going to be Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny.

With the GL IP, WB is always going to view it as easy to slot another Lantern into the lead role if they ever decided to give it another go. They don't need to give Hal another chance when they could use John or one of the others. It's not remotely fair, but considering they struggle to give Superman and Wonder Woman their due, them not considering Hal a priority and holding the 2011;movie as proof to why is a given

Yes, I’ve said before that some of the “DC hates Hal” stuff is a bit overstated, but I do agree there’s zero chance any future GL reboot is another Hal solo vehicle. It’ll either star another Lantern or be a buddy cop or ensemble type with multiple GLs.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yes, I’ve said before that some of the “DC hates Hal” stuff is a bit overstated, but I do agree there’s zero chance any future GL reboot is another Hal solo vehicle. It’ll either star another Lantern or be a buddy cop or ensemble type with multiple GLs.
    There are so many earth Lanterns that they could legit give the spotlight to Jo in the future.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    There are so many earth Lanterns that they could legit give the spotlight to Jo in the future.
    Every Earth Lantern waiting for their turn at this point .

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Nah I think Black Adam is gonna surprise a lot of people. Plus you can’t go wrong with Pierce Bronson.
    It's the only thing other than superpets i care for from dc.I will tell you that much.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Black Adam's trailer to be released 8th June.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The FF are always going to be the iconic four classic members. So whenever their IP gets another shot, it's always going to be Reed, Sue, Ben and Johnny.

With the GL IP, WB is always going to view it as easy to slot another Lantern into the lead role if they ever decided to give it another go. They don't need to give Hal another chance when they could use John or one of the others. It's not remotely fair, but considering they struggle to give Superman and Wonder Woman their due, them not considering Hal a priority and holding the 2011;movie as proof to why is a given
    By that logic, they could easily slot Wally in as the Flash in the solo Flash film. But I don’t see that happening, especially if we’re talking about the origins of the character. And if they ever did another Green Lantern ORIGIN film, it would likely be Hal as the central focus because of the simple fact that he’s the original member of the Green Lantern Corps. The iconic scene of discovering Abin Sur and the passing on of the ring is Hal’s and doesn’t really work with another Lantern.

If they did the film in the same way they’re doing the series, with the GLC as an established team, then yeah, it would likely be an ensemble. But Hal would still likely need to be part of that ensemble. He is still arguably the most recognizable and popular of the Lanterns. He sells the most comics, has the most merch, has had more animated and other media adaptations than any of the others. So since the HBO Max series is giving a spotlight to both Guy and Alan, it really would make no sense to then shaft a character who has a much larger fanbase than either of them.

What might be a compelling way to structure the GLC in the DCEU would be to break it up by decade (and I think I’ve heard that that is what the series is doing), with each one having been the Green Lantern in a specific time period and having passed the torch:

40s - Alan
    60s - Hal
    70s - John
    80s - Guy
    90s - Kyle
    2000s - Simon
    2010s - Jessica
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 05-28-2022 at 11:42 AM.

Well they gave the Abin Sur origin to Kyle in the DCAU, the Sinestro rivalry to John and the next animated GL film is a John Stewart origin story where he again fights Sinestro and teams up with Green Arrow. Even Guy had a rivalry with Sinestro in Batman: TBATB. They've been treating Hal as interchangeable and giving his stories, villains, friends and content to other GLs for many years now, mostly due to the fact that DC either never bothered to develop most of the other GL characters over the years, or some of their origin is too dependent on Hal and if they don't want Hal around, they just proceed to take his stuff instead. If DC has shown us anything about the Green Lantern IP over the years, particularly in outside media, is they most certainly don't "need" Hal to do a Green Lantern adaptation, whether it's an origin story, team-up or otherwise. They just need Hal's lore, not Hal himself. Which is really scummy but that's the reality of the situation and has been for quite a while now.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-28-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Incredible Member James Cameron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Well they gave the Abin Sur origin to Kyle in the DCAU, the Sinestro rivalry to John and the next animated GL film is a John Stewart origin story where he again fights Sinestro and teams up with Green Arrow. Even Guy had a rivalry with Sinestro in Batman: TBATB. They've been treating Hal as interchangeable and giving his stories, villains, friends and content to other GLs for many years now, mostly due to the fact that DC either never bothered to develop most of the other GL characters over the years, or some of their origin is too dependent on Hal and if they don't want Hal around, they just proceed to take his stuff instead. If DC has shown us anything about the Green Lantern IP over the years, particularly in outside media, is they most certainly don't "need" Hal to do a Green Lantern adaptation, whether it's an origin story, team-up or otherwise. They just need Hal's lore, not Hal himself. Which is really scummy but that's the reality of the situation and has been for quite a while now.
    The same can be said for virtually any character with multiple iterations. A specific IP uses everything related to said IP, including villains. Wally had new villains but most of his rogues were not much different from Barry's. It is perfectly natural for an earth-based Green Lantern to fight any villains that have appeared in Green Lantern media. Hal has the rivalry with Sinestro but that doesn't mean other Green Lanterns haven't fought him because they obviously have and it isn't some disservice to Hal. Sinestro is a character in the GL universe. All I gathered from your post is that DC likes to use different Lanterns in different media so nobody attributes anyone as the "true" Green Lantern, there are many and they all play in the same sandbox. Nothing you've said thus far gives any indication that Hal won't be a part of the new GL TV series. And even if he isn't, so what... he's a fictional character, he will always come back, he isn't out of a job

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    The same can be said for virtually any character with multiple iterations. A specific IP uses everything related to said IP, including villains. Wally had new villains but most of his rogues were not much different from Barry's. It is perfectly natural for an earth-based Green Lantern to fight any villains that have appeared in Green Lantern media. Hal has the rivalry with Sinestro but that doesn't mean other Green Lanterns haven't fought him because they obviously have and it isn't some disservice to Hal. Sinestro is a character in the GL universe. All I gathered from your post is that DC likes to use different Lanterns in different media so nobody attributes anyone as the "true" Green Lantern, there are many and they all play in the same sandbox. Nothing you've said thus far gives any indication that Hal won't be a part of the new GL TV series. And even if he isn't, so what... he's a fictional character, he will always come back, he isn't out of a job
    Fair enough then. Looking forward to seeing Jessica blow up Xanshi, John become Parallax or Hal marry Katma Tui instead.