Page 628 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1285285786186246256266276286296306316326386787281128 ... LastLast
Results 9,406 to 9,420 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Unfortunately I can easily see this end up being a Booster Gold/Blue Beetle situation where John and Hal are deemed too big for tv for some reason but not trusted on the big screen. So they end up in nothing.
    They’re making a CW Superman show now, don’t think there’s any restrictions on who can be used for what.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They’re making a CW Superman show now, don’t think there’s any restrictions on who can be used for what.
    I think there are always restrictions. But what characters are fair game or not now may not be the same as it was 5 years ago or 5 years from now.

Note that as far as we know, however, there is no Superman movie being developed and it still hasn't actually been confirmed Henry Cavill is returning for more films. The lack of Man of Steel 2 has been bordering on meme status in the fanbase for years.

As for restrictions, that would also depend on whether or not a Green Lantern show and movie would potentially co-exist in the same continuity. So far, the two new HBO Max DC shows that have been greenlit were ones with explicit ties to upcoming movies: Peacemaker for James Gunn's Suicide Squad, and the Gotham P.D. show for The Batman. So if they are still intending to do a GLC movie at some point in the near future, it's entirely possible the TV show would tie into it somehow, or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Note that as far as we know, however, there is no Superman movie being developed and it still hasn't actually been confirmed Henry Cavill is returning for more films. The lack of Man of Steel 2 has been bordering on meme status in the fanbase for years.

As for restrictions, that would also depend on whether or not a Green Lantern show and movie would potentially co-exist in the same continuity. So far, the two new HBO Max DC shows that have been greenlit were ones with explicit ties to upcoming movies: Peacemaker for James Gunn's Suicide Squad, and the Gotham P.D. show for The Batman. So if they are still intending to do a GLC movie at some point in the near future, it's entirely possible the TV show would tie into it somehow, or vice versa.
    Fair enough but the Flash movie and TV show are still running concurrently.

Fair enough but the Flash movie and TV show are still running concurrently.
    Eh, the movie is still a few years away and the show is running up there in seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, the movie is still a few years away and the show is running up there in seasons.
    But they’re still willing to let the two coexist, to the point Ezra showed up in the Crisis crossover. A few years ago that would never have happened. Hell is this GL show even a part of the DCEU, or is it in its own separate continuity? If it’s separate I’d wager they’re still planning to make a GL movie, but first they’ll use the show to rebuild the brand, just like they’re doing with Superman.

If it was in the same continuity, they'd likely have mentioned it already. Both the GCPD show and Peacemaker were announced as prequels to The Batman and The Suicide Squad from the get go.

But they’re still willing to let the two coexist, to the point Ezra showed up in the Crisis crossover. A few years ago that would never have happened. Hell is this GL show even a part of the DCEU, or is it in its own separate continuity? If it’s separate I’d wager they’re still planning to make a GL movie, but first they’ll use the show to rebuild the brand, just like they’re doing with Superman.
    I really, really, really wouldn't say the CW show is going to rebuild the brand with Superman.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

That's because Superman is no longer a priority for WB.

Lantern is supposedly going to be part of the DCEU. It's job is to flesh out the world of GL so the movie doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting.
    Also, Hamada has flat-out said he isn't going to stop a Superman show because of a possible movie.

If they're really saving Hal and John for the movies, then I'm surprised they're letting them use Sinestro in this. Less so Kilowog, but still surprised they got him too.
    Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    So guggenheim and no hal or Jon, yeah they are making it pretty easy to pass on this show. Really happy for fans of Jessica and Simon but overall not expecting this to be anything worthwhile.

Also I gotta say the way that every article is describing Alan Scott is the argument that most people make against changing major things about long established characters. Literally the first and only description of a character provided in almost all of the articles about the show is that alan is gay. Character has been around 80 years and have boiled him down in every article announcing this show to "he is gay". Talking about how much they are true to the comics and solely referencing the character based on a relatively recent change to his character comes across as disingenuous. I am sure the show will do a better job than the announcement articles but it really comes across as blatant pandering when that is the one and only thing they mention about him, like he is solely defined by that
    Yeah...and then they say "true to the comics" when it's only really true for some AU or Elseworld comics and not the main Alan Scott, although at the rate things are going it's probably inevitable for the main Alan at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Of course they had Alan be gay on the show. That is all he is known for unfortunately. I know some like that version of him since the New 52, but I didn't like the change and how it ruins his marriage. Oh well.

But Guy and Jessica in it are nice at least. They should be fun characters on the show. Jessica is a character that they should push more. I kind of wish they would phase out Simon Baz as I don't think he is a very good character that worked. He just takes up space in my eyes. I guess John and Hal are being saved for larger projects, which I guess isn't a surprise.
    Honestly, this is Simon's time to shine after being cut out of adaptions and screentime because of the other male lead GL's. Hal even stole his role as Jessica's partner in DCSHG.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I really, really, really wouldn't say the CW show is going to rebuild the brand with Superman.
    Look whether you personally like it or not is irrelevant, it’s the general audience this is aimed at. You hate Superdad but that was still a well-received concept in the comics. Flash got a huge popularity boost from his show. Black Lightning has benefitted from his show. After the negative reception of Cavill, the intention with the show is to put out a Superman product that isn’t going to be hugely controversial. I know you don’t like Superdad; That’s fine but most people do like him as a dad and I think that show will find an audience that causes far less controversy than Cavill and Snyder. Smallville got pretty awful at times but to say that it did nothing to help build up Superman’s appeal would be a lie imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    That's because Superman is no longer a priority for WB.
    They’re bringing Snyder back and giving him $70 million, the equivalent of a brand new movie. At this point I’d be shocked if they didn’t let him continue the Snyderverse on HBO Max which means Cavill will still be getting work, so we’ll have two versions of Superman concurrently. But we’re getting way off track, my point was that there is no longer a mandate that only one version of a character can exist at a time. A Green Lantern TV show does not rule out a movie.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-10-2020 at 01:42 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

They’re bringing Snyder back and giving him $70 million, the equivalent of a brand new movie. At this point I’d be shocked if they didn’t let him continue the Snyderverse on HBO Max which means Cavill will still be getting work, so we’ll have two versions of Superman concurrently. But we’re getting way off track, my point was that there is no longer a mandate that only one version of a character can exist at a time. A Green Lantern TV show does not rule out a movie.
    I hope you're right and they're waiting to see how JL does before deciding anything, though the JL is way more than just Superman. Maybe the new cut of JL is a success and more flicks can come forth. I wouldn't hold my breath, but MAYBE.

My point was that Superman being on the CW means there's not a whole lot of movement on a feature film presentation. So who knows what that means for Green Lantern (2011): The Return.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-10-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Lantern is supposedly going to be part of the DCEU. It's job is to flesh out the world of GL so the movie doesn't have to do all the heavy lifting.
    Also, Hamada has flat-out said he isn't going to stop a Superman show because of a possible movie.
    Supposedly? So, just a rumor from nowhere or is there a reason to believe this?
    Look whether you personally like it or not is irrelevant, it’s the general audience this is aimed at. You hate Superdad but that was still a well-received concept in the comics. Flash got a huge popularity boost from his show. Black Lightning has benefitted from his show. After the negative reception of Cavill, the intention with the show is to put out a Superman product that isn’t going to be hugely controversial. I know you don’t like Superdad; That’s fine but most people do like him as a dad and I think that show will find an audience that causes far less controversy than Cavill and Snyder. Smallville got pretty awful at times but to say that it did nothing to help build up Superman’s appeal would be a lie imo.
    Just because I hate Superdad doesn't mean that is the only reason I don't trust this show to help Superman, so please don't make assumptions about why I'm skeptical if I haven't told you, and it feels like the whole Superman should be a dad thing is something that you're way too passionate about if the mere sniff that someone may be talking bad about it delivers this response from you. Did I say anything about that aspect of it? Did I? No. So please don't make an argument over what you believe I am going to say. Truth is I don't trust this show because frankly they've screwed over this Superman every chance they've had since Supergirl first started. He's been presented as a lame, third tier hero who only exists to be showed up by his cousin and Lex. I would be down on this series as a possible "good" thing for Superman even if I loved the Superdad take as much as you do, so don't go on a spiel without knowing my full reasons for feeling a certain way please, thank you very much.

(And sorry if that came across strong, I honestly tried to be polite, but frankly you pissed me off so I couldn't help being a bit more frank - I get it, you love the damned Superdad schtick, but you don't have to be so damn quick to jump to that take's defense, especially when nobody even said anything about it, it'll just anger people when you get all pre-defensive like that. Yes I hate making him a dad, but don't go making assumptions that it's the only reason or the main reason I'm not looking forward to this. You know what they say, when you assume you make an ass of u and me.)
    Last edited by Vakanai; 10-10-2020 at 03:23 PM.

They’re bringing Snyder back and giving him $70 million, the equivalent of a brand new movie. At this point I’d be shocked if they didn’t let him continue the Snyderverse on HBO Max which means Cavill will still be getting work, so we’ll have two versions of Superman concurrently.
    I would say that you should be prepared to be shocked. He's only getting that much because so much of the movie had already been filmed, covid has halted and slowed so much of their production, and they need more content for the streaming service. It's a perfect storm. It's a relatively cheap (compared to the cost of making another movie - 200 million vs 70) and easy way to get a event for HBO Max quick. There's no reason to assume they'll let Snyder continue beyond that.

If the Snyder Cut blows everyone away and exceeds their wildest expectations it could move them to let him continue the Snyder-verse. But his previous DC films doesn't lend much hope there. Snyder's fans got lucky, but this is his final DC foray, not the beginning of a new path.