Page 1320 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 32082012201270131013161317131813191320132113221323132413301370 ... LastLast
Results 19,786 to 19,800 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Universal might buy dc before Disney even entertains the thought of doing so. Though I wonder what would happen to six flags if that happened.
    Comcast is rumored to be in the market to purchase WBD (and DC) and they already own NBCUniversal.

There would basically like 2 companies that own everything.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Dunno, seems like the specific response to that died down fairly quickly (kinda sorry, since I was hoping that public opinion might sway them to back down). If anything, it seems like it's just one factor in the line of stuff that Zaslav has burned down, with the purge as a whole getting the most ire.
    Not to get too political, but it's the Donald Trump method: Have so many scandals and controversies that there's no way people can focus on them long enough for any of them to have an impact

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    That's creating a monopoly. Disney cant own 2 of the biggest comic companies.

Marvel could have tried but they shut down
    "One publisher, First Comics, went so far as to file an antitrust lawsuit against the Marvel/DC deal with the United States federal government, alleging that the merger of the two companies would constitute a monopoly in the comic publishing industry. Courts eventually agreed, and the deal was quashed."
    https://www.gamesradar.com/when-marv...ght-dc-really/
    In the 80s, that was a monopoly and a much bigger deal.

In the 2020s, the comic marketplace is different, both because comics are not as big a deal and because non-Marvel non-DC comic companies are much bigger. If Disney wanted to buy Viz, that would give them dominance of the comics market

I'm not a huge expert on Scholastic comics but I don't think they are putting out multiple comics per week like DC/Marvel.
    We are getting new manga almost every week, however.

Manga has its own sections at target and five below. Wal-mart sells manga and i was just at wal-mart grocery (the food only store) and there is demon slayer, and our hero manga next to kids books comics baby sitters club, last kids on earth, five nights at Freddie's among others!

Cracker barrel has disney manga now!

Public libraries are starting to separate manga from graphic novels and are giving them their own sections!

I saw kids with demon slayer and naruto shirts going to my nephew's middle school!

Our books a million just downgraded. They have almost no marvel and dc trades () but still have a full area for manga and another for kids trades! Both are two of some of the biggest areas in the store!

So, they are still big here.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 10-03-2022 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Devin Faraci has confirmed the rumor that a certain character being in Black Adam is true…
    Who cares? He's not a bigger box office draw than the lead star!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    In the 80s, that was a monopoly and a much bigger deal.

In the 2020s, the comic marketplace is different, both because comics are not as big a deal and because non-Marvel non-DC comic companies are much bigger. If Disney wanted to buy Viz, that would give them dominance of the comics market
    The IPs that come with those is much larger. The government lets a lot of things get through that they shouldnt but I still dont see them allowing this to ever happen should they ever try.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Not to get too political, but it's the Donald Trump method: Have so many scandals and controversies that there's no way people can focus on them long enough for any of them to have an impact
    My suspicion at this point is that Trump just follows his own impulses more so than actually planning his chaos ahead, but who can say what goes on in his mind?

In the case of Zaslav, there does seem to be a method to his madness; get rich quick by destroying stuff he doesn't "believe in," no matter who it screws over in the process. However, given the illogic of the stuff he's pulped, it does feel like the ultimate thing guiding him is where he personally wants it existing, not whether it'll actually save money (or even lose money if canceled). I guess the rash of things thrown to the wood chipper may have blunted any backlash to any specific item, but it does seem like, on a whole, that Zaslav's overall agenda has not gone over well (no one's really defending him, plenty of online users are blasting him, and WBD stock has suffered ever since he started burning things down).

Granted, to be fair, fan movements to uncancel stuff (like Star Trek and Firefly back in the day) are rare. I wondered if it would've been a good thing if the Snyder cult had added releasing Batgirl to their agenda of giving Zack Snyder the DCEU keys again (while they are a toxic, bot-using club of harassers, they did know how to be heard and claimed to stand for creators' rights), but, excusing the moral implications, I noticed that most of them seemed to be cheering the cancelation on (apparently they wanted anything made by Hamada's regime erased in vengeance for daring to not worship Snyder and ending his movie series when it was failing).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The IPs that come with those is much larger. The government lets a lot of things get through that they shouldnt but I still dont see them allowing this to ever happen should they ever try.
    IPs aren't really what the FCC look at. It's about the industries itself. Now Disney buying WB might actually be a monopoly but it wouldn't be because of DC but WB itself. I don't think they'd let that slide after Fox. But if Disney had bought DC itself, the FCC wouldn't stop it just like they didn't stop Disney from buying Star Wars. In terms of IP, Disney still wouldn't be a monopoly because there would be Harry Potter, Mission Impossible, Fast and Furious, Jurassic Park, etc.. The FCC doesn't consider 'superhero comics' to be its own industry and it wouldn't look at superhero IPs the way you think they do

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    IPs aren't really what the FCC look at. It's about the industries itself. Now Disney buying WB might actually be a monopoly but it wouldn't be because of DC but WB itself. I don't think they'd let that slide after Fox. But if Disney had bought DC itself, the FCC wouldn't stop it just like they didn't stop Disney from buying Star Wars. In terms of IP, Disney still wouldn't be a monopoly because there would be Harry Potter, Mission Impossible, Fast and Furious, Jurassic Park, etc.. The FCC doesn't consider 'superhero comics' to be its own industry and it wouldn't look at superhero IPs the way you think they do
    There's no reason to stop Star Wars. Disney doesn't control all the major franchises that involve space and aliens. We still got Star Trek for that.

There is clear competition in the market with Dc vs Marvel and DC Comics is part of that. They are the 2 biggest superhero comics in the industry.

There's no reason to stop Star Wars. Disney doesn't control all the major franchises that involve space and aliens. We still got Star Trek for that.

There is clear competition in the market with Dc vs Marvel and DC Comics is part of that. They are the 2 biggest superhero comics in the industry.
    But "superhero comics" aren't an industry. "Comics" are, as a whole and there's plenty of other comic companies out
    there besides DC. Nothing is stopping those other companies from doing superhero stories. That's why it wouldn't be a monopoly.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    But "superhero comics" aren't an industry. "Comics" are, as a whole and there's plenty of other comic companies out
    there besides DC. Nothing is stopping those other companies from doing superhero stories. That's why it wouldn't be a monopoly.
    Pretty sure after the Bloodshot movie, it deterred anyone from making a non DC/Marvel super hero movie...

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Pretty sure after the Bloodshot movie, it deterred anyone from making a non DC/Marvel super hero movie...
    We're talking comics, though. Not films. Although the same would apply since "superhero films" are also not an exclusive industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Devin Faraci has confirmed the rumor that a certain character being in Black Adam is true…
    I'd normally ask for the receipts but... *shudders*

It's gonna be very hard to be an anti-DC fan soon. Black Adam is confirmed at this point to be a major success and we're gonna get so much kino next year. Feels good being a DChad
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Black Adam is now expected to open with a $70 million weekend take. That would make it The Rock’s biggest opening weekend and a huge hit for DC/WB.