Page 497 of 526 FirstFirst ... 397447487493494495496497498499500501507 ... LastLast
Results 7,441 to 7,455 of 7883
  1. #7441
    Astonishing Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,583

    Default

    I've seen polls by the official DC account on twitter, and Batman always wins in a fight against Superman.. It's ridiculous but that's how his fans have been conditioned to think he always finds a way to win.

  2. #7442
    Incredible Member NeathBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's not it, that's not it at all. The real reason is because the GL movie failed, as did the JL movie, so a GL movie building up to a JL movie is a no go. TV is just safer. It isn't about the storytelling, it's about making money, and while movies make more money TV's the safer bet for some properties WB/AT&T doesn't feel confident in. Same reason why Superman is going to TV, they're no longer confident enough in the character at this moment to try and make a Superman movie.

    It kinda sucks really.
    Doing a tv show on Green Lantern is a good way to showcase the character to a wider audience before making another GL movie.
    Part of the problem of the original movie was the character isn’t that well known outside of comic fans... and Ryan Reynolds wasn’t a big enough name to push the film to a wider audience.
    The Flash is now well known by people who’ve never picked up a comic book and would get a lot of interest in a movie, a well made tv series can do the same for Green Lantern.

  3. #7443
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    4,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Doing a tv show on Green Lantern is a good way to showcase the character to a wider audience before making another GL movie.
    Part of the problem of the original movie was the character isn’t that well known outside of comic fans... and Ryan Reynolds wasn’t a big enough name to push the film to a wider audience.
    In a world where DC could market Suicide Squad to a $133M opening, and Marvel could market Guardians of the freaking Galaxy to $772M worldwide, I'd posit that the trouble for Green Lantern wasn't not being well-known enough.

    The trouble was a bad movie that was poorly marketed.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  4. #7444
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Batman and Robin (Dick) used to have similar personalities, which is why they got along so well. And were both likable, and when they butted heads it actually made sense with their history and wasn't totally OTT melodrama. I miss adventurous, swashbuckling hairy chested love-God Batman who was BFFs with Superman and Robin and made to secret about it.

    They both kinda suck now, but consistent likable/interesting personalities are not that common for most of DC's major characters anymore. Batman's a one note douche now,and Nightwing is either amnesiac or stuck being Daredevil-lite. They deserve better.
    True, DC has had trouble telling good stories and getting characters right, one of the reasons I don't care to follow ongoings.

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I don't blame the characters but the studio. They are the problem.
    Agreed. Still sucks though.

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That doesn't matter they are the same characters. It happens in batbooks too. I disagree, i believe dick grayson is a better character. He doesn't have to resort to some sort of existential crisis or beating up gods to get interesting. Especially, when he leaves the nest and is cut of from wayne Estate and he has to survive with his own resources and friends only.Dick is a leader,dependable,... Etc. He has superman's optimism and Batman's skills. Unlike superman and batman, dick works best when he is struggling with adversities. Because he has adversities. Batman nor superman does. Their biggest adversity is themselves . Otherwise, they are basically coasting through things.

    I find bruce bland, especially when i compare other characters that has similar personality type or share same archetype or themes in the medium.I mean, bruce wayne has nothing on guts on berserk. He just lacks the vulnerability,i seek in characters. Guts though, just gets the same themes of existentialism, free will, nihilism, madness... Etc across much better without losing vulnerability and without it feeling like him moaning about his "tragedies" all the time.
    Oh for the love of god, I just wanted to know why people like Dick so much (heh) and say I prefer Bruce, I did not want to get into a whole round of modern Batman bashing, jeez.

  5. #7445
    Incredible Member NeathBlue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    In a world where DC could market Suicide Squad to a $133M opening, and Marvel could market Guardians of the freaking Galaxy to $772M worldwide, I'd posit that the trouble for Green Lantern wasn't not being well-known enough.

    The trouble was a bad movie that was poorly marketed.
    Yes it was poorly marketed because nobody knew who the character was, a tv show could change that.
    Marvel could just about have released a film about anything and it would have been a hit as at the time of releasing GOTG, they were probably on a free roll due to their continual successes.
    Suicide Squad, apart from being a rotten film which everyone knew about, was always likely to struggle due to DC being a poisoned chalice at the box office at the time.

  6. #7446
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I've seen polls by the official DC account on twitter, and Batman always wins in a fight against Superman.. It's ridiculous but that's how his fans have been conditioned to think he always finds a way to win.
    I feel that less Batgod and more a case of it being a popularity contest...

    Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Doing a tv show on Green Lantern is a good way to showcase the character to a wider audience before making another GL movie.
    Part of the problem of the original movie was the character isn’t that well known outside of comic fans... and Ryan Reynolds wasn’t a big enough name to push the film to a wider audience.
    The Flash is now well known by people who’ve never picked up a comic book and would get a lot of interest in a movie, a well made tv series can do the same for Green Lantern.
    That doesn't matter, unless the tv show and movie shares continuity (and god I pray not).

    And the Flash isn't a great example - he's known to the CW crowd, which isn't much more than maybe five or six drops in the bucket compared to what you need to support a film. Flash is good for CW ratings, but if this streaming show does those same ratings on the alleged budget were talking about it'd be bad news.

  7. #7447
    Mighty Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    I hope Guy and John are the two
    Unlikely. It's most likely Hal/John, with Guy being introduced later and becoming a pest for them.

  8. #7448
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    4,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Oh for the love of god, I just wanted to know why people like Dick so much (heh) and say I prefer Bruce, I did not want to get into a whole round of modern Batman bashing, jeez.
    Look, i didn't bash anything. I am just pointing out and critiquing the perception with which most writers write him. I was being blunt with no malice.The comparison comes because Dick is same vigilante as bruce is. And was one, since he was a child. Bruce wayne started being a vigilante when he became grown man. it was his choice. He had one. Dick's choices were influenced by how he was brought up. When he makes a choice he has to shake those of and be independent .I have trashed superman's saint nonsense and sermons as well. They say Superman is human yet have him behave like space-jesus.

  9. #7449
    Mighty Member Hybrid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    1,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    That's not it, that's not it at all. The real reason is because the GL movie failed, as did the JL movie, so a GL movie building up to a JL movie is a no go. TV is just safer. It isn't about the storytelling, it's about making money, and while movies make more money TV's the safer bet for some properties WB/AT&T doesn't feel confident in. Same reason why Superman is going to TV, they're no longer confident enough in the character at this moment to try and make a Superman movie.

    It kinda sucks really.
    What are you going on about? Some properties work better on TV. Game of Thrones for example was a property they attempted to make into a movie franchise, the idea being that one movie would focus on the Starks, one on Daenerys, and so on. It got repurposed to TV because it make more sense, and it worked so well that way (until it fell apart in the end anyways, but that's not because of the format).

    Likewise, consider how The Umbrella Academy was optioned to be a movie but became a show. That's because you can't cover all the things the show did in just over two hours. Or HBO's new show, His Dark Materials, again The Golden Compass movie flopped but the show didn't because it just had more time and less risk.

    The reality is that Green Lantern is so vast, so full of worldbuilding with different characters, factions, events and lore in general, that with a high budget it makes far more sense to do it as a big prestige TV franchise than a movie that has to condense everything and cut like 95% of the potential story out.

    Consider all the characters the Green Lantern Corps alone has. Then consider the other Corps: Blue, Sinestro, Red, Indigo, Star Sapphire, Orange, Black and White, each having their own sets of characters with their place in the universe. Then you can factor in each main character having their supporting cast. And that the Corps are far from the only cosmic factions, and they can easily include things like The Reach, the Thanagarians, the Manhunters, Kalandor, and even Kryptonian rogues if they want to have them fight Zod. Even just the human GLs alone is important, what with Hal and John, and then Guy, Kyle, Simon and Jessica, all of whom are distinct characters who can be developed with more time after they're introduced.

    A contributing factor for why the movie was so bad, apart from being mishandled, was that it had all this lore and they needed to condense it to two hours. That just couldn't work. But now they can introduce these different things organically and go far beyond what the movies could.

    That's why a high-end TV series makes perfect sense, and they've described Green Lantern as the most ambitious DC show ever. See if that holds true.

  10. #7450
    Fantastic Member The_Lurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Yes it was poorly marketed because nobody knew who the character was, a tv show could change that.
    Marvel could just about have released a film about anything and it would have been a hit as at the time of releasing GOTG, they were probably on a free roll due to their continual successes.
    Suicide Squad, apart from being a rotten film which everyone knew about, was always likely to struggle due to DC being a poisoned chalice at the box office at the time.
    I agree that DC need a solid foundation and a reassured fanbase that they can't do wrong before they can go experimenting (and currently they keep scaring each fanbase they've got in hopes for a better one instead of trying to combine). But I'm not sure whats your problem with SSs BO is.

    Budget $175 million[2]
    Box office $746.8 million[3]

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Squad_%28film%29

    ... bohoo, not 1B?

  11. #7451
    all cops are bastards Elmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sesame Street
    Posts
    2,520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Unlikely. It's most likely Hal/John, with Guy being introduced later and becoming a pest for them.
    Still hope it’s Guy and John
    i'm always online and i'm nice on there

  12. #7452
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,578

    Default

    I like Guy but it feels like to DC and WB he's almost as low on the totem pole as Simon is. The 4 most realistic choices are Hal, John, Jessica and Kyle. Could be a combination of either of those really.

  13. #7453
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    50,055

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I like Guy but it feels like to DC and WB he's almost as low on the totem pole as Simon is. The 4 most realistic choices are Hal, John, Jessica and Kyle. Could be a combination of either of those really.
    Guy is at least higher then Kyle in terms of media appearances.

  14. #7454
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Guy is at least higher then Kyle in terms of media appearances.
    Dude, even Cruz has appeared in larger media more than Kyle at this point.

    I think Kyle appeared in the 90's Superman cartoon once (where he was at least 50% Hal), and got a tiny cameo in JLU, and that was it, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    That's why a high-end TV series makes perfect sense, and they've described Green Lantern as the most ambitious DC show ever. See if that holds true.
    From a story telling perspective you're right. GL has a deep and rich mythology that would work very nicely in a tv show format. But I question whether even a high budget, prestige show with a short episode count can really pull off all the effects you'd need. GL is probably the most effects heavy franchise DC has, and it's gonna need serious cash to look good, or else a real genius of a showrunner who can squeeze a ton of value out of every penny. Probably both.

    The Mandalorian looked great, for example, but that show didn't have big space fights with Lantern constructs.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  15. #7455
    Extraordinary Member Johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    6,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Guy is at least higher then Kyle in terms of media appearances.
    Emerald Twilight still gives him a certain advantage over Guy, since if they ever decide to adapt that story in outside media, they can't do it without Kyle. I can totally see that story adapted for a TV show, even if it served only as a backstory or flashback sequences. Kyle seems like the perfect choice for the protagonist of the GL show since much like the earlier portion of his run, the audience can start learning about the history of the Corps along with him. Who were those Guardians, what was this Green Lantern Corps all about, who was this Hal Jordan guy who fell from grace yet people can't stop talking about how great he was and telling Kyle that he can't fill his shoes. I'm generally no fan of generational stories that span decades because I don't like when one character is being aged in order to make room for someone else, but I'm open to it in this instance.
    Last edited by Johnny; 03-06-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •