Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It's not a double standard when one is $90 million and the other is ballooning to $300 million and The Flash was needed to understand part of Batgirl.

But either way, WBD could've still released BG in theaters and still make $20million back instead of a tax write off so it was stupid.
    And this is why I still think cancelling Flash is still on the table. You get rid of the movie that needs the other movie first.
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

It's sad in this situation the people who get punished are the fans who want to see the movie. Not the stars/studio but the fans. It's basically (Ok, this star is a train wreck and as a result YOU, the paying public do not get to see this movie). That's messed up.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    It's sad in this situation the people who get punished are the fans who want to see the movie. Not the stars/studio but the fans. It's basically (Ok, this star is a train wreck and as a result YOU, the paying public do not get to see this movie). That's messed up.
    Not the stars? They are the ones who spent 3 months of their lives shooting something for no one to see.

It's not a double standard when one is $90 million and the other is ballooning to $300 million and The Flash was needed to understand part of Batgirl.

But either way, WBD could've still released BG in theaters and still make $20million back instead of a tax write off so it was stupid.
    People seem to keep overlooking the fact that it wasn’t just the budget or the test screening responses that compared it to a “bad tv show”. Batgirl also had Michael Keaton as Batman which was not the direction that Zaslav wanted to go. He wants to lean harder into the shared universe and a 70 year old mentor Batman didn’t sound good to him.

Maybe. I mean, if the starting point is that Batman retired and helps a young woman take over his legacy, that makes sense in a vacuum. WB has set the standard for releasing one-off projects with Joker and The Batman.

I really think it wasn't about the money but not wanting the movie out and shaping peoples perception of things, for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I think it goes without saying for most people at this point that Miller needs to be recast for any future movies. It's gonna be at least a little uncomfortable to watch Miller in THIS movie after all the creepy stuff.
    With older movies involving people who fell from grace in one way or another -- like Joss Whedon, Johnny Depp or Mel Gibson -- I find it easier if the project in question was made before their fall (or at least that its reasonable to believe that the production companies didn't realize how problematic they would be). So, I don't feel that guilty about still liking the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, while I kinda feel guilty about liking Firefly, since it was made at a time when Whedon was abusing his power and hurting people under him. I guess it's a case by case basis (esp. since movies and TV are made by more than one person), but I agree that this movie seemed poisoned by its literal bad actor (esp. since WBD had Miller come back in the midst of all the allegations, so we know they they knew what he was doing while making it).

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    People seem to keep overlooking the fact that it wasn’t just the budget or the test screening responses that compared it to a “bad tv show”. Batgirl also had Michael Keaton as Batman which was not the direction that Zaslav wanted to go. He wants to lean harder into the shared universe and a 70 year old mentor Batman didn’t sound good to him.
    So, let it be an AU, like Joker or The Batman; we know how that works. I really don't care about the DCEU continuity or following every last movie in the series just because it bears the DCEU brand; all the DCEU stuff I ever saw was just because I wanted to see a superhero movie that sounded interesting.

Also, if they're keeping Batfleck instead, they're well on their way to having an Old Man Bruce Batman anyways by the time they actually get their crap together. If so, trading Keaton for Affleck is a pretty poor deal (I think Affleck is the only good thing about the DCEU/Snyderverse Batman to date, but I can't say he was exactly the definitive version of the character, if that makes any sense.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Maybe. I mean, if the starting point is that Batman retired and helps a young woman take over his legacy, that makes sense in a vacuum. WB has set the standard for releasing one-off projects with Joker and The Batman.
    Those one offs dont have the OG big screen modern batman in the role though.

I really think it wasn't about the money but not wanting the movie out and shaping peoples perception of things, for whatever reason.
    So what was the reason for them cancelling the other hbo max original movies?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really do think that Zaslav wants to ditch the DCEU proper and start over. The budget and test screenings for Flash is probably the only thing staying his hand at the moment. I mean, he still hasn't greenlit The Batman 2 yet! And that movie made bank!
    Assassinate Putin!

Ultimate Member

I
    Suppose the recent reshoots also make it hard for WBD to argue that Miller really went off the rails only after the movie was made. I do wonder how much the common audience will care in the long run or be keeping tabs on Miller's case (or even realize that Miller is in trouble and out of control).

Just realized that the fiasco really makes the whole business of the Speedforce scene from the Snyder Cut winning that Oscar poll age a lot worse than it already had.
    Most of the folks who would go see it would NOT know about Miller's antics. Most are NOT watching TMZ or Entertainment Tonight.

And if you did bring up their antics-I would SUSPECT the replies will be to the tune of...

How many TOXIC folks have we seen be given free passes or folks act like they don't care?

How much work has R Kelly gotten before they FINALLY got him?
    Paula Poundstone can still find work.
    Justin Beiber can too.
    TI can too and he was in two Marvel movies as TOXIC as HE is.

The Echo chamber of Twitter and Tumblr will fuss. Be they were NOT going to the movie anyway.

Toss the movie out and then RECAST unlike that other film from Wakanda. That is banking on the Echo chamber of Twitter and Tumblr will support it. Bet Flash makes more money. Heck I would be Batgirl would too.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Most of the folks who would go see it would NOT know about Miller's antics. Most are NOT watching TMZ or Entertainment Tonight.

And if you did bring up their antics-I would SUSPECT the replies will be to the tune of...

How many TOXIC folks have we seen be given free passes or folks act like they don't care?

How much work has R Kelly gotten before they FINALLY got him?
    Paula Poundstone can still find work.
    Justin Beiber can too.
    TI can too and he was in two Marvel movies as TOXIC as HE is.

The Echo chamber of Twitter and Tumblr will fuss. Be they were NOT going to the movie anyway.

Toss the movie out and then RECAST unlike that other film from Wakanda. That is banking on the Echo chamber of Twitter and Tumblr will support it. Bet Flash makes more money. Heck I would be Batgirl would too.
    To be fair there is a pretty big difference between recasting someone for being a **** person, and recasting someone because they died. I don’t think anyone would truly be upset at Miller’s recasting, given their behaviour - however a lot of people would be up in arms about recasting Boseman.

Those one offs dont have the OG big screen modern batman in the role though.
    Exhibit A on why canceling it was a mistake.

So what was the reason for them cancelling the other hbo max original movies?
    "Who knows why madmen do what they do."

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I really do think that Zaslav wants to ditch the DCEU proper and start over. The budget and test screenings for Flash is probably the only thing staying his hand at the moment. I mean, he still hasn't greenlit The Batman 2 yet! And that movie made bank!
    Unless Zaslav is hoping to soft reboot the DCEU into its next iteration (the "Zaslav-verse"?) or something like that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

I still expect Flash to be axed.

The bad news keeps piling up.

Still waiting for the horrible disastrous news about the Blue Beetle movie we heard was coming down the pike.

Astonishing Member

I don't think they will Axe BB.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    To be fair there is a pretty big difference between recasting someone for being a **** person, and recasting someone because they died. I don’t think anyone would truly be upset at Miller’s recasting, given their behaviour - however a lot of people would be up in arms about recasting Boseman.
    You mean the crew who wanted him GONE the moment the closing credits for the first movie started playing?

The folks that fail to realize Shuri that was Panther is NOT the same version as movie Shuri?

We have had folk die and get replaced.

Only 1 character that I know of that got retired when someone died. It was Scooter of the Muppets and it only lasted 7 years before he came back and then another 3 before he spoke again.

In the case of Miller it's time to go, get help and we'll try again after everything legal is settled.

Too many folks worked on this film to have it scrapped (same with Batgirl and Beetle)-especially those whose first work is that film.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    You mean the crew who wanted him GONE the moment the closing credits for the first movie started playing?

The folks that fail to realize Shuri that was Panther is NOT the same version as movie Shuri?

We have had folk die and get replaced.

Only 1 character that I know of that got retired when someone died. It was Scooter of the Muppets and it only lasted 7 years before he came back and then another 3 before he spoke again.

In the case of Miller it's time to go, get help and we'll try again after everything legal is settled.

Too many folks worked on this film to have it scrapped (same with Batgirl and Beetle)-especially those whose first work is that film.
    Did the crew have issues with Boseman? I thought he was pretty beloved among his coworkers.