Page 627 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1275275776176236246256266276286296306316376777271127 ... LastLast
Results 9,391 to 9,405 of 20948

Hal and John's omission isn't that shocking, which hopefully means they're actually serious about the GLC movie since they're excluding the two most recognizable Lanterns from the show.

Kyle's exclusion on the other hand could probably mean a few things:

- his origin is directly tied to Hal who isn't there so it won't make much sense to have Kyle there.

- they chose Jessica over him due to the "also Hispanic but female" aspect.

- they could be saving him for the big screen as well.

Either way, Guy and Alan are long overdue for some spotlight and Simon can hopefully benefit from it as well, since things haven't been going well for him lately to say the least. I guess this also means this version of Alan will be a member of the Corps and again, given Hal's absence, the first human member?
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-09-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    ‘Green Lantern’ Series Gets Greenlight at HBO Max, Seth Grahame-Smith and Marc Guggenheim to Write

Based on the DC Comics property, the show was first announced as being in development last year. Plot details are now available for the first time, however. The show will depict the adventures of a multitude of Lanterns, including Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz and Alan Scott — Earth’s first Green Lantern, who, true to the comics, is a gay man — and many more. The series will also include fan favorites such as Sinestro and Kilowog, and will also introduce new heroes to the ranks of the Green Lantern Corps.

HBO Max has ordered 10 one-hour episodes. The series will be co-written and executive produced by Seth Grahame-Smith and Marc Guggenheim, with Grahame-Smith serving as showrunner. Berlanti Productions will produce in association with Warner Bros. Television, where Berlanti is under a rich overall deal.

Full article: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/gre...ax-1234798860/
    They hired the same writer from the 2011 movie? Yikes

Talk about a self burn.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-09-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I can't see this being good if he's writing it.
    DC never learn from their mistakes.

Couple that with the omission of John and Hal, and I'm not very confident about the show's quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    ‘Green Lantern’ Series Gets Greenlight at HBO Max, Seth Grahame-Smith and Marc Guggenheim to Write

Based on the DC Comics property, the show was first announced as being in development last year. Plot details are now available for the first time, however. The show will depict the adventures of a multitude of Lanterns, including Guy Gardner, Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz and Alan Scott — Earth’s first Green Lantern, who, true to the comics, is a gay man — and many more. The series will also include fan favorites such as Sinestro and Kilowog, and will also introduce new heroes to the ranks of the Green Lantern Corps.

HBO Max has ordered 10 one-hour episodes. The series will be co-written and executive produced by Seth Grahame-Smith and Marc Guggenheim, with Grahame-Smith serving as showrunner. Berlanti Productions will produce in association with Warner Bros. Television, where Berlanti is under a rich overall deal.

Full article: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/gre...ax-1234798860/
    More surprised by Alan’s inclusion than anything else here. Wonder if he’ll be like his New 52 version.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

Couple that with the omission of John and Hal, and I'm not very confident about the show's quality.
    Just going off the 2 writers/showrunner announced I am not expecting anything remotely outstanding. Just a pile of money burning.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-09-2020 at 04:14 PM.

So guggenheim and no hal or Jon, yeah they are making it pretty easy to pass on this show. Really happy for fans of Jessica and Simon but overall not expecting this to be anything worthwhile.

Also I gotta say the way that every article is describing Alan Scott is the argument that most people make against changing major things about long established characters. Literally the first and only description of a character provided in almost all of the articles about the show is that alan is gay. Character has been around 80 years and have boiled him down in every article announcing this show to "he is gay". Talking about how much they are true to the comics and solely referencing the character based on a relatively recent change to his character comes across as disingenuous. I am sure the show will do a better job than the announcement articles but it really comes across as blatant pandering when that is the one and only thing they mention about him, like he is solely defined by that
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

double post
    Last edited by regg215; 10-09-2020 at 12:19 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    So guggenheim and no hal or Jon, yeah they are making it pretty easy to pass on this show. Really happy for fans of Jessica and Simon but overall not expecting this to be anything worthwhile.

Also I gotta say the way that every article is describing Alan Scott is the argument that most people make against changing major things about long established characters. Literally the first and only description of a character provided in almost all of the articles about the show is that alan is gay. Character has been around 80 years and have boiled him down in every article announcing this show to "he is gay". Talking about how much they are true to the comics and solely referencing the character based on a relatively recent change to his character comes across as disingenuous. I am sure the show will do a better job than the announcement articles but it really comes across as blatant pandering when that is the one and only thing they mention about him, like he is solely defined by that
    Yeah I guess that’s the odd thing with Alan Scott now is that kind of thanks in part to the new 52, he effectively has been the gay green lantern now for almost a decade and that hasn’t exactly stopped even with his return in Doomsday Clock. Earth 2 somehow made it to the beginning of Rebirth with Earth 2: Society so that version of Alan stuck around for nearly half a decade and though the original has returned they’ve hinted at it in Green Lantern 80th anniversary and in Injustice Year zero he’s officially an old married man to his husband Jimmy.

I don’t see it as a bad thing and Im perfectly fine with it having seen stuff like that before in comics and it not really having an impact on my perception of Alan, but yeah it kind of means that there is a whole bunch of new readers who for nearly a decade know Alan as the LGBT Green Lantern.

I’ll be at least mildly interested in how they will work that and him into the rest of the show with Guy, Jessica, and Simon(who I’m glad is not forgotten).
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I’m very curious how Alan will fit in with this. Will they keep his ring and lantern only be tangentially related to the GLC, or make him an official member of the GLC?

Very excited to see Gardner, Baz, and Cruz make the jump to live action!

You know I had a second to think about it but after talking with a friend, I don’t think Alan is going to be the one controversy surrounds (even if people have a problem with him being gay now).

That’s going to be Simon Baz, you know the guy who’s origin as a Muslim American was being mistaken for a terrorist after stealing a car with a bomb in it and basically being tortured by the US Gov as he he gets his power ring....the guy has gone far since then thanks to Rebirth and I really like the character and him showing up more lately but I have a feeling we are going to see a lot of upset people meeting Simon in media outside the comics for the first time.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Berlanti and Guggenheim just don't excite me.

I will acknowledge that their original script for the 2011 GL movie was decent but little of what they've made for TV since rises above.

The timeline dynamic might mitigate a lot of their worst impulses as storytellers though.

http://www.thesportshero.com/wordpre...-LANTERN-1.pdf

Alan Scott — Earth’s first Green Lantern, who, true to the comics, is a gay man
    Of course they went with this.

Well this at least explains Alan suddenly appearing as a gay man in all DC media. The main DCU, the Injustice version, and now we know why. I still wish he'd make a full appearance on Stargirl though.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-09-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    More surprised by Alan’s inclusion than anything else here. Wonder if he’ll be like his New 52 version.
    Of course they had Alan be gay on the show. That is all he is known for unfortunately. I know some like that version of him since the New 52, but I didn't like the change and how it ruins his marriage. Oh well.

But Guy and Jessica in it are nice at least. They should be fun characters on the show. Jessica is a character that they should push more. I kind of wish they would phase out Simon Baz as I don't think he is a very good character that worked. He just takes up space in my eyes. I guess John and Hal are being saved for larger projects, which I guess isn't a surprise.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

Talk about a self burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post

One possible silver lining if it sucks is that we could finally drop the "the 2011 movie sucked because it starred Hal" narrative if they manage to **** up Alan, Guy, Jess and Simon.

Unfortunately I can easily see this end up being a Booster Gold/Blue Beetle situation where John and Hal are deemed too big for tv for some reason but not trusted on the big screen. So they end up in nothing.