Page 790 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2906907407807867877887897907917927937948008408901290 ... LastLast
Results 11,836 to 11,850 of 20948

I thought the Nygma twist was fine, ok sure, don't change the killer but for gods sake pick one, Alberto or Gilda. Them both being the killer without working together never made sense. Wouldn't that have meant there'd be 2 hits per holiday?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    I thought the Nygma twist was fine, ok sure, don't change the killer but for gods sake pick one, Alberto or Gilda. Them both being the killer without working together never made sense. Wouldn't that have meant there'd be 2 hits per holiday?
    I actually feel like using both, but doing so intelligently, and using Gilda’s stated reasons for stopping, is actually a very good “double bluff” mystery twist. Gilda’s monologue states that when a murder happened early, she stopped because she figured it was Harvey.

TLH’s problem is that after being a fairly well-structured procedure, it sprung the twists all at once - what had been a decent “fair play mystery” up to that point used a few cheats to pull of multiple twists that could have been more smoothly and mind blowingly logical.

Like, here’s how I’d do it:

- Gilda is the first killer, targeting mostly Falcone associates, though there’s *some* ambiguity. Bruce, investigating, starts to suspect Harvey because it largely fits, but will later uncover some evidence that makes Harvey committing it impossible.
    - Then the Dents house gets bombed *here* instead of earlier (thus avoiding the illogical idea Gilda snuck out of the hospital to kill someone when injured), and this is when Alberto fakes his death and becomes the copycat killer, targeting Maroni’s men, though again with *some* ambiguity. Bruce is thrown off the Dents here because they can’t have “killed” Alberto... and maybe he figures out that Alberto’s body is missing or isn’t identified.
    - By the end of the film, make sure the audience has the “fair play information”: the Dents fit the earlier crimes while Falcone fits the later ones, but neither Harvey nor Alberto could pull off all the early ones. And don’t add any more contradicting elements - the double bluff of two killers is enough.

Then, I’d just make sure that Bruce’s procedure is a bit more secure, and perhaps even have him visually piece it all together at the end while simultaneously we see Gilda burn her evidence. He’s the World’s Greatest Detective, so he *should* be more on the ball, but having the story spin on Gilda being incapacitated at an opportune moment for Alberto is stumping enough to allow him to still be a bit in the wind until Two-Face finally says there are two killers.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Nolan's Dark Knight is in many ways a very loose adaptation of The Long Halloween. And its one of my favorite movies. I can't speak for everyone but I love seeing different spins on familiar stories.
    Oh I think that was great, but that was more "inspired by." It wasn't called "The Long Halloween".

They should change the ending for the Long Halloween animated adaptation just as they did with Hush. Even if the original ending from the comic didn't suck (it did) but whats the point of a whodunit if we already know the reveal?
    Oh hell freaking NO!

I don't need a Sherlock Holmes adaptation to switch up the killer. I already know who the killer is in Hound of the Baskervilles spoilers:
    Stapleton
    end of spoilers but the story is so good that I don't care going into one of the many film adaptations that I already know who the killer is! It's still a good story that has been adapted into some good movies. That's what I want for The Long Halloween. Forget trying to change it up to add a mystery element to those of us who already read it, just tell it as it is properly for those of us who love the story.

Nolan's Dark Knight is in many ways a very loose adaptation of The Long Halloween. And its one of my favorite movies. I can't speak for everyone but I love seeing different spins on familiar stories.
    I see we're still discussing the differences between adaptations, recreations, and inspirations. The Dark Knight took some obvious and serious inspiration from The Long Halloween, but it was not an adaptation by any stretch, not even a very loose one. That's why it's called The Dark Knight and not The Long Halloween. If you're going to adapt it, you shouldn't make any changes other than those that are needed for time constraints and telling a coherent plot. Don't futz around with the mystery and killer/s.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What if we didn't think they were all bad, though?
    You have bad taste?

Seriously, I don't have to say "my opinion" every post.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I see we're still discussing the differences between adaptations, recreations, and inspirations. The Dark Knight took some obvious and serious inspiration from The Long Halloween, but it was not an adaptation by any stretch, not even a very loose one. That's why it's called The Dark Knight and not The Long Halloween. If you're going to adapt it, you shouldn't make any changes other than those that are needed for time constraints and telling a coherent plot. Don't futz around with the mystery and killer/s.
    I liked the book Hounds of Baskervilles too,(even though Holmes was barely in it) but idk, I'm something of an anti-purist. In adaptations I like seeing "the road that wasn't traveled," I was a fan of both the comic and tv show of the 'walking dead.' I eventually dropped it because if went on so long, got kinda repetitive and Andrew Lincoln left. But as a fan of both the adaptation and the source material, the differences elevated my enjoyment of both.
    What if Shane lived longer?
    What if Carol lived while her daughter died?
    What if Rick never lost his hand?
    Stuff like that keeps me on my toes. I still want to see the big moments done justice. But idk, I also like being surprised.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 05-02-2021 at 08:00 PM.

I liked the book Hounds of Baskervilles too,(even though Holmes was barely in it) but idk, I'm something of an anti-purist. In adaptations I like seeing "the road that wasn't traveled," I was a fan of both the comic and tv show of the 'walking dead.' I eventually dropped it because if went on so long, got kinda repetitive and Andrew Lincoln left. But as a fan of both the adaptation and the source material, the differences elevated my enjoyment of both.
    What if Shane lived longer?
    What if Carol lived while her daughter died?
    What if Rick never lost his hand?
    Stuff like that keeps me on my toes. I still want to see the big moments done justice. But idk, I also like being surprised.
    That's cool, but some of us just don't feel the same way. We hope for years to see our favorite stories get adapted, and when they finally are? Well, if they change too much, they didn't really adapt our favorite stories, they just did their own, usually crappy, retelling of some elements of our favorite story, and we leave disappointed. Elseworlds are where they should explore the roads less traveled. I'm just not as interested in a TLH adaptation that is TLH in name only. I could just make up some random **** if that's all that I want. I'm coming into this because I love The Long Halloween, and it's The Long Halloween I want to see. Not some radical Bizarro spin take on what TLH could've been possibly maybe.

I get that you want something new, something different - but that's what their original stories are for. I just want them to do their adaptations as faithfully as they can given the various considerations for time and medium and ratings and such.

I get why they did the Nygma twist but the execution wasn't enough to make it work as well as it could have, even if on some level I got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Umm... Man of Tomorrow's Superman is in the Justice Society film so doesn't that already make it a shared universe? They may choose to have The Long Halloween be based on its own Earth but I doubt it.
    So Gotham by Gaslight, Red Son, Assault on Arkham, The Killing Joke, Batman: Ninja, Batman vs TMNT, Justice League Vs the Fatal Five, DC Superhero Girls: Galactic Games, Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders, Batman vs Two-Face, and Justice League: Gods and Monsters were all in the last continuity? They've always made movies that didn't fit in the continuity there's no reason to assume that they won't be doing the same. Hell, they presumably already have with Soul of the Dragon. Unless the Long Halloween opens with Batman escaping "hell."

I honestly don't understand why some people are so obsessed with which "Earth" things take place on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    They changed it radically. Can you honestly say that they would have felt as free to change it so badly if it wasn't part of the shared universe?
    Killing Joke, Gotham by Gaslight, and Red Son were all changed just as much if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Doomsday was definitely an attempt to adapt the entirety of the Death of Superman saga within one movie. We just eventually got two films that were able to more closely follow the story.
    Funny how the in continuity Death of Superman adaptation changed so much more than the stand alone

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    So Gotham by Gaslight, Red Son, Assault on Arkham, The Killing Joke, Batman: Ninja, Batman vs TMNT, Justice League Vs the Fatal Five, DC Superhero Girls: Galactic Games, Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders, Batman vs Two-Face, and Justice League: Gods and Monsters were all in the last continuity? They've always made movies that didn't fit in the continuity there's no reason to assume that they won't be doing the same. Hell, they presumably already have with Soul of the Dragon. Unless the Long Halloween opens with Batman escaping "hell."

I honestly don't understand why some people are so obsessed with which "Earth" things take place on.
    ...what? Man of Tomorrow IS part of the same continuity as Justice Society. They didn’t advertise it but Darren Criss Superman from MoT is there. Given MoT teased Batman existing it’s a safe bet TLH will also take place in the same universe.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Funny how the in continuity Death of Superman adaptation changed so much more than the stand alone
    I think it's funnier how the in-continuity DoS adapted more from the comics than Doomsday did...like, y'know, Reign of the Supermen .

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    ...what? Man of Tomorrow IS part of the same continuity as Justice Society. They didn’t advertise it but Darren Criss Superman from MoT is there. Given MoT teased Batman existing it’s a safe bet TLH will also take place in the same universe.
    I just reread what I posted and I didn't see Man of Tomorrow there at all. Considering that neither Man of Tomorrow nor Justice Society were based on preexisting story arcs there's no reason to believe that Long Halloween would be based in the same universe until we hear more one way or another.

They always made out of continuity movies along with the in continuity movies. They were doing about one a year before Apokalips War