Page 675 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1755756256656716726736746756766776786796857257751175 ... LastLast
Results 10,111 to 10,125 of 20948
    Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

WW didn't hold up well at all that third act yikes. And I think because of BvS and first female lead superhero movie a lot of people thought the film was better than it was. Not surprised about 84 at all.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Wonder Woman 3’ in the Works With Director Patty Jenkins

After 1984, I don’t find myself terribly excited about a third movie with Jenkins. More power to people who liked this movie & thought it was good, but it was a terrible slog all the way through for me, and I won’t be revisiting it anytime soon. I admire that Patty did a complete 180 and tried to do something different from the previous movie but it just didn’t come together for me. Which is a shame since I really dug the first film even if it was rather formulaic.
    I'm just happy Wonder Woman is getting a third film.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    WW didn't hold up well at all that third act yikes. And I think because of BvS and first female lead superhero movie a lot of people thought the film was better than it was. Not surprised about 84 at all.
    Nope! It was a good film, regardless of whether it was male or female led. 84 did a complete tone shift from the first film which is why it’s getting the reaction it’s getting

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm just happy Wonder Woman is getting a third film.
    Probably with a third the budget of this one. Or less.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I'm...not sure if that's how it works ?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

To follow up on something I said earlier, I had some flashbacks to the 2nd time I saw the first WW in theaters. There is solid action and momentum early on, but for a solid middle chunk of the movie, there is just a lot of almost boring exposition and investigation. It's compensated because Diana is constantly discovering new things, putting people off as a woman without constraints, and clashing with Steve over the cause of the war. But here, there is so much time spent chasing after and trying to discover the dreamstone, and it's not exciting because the audience already knows what it's for and where it is and who wants it. The second half of the movie is Lord pulling the same trick over and over again. It's just not engaging and doesn't emotionally engage the characters.

The ending also tracks similarly, with Wonder Woman espousing a value that allows her to overcome the villain. Only this time it felt much less earned. I never care for Alistair Lord because I never get to know him. He's just a generic neglected child.

I would have loved to see Cheetah already formed when she attacks people in the white house. It felt so cheap and inconsequential when she shows up at the end. Almost Black Manta-esque.

It's impossible to say whether pacing is a flaw inherent to Jenkins but I think the similarities are notable.

I mean Zack Snyder got $70 million extra to throw at his flop of a movie, doubt they’re going to be skimpy with Patty, especially since they can’t afford to alienate any of their remaining directors right now.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

All CBMs have basically the same third act. The criticisms for Wonder Woman's have always been overblown aside from the design of Ares.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I mean Zack Snyder got $70 million extra to throw at his flop of a movie, doubt they’re going to be skimpy with Patty, especially since they can’t afford to alienate any of their remaining directors right now.
    It does seem like they afford Patty less of a special effects budget than even the other DC directors. Either that or she doesn't utilize it properly. Because there was some very cheap looking effects in this one.

Though yes, if they are sinking money into the Snyder Cut they really shouldn't hold it against Patty after 1 out of 2 of her films is getting a poorer reception.

Extraordinary Member

I'm...not sure if that's how it works ?
    Well, obviously I don't know for sure either, but it seems logical. ATT is cutting costs. And there's no guarantee theater traffic will be at all near normal by the time they get this one out. It may take years, or it may never come back. Which means their biggest revenue stream from the movie is problematic. So they'll want to limit their downside.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly, I can't explain them giving him that much to finish his cut. But now they seem in panic cost cutting mode, so I don't think they're going to give her the normal budget. After all, while $70 million is a lot, it's probably about a third of WW 84's budget.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    All CBMs have basically the same third act. The criticisms for Wonder Woman's have always been overblown aside from the design of Ares.
    With some exceptions, yeah most cbms have the same bloated CGI-filled third act. I don’t see how WW’s third act is any worse than Iron Man’s weak third act boss battle.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I believe it will do much better than BOP

Well, obviously I don't know for sure either, but it seems logical. ATT is cutting costs. And there's no guarantee theater traffic will be at all near normal by the time they get this one out. It may take years, or it may never come back. Which means their biggest revenue stream from the movie is problematic. So they'll want to limit their downside.
    I mean, I don't see them limiting a tentpole blockbuster that much, but that's just me.

Extraordinary Member

I mean, I don't see them limiting a tentpole blockbuster that much, but that's just me.
    Well, while WW84 did set the pandemic record for opening....that's a bit like saying someone was the best actor on Baywatch, or the world's tallest....Ewok. It's not even going to come close to earning back it's budget. How many actual purchases of HBO Max it drives...is probably hard to say, even for WB. How many of those sign up for the movie, then dump it within the time allowed...is also hard to determine, I'd bet. So it makes sense in a way for them to be cautious.