Page 698 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1985986486886946956966976986997007017027087487981198 ... LastLast
Results 10,456 to 10,470 of 20948
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I guess that now that WB's 2021 slate will be released on HBO Max, they care less about the Snyder Cut and want it out of their system quickly. It'll be released in March (according to Snyder) and WB/HBO Max will likely more focused to promote Godzilla vs King Kong for that month.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I guess that now that WB's 2021 slate will be released on HBO Max, they care less about the Snyder Cut and want it out of their system quickly. It'll be released in March (according to Snyder) and WB/HBO Max will likely more focused to promote Godzilla vs King Kong for that month.
    I'm more hyped for Space Jam 2.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Huh? It's a streaming service, it's going to be available permanently. The game has changed.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-19-2021 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I'm more hyped for Space Jam 2.
    Same here .

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Huh? It's a streaming service, it's going to be available permanently. The game has changed.
    Originally it was meant to be out over the course of 4 weeks in March till middle April. It would've had more chances with the general audience than a 4 hour movie released days/weeks before Godzilla vs Kong.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Originally it was meant to be out over the course of 4 weeks in March till middle April. It would've had more chances with the general audience than a 4 hour movie released days/weeks before Godzilla vs Kong.
    Oh yikes, thank god they nixed that idea. Spilting a movie over the course of 4 weeks is not the move. The weekly format in general is a whole lot of 'meh' unless it's something that really benefits from serialization.

As for Godzilla vs King Kong, I mean who cares? You can just hit 'play' whenever you feel like it, watch both.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 01-19-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It's obviously not going to do well critically, because it isn't what critics expect a CB film to be (as opposed to being good or bad on its own terms). How it does financially is where the real question mark is.
    This is typically why Snyder's films do not review well critically.

I don't think the "it's not what critics expect a CBM to be" thing holds up anymore since stuff like Logan or BOP (at least comparatively) review better.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    This is typically why Snyder's films do not review well critically.
    I disagree. If superior directors like a Hitchcock or Spielberg directed them with the same tone, they still would have been reviewed negatively.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I disagree. If superior directors like a Hitchcock or Spielberg directed them with the same tone, they still would have been reviewed negatively.
    Not really, because tone isn't the only issue people have had with the films. The bloated plot and poorly defined characters and dialogue play a part too to make it all a perfect storm of shittiness. "tone issues" at this point is a strawman.

And had Spielberg directed a DC movie with that tone, he may have had the good sense not to have it be the second installment and waited a bit so we could get invested in all the characters first. Even stuff like Twin Peaks and Evangelion get you invested in their characters before pulling out the rug from under you and getting weird/darker, and they're doing the work of creating and defining their own characters. Snyder's DCEU movies are relying on the strong attachment people have to these characters to do the heavy lifting of making us care without doing much for these versions on its own. We can't care if they are going through a harrowing experience if we barely know these people and they aren't very likeable except for Lois.

Not really, because tone isn't the only issue people have had with the films. The bloated plot and poorly defined characters and dialogue play a part too to make it all a perfect storm of shittiness. "tone issues" at this point is a strawman.
    You're welcome to have that opinion, but if the films had the typical tone seen in your average superhero film, they would have been reviewed better. That doesn't mean they would have been seen as all-time classics, of course, but they wouldn't have had the same level of toxicity. But I know you will disagree, so we might as well end it on that note.

You're welcome to have that opinion, but if the films had the typical tone seen in your average superhero film, they would have been reviewed better. That doesn't mean they would have been seen as all-time classics, of course, but they wouldn't have had the same level of toxicity. But I know you will disagree, so we might as well end it on that note.
    But then they wouldn't even be the films in question, so of course they'd be reviewed differently. And still potentially have other problems (See the reception of WW84, with the complete opposite tone).

Ok I'm done

But then they wouldn't even be the films in question, so of course they'd be reviewed differently.
    My point was the perceived filmmaking flaws were secondary to "It's not my Superman!" or "Batman is a psychotic murderer!" Had the same flaws been made in a cookie-cutter superhero film, they wouldn't have been stressed here ad nauseum.

Would I made the films the same way myself? Nope. They would have been closer to MCU movies (but without the inappropriate humor), but I can accept the Snyderverse as an Elseworld-style universe.

My point was the perceived filmmaking flaws were secondary to "It's not my Superman!" or "Batman is a psychotic murderer!" Had the same flaws been made in a cookie-cutter superhero film, they wouldn't have been stressed here ad nauseum.

Would I made the films the same way myself? Nope. They would have been closer to MCU movies (but without the inappropriate humor), but I can accept the Snyderverse as an Elseworld-style universe.
    I mean, those ARE still film making flaws since the film is banking on the pre-conceived notions and popularity of the characters to sell tickets. it's the whole reason why the film was built up as an event that got people hyped. If you don't deliver on the characters, or if you don't really deliver on a coherent and well executed subversion in place of that, of course people are going to review it poorly (ex: Batman's arc is all "tell, now show" and relying on attachment to previous versions to remember he's a hero who lost his way. This by itself does just present him as an unsympathetic psycho). It's not everyone else's fault that Snyder made a bad movie.

I can see the argument that there should be room for experimental side takes, since there are some interesting seeds of ideas in BvS. Going in that direction for a big budget mainstream production that needs to appeal to as wide an audience as possible to make money just to break even is batshit insane.

(Okay, looks like I'm not done. It's like picking a scab)

I mean, those ARE still film making flaws since the film is banking on the pre-conceived notions and popularity of the characters to sell tickets.
    They are absolutely not flaws in regard to quality, though. I hear you about expectations and I agree with you that it probably didn't help at the box office, but that's a totally different thing.

They are absolutely not flaws in regard to quality, though. I hear you about expectations and I agree with you that it probably didn't help at the box office, but that's a totally different thing.
    I mean, some of the flaws about "not my Superman!" are down to Cavill's wooden performance (not that I blame him too much, he did what he was told) not lending itself to a Superman people are going to be overly attached to. Poor/underwhelming acting is used to determine quality in films.