Page 466 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 366416456462463464465466467468469470476516566966 ... LastLast
Results 6,976 to 6,990 of 20948

Birds of Prey sold around 15.000 copies a month when it was last published as a comic, I don't think displeased fans can be said to have had a massive impact on the box office...
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Birds of Prey sold around 15.000 copies a month when it was last published as a comic, I don't think displeased fans can be said to have had a massive impact on the box office...
    I'm pretty sure there is some kind of strawfallancysomethingman someone more witty than me can explain that with :/

In case you really think that: No, buying the latest issue or not has nothing to do with anything. Its enough to be a CB fan with a love for faithful adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    I'm pretty sure there is some kind of strawfallancysomethingman someone more witty than me can explain that with :/

In case you really think that: No, buying the latest issue or not has nothing to do with anything. Its enough to be a CB fan with a love for faithful adaptations.
    No seriously, us fans have squat influence on how well or bad a movie does. All this talk about it doing poorly because it isn't faithful to the comics is wrong - most people have no clue what the comics are like.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    No seriously, us fans have squat influence on how well or bad a movie does. All this talk about it doing poorly because it isn't faithful to the comics is wrong - most people have no clue what the comics are like.
    That might be true. But, in this era of internet and age of information. People, especially casuals have an image of charaters in their head. Especially, characters like birds of prey who had outside media portrayals and appearance. What casual fans tend to do is check if that particular property is being adapted. Then they compare the promotions with their preconceived notion. If it doesn't match and the character is beloved like batman or superman or even sonic. There will be backlash. Otherwise, there wpuld be apathy.

Coming to the number of casual fans and their influence. I believe it can cause an impact. Because casual fans are a sizable amount. And their word of mouth, social media reactions.. Etc create buzz for a movie and helps marketing . Which inturn creates business for the movie because it seeps into everyday audiences.So these things can impact.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

What's the success rate for female-team movies? I ask, because maybe that's the reason for the film's lack of box-office mojo.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    What's the success rate for female-team movies? I ask, because maybe that's the reason for the film's lack of box-office mojo.
    Last couple of girl gang movies haven't been successful, i think. Charlie's angels for example.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Last couple of girl gang movies haven't been successful, i think. Charlie's angels for example.
    That's what I recall, too. We all know female-led movies can succeed, but is there something about a team of women that can hurt a movie's chances? While I find this nonsensical on a personal level, it doesn't mean it's not a real thing out there.

BANNED

I'll just say it, I'm glad BoP is doing poorly.
    This isn't normally something I'd say but DC has been pushing Harley for years as a pseudo female Deadpool Lite character, and I can only hope this means they'll get the message and stop because it's been awful.
    And I don't care "popular" people wanna tell me this characterization is.

Would they? OF COURSE they would. Its face-palming painful to watch how strongly they would most of the times. They will blame it on everyone and everything but themselves and their hubris. They will claim overestimation of Robbies Harleys popularity (for all the wrong reasons), on it being an all female team (not true) but not once would they acknowledge that it not only sucks as what feels like lack of being a faithful adaptation of the BoP source material and its characters (neither Huntress and even more so Black Canary feel done right as in satisfying live adaptions compared to Quinn or most other DCEU main cast or even non DCEU like the Joker) and related characters (Cass Cain *urgs*) but will shift blame to fans pointing out their grievances as misogynistic, racist man-babies which will drive them even further away. I love MRs Harley Quinn; but its not enough for be to turn that many blind eyes on the stuff I know or at least am pretty sure I know I would not enjoy. From all I heard I would probably even love this movie as it is if it where not trying to relate in any way to the BoP material which makes it even more sad.

No matter if it fails or not; BoP as a faithful adaption is dead. Part of me wants that movie to fail just so the next time they pick up a comic book and yell "make me a movie of this!" they frigging flip the pages and do it right. But a bigger part of me is sad if it does because I know they will never learn the right lessons. That it will not result in faithful adaptions of female superhero/teams or less tokenization in favor of bringing actual POC characters to live (*points to Black Panther* it works!) but rather of them not doing anything at all (or worse, even fail harder 'cause bruised ego next time).

*sigh* No win situation no matter what
    When has WB ever done this? In fact, they're more likely to blame themselves rather than the audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullkid View Post
    I'll just say it, I'm glad BoP is doing poorly.
    This isn't normally something I'd say but DC has been pushing Harley for years as a pseudo female Deadpool Lite character, and I can only hope this means they'll get the message and stop because it's been awful.
    And I don't care "popular" people wanna tell me this characterization is.
    The irony from what all I gather is that shes the only accurate character in the movie. Not saying you're not allowed to dislike her; but MR does a good job portraying her. In other words; comic book movie wise she the only good part of it.

PS: Deadpool is just a cheap knockoff parody mashup of Slade Wilsons Deathstroke & 4th wall breaking She-Hulk! There, I spoke heresy :P

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    When has WB ever done this? In fact, they're more likely to blame themselves rather than the audience.
    I could not pick a link where they as official studio entity say that exactly (... nor do I bother going for a hours long internet search to get some of these). Does not change the general perception. Does not help that variants of that pop up even right now on news/YT channels discussing BoPs BO; and definitely does not help when the studio does not loud, clear and simple enough stomps this popping up with actual reasons, which they don't because someone at their end would then have to take responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yet almost all these faithful adaptions appear to get praise and box office.
    Last edited by The_Lurk; 02-10-2020 at 06:53 AM.

Yet almost all these faithful adaptions appear to get praise and box office.
    Are any CB movies truly faithful (that's going all the way back to the first Superman films)?

Are any CB movies truly faithful (that's going all the way back to the first Superman films)?
    The very first successful Marvel film adaptation to a large amount of liberties with the source material to the point most people didn't originally know it was a comic adaptation. Comic book movies do not live and die by faithfulness to the source material. The MCU wouldn't be as big as it is if that were the case.

The irony from what all I gather is that shes the only accurate character in the movie. Not saying you're not allowed to dislike her; but MR does a good job portraying her. In other words; comic book movie wise she the only good part of it.

PS: Deadpool is just a cheap knockoff parody mashup of Slade Wilsons Deathstroke & 4th wall breaking She-Hulk! There, I spoke heresy :P
    No one is under any impression that Deadpool is the first character to break the fourth wall. And as for the similarities to Deathstroke, people have always been aware of that. Not that anyone really cares.

I could not pick a link where they as official studio entity say that exactly (... nor do I bother going for a hours long internet search to get some of these).
    So that's a no then.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-10-2020 at 07:05 AM.

They don't have to. They just have to play to the general image or perception. That's what people mean by comic book accuracy. The fans are rigid, like that. For example, if adapted goldenage superman Or if i decided to do a goofy batman or batman that kills. Instantly i would face a backlash.

BANNED

I'm pretty sure by accurate they mean to recent series which is full of the exact stuff I just said.
    Deadpool being a parody is common knowledge, so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up like its supposed to mean sonething.
    Next tell you'll tell me Austin Powers is a James Bond parody.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

They aren't great. In the case of BOP the main drawback has been the R rating though. That's incredibly self-defeating for a film like this. Just think how many teenage HQ fans have been left out in the cold because of that decision.

Although the critical and fan reaction has been positive overall, this films potential audience just wasn't big enough. Then they've restricted that audience even further by rating it R. Madness.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!