Page 802 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3027027527927987998008018028038048058068128529021302 ... LastLast
Results 12,016 to 12,030 of 20948
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post

Personally, I’m more concerned about Coates writing this than I am about the possibility of Clark getting changed as he’s primarily an author who writes about race and class and this is his first movie script , and given the fact it’s reported this will be specifically about a “black Superman” then I’m afraid the movie might be too pre-occupied with tackling racial issues to the point it forgets it’s supposed to be a fun escapist blockbuster. .
    And this is another reason why promoting a character like ICON over a black Clark Kent makes sense. Coates writing an ICON script would be a perfect choice considering that specific characters background.

I'd pay for that.
    Don't complain. Create.

Even if you're a fan of the shows, you got to admit, this is hilarious:

https://www.instagram.com/p/COiaTGkH...on_share_sheet

The most successful example of race bending is Samuel L Jackson's Nick Fury to the point where Marvel outright replaced the white Nick Fury with one who resembles the MCU version.
    Iris West seems to be getting there as there are now three adaptations where she is a black woman and we are just shy of another reboot for that to be the case in the comics as well.

It's all up in the air whether any of the other race bending in adaptations will stick. Though I hope Aldis as Hawkman sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Who says they're not using Calvin Ellis?
    The trades I read said they're using Kal-El. Both Clark Kent and Calvin Ellis use that name.
    We'll just have to wait and see.
    It's Clark. But bless your soul for holding out hope for Calvin Ellis/President Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Iris West seems to be getting there as there are now three adaptations where she is a black woman and we are just shy of another reboot for that to be the case in the comics as well.
    CW, DCEU, what's the third?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    CW, DCEU, what's the third?
    Justice Society: World War 2

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeJ77 View Post
    Justice Society: World War 2
    Ah, haven't seen that one yet (waiting on physical copy), was wondering if I missed something.

Sadly, cinematography is this show's best feature. The writing is...it bores me. The family drama, while a bit better than CW's usual family drama, isn't much better. The small town falling apart stuff is cliche. The teenage angst crap is very much the CW. The evil Superman bits from the other earth is just frustrating Snyder phooey again. Basically, the only things I like is the cinematography and the once or twice an episode Clark just gets to be Superman. I see why people starved for good Superman content after 20+ years are flocking to it, but it's just not of interest to me outside of the 5-10 minutes I get to see Superman being Superman.
    Accidentally skipped over Stargirl - it's oddly the opposite of Superman and Lois - I think the show looks kind of cheap, but I love the writing and acting so much better on this show compared to Superman and Lois!
    It feels fun and entertaining comicy booky. Superman and Lois feels like a boring teen angst show meets boring family drama with a small side of Superman. I'll take cartoony over so dull that I couldn't care less. To me it's just "Oh looks, Smallville's a shithole like everywhere else, only less interesting. Joy."

There's just nothing there to hook me.
    Hey, if you don't like it then you don't. But most of the criticism you had for S&L are much bigger problems in Stargirl. I don't know what makes you like the acting on Stargirl better than on S& L. Every single actor on S&L feels like they are their characters (aside from Lana Lang) whereas Stargirl is filled with actors that are clearly reading lines (very rough and awkward lines). Your whole spiel about the small town problems in S&L, just look at the entire subplot and theme of Stargirl with her mother working in city hall or whatever it is and trying to bring back the "heart of the city", all the scenes talking about the "olden days" and falling in love because they both like Ice Cream. Like, you really have to drink the cool aid to get into the show, because it feels a lot like propaganda.

Family drama and teenage angst? Do you remember literally every single supporting character in Stargirl? Brainwave Sr and Jr are the most cliche abusive father plot ever and it's so exagerated (whereas the separation of Lana Lang and her husband along with the fallou in their children is much more subdued). Wildcat and her parents along with the cringy bullying (who the hell would be intimidated by that cheerleader, and why is Henry dating a girl that clearly annoys him and to whom he seems to have no attraction).

Then there's the Hourman kid who acts like every angry kid in a school play. These characters are all playing along with the stereotypes in the most exagerated acting possible. And I'm okay with it and can still enjoy, but you are the one saying that the acting and the writing are better.

I prefer Stargirl to Superman and Lois but both are good shows! DC has really stepped it up in that regard lately with Doom Patrol, Stargirl, Watchmen and SM&L! Gives me hope for the upcoming GLC show

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Hey, if you don't like it then you don't. But most of the criticism you had for S&L are much bigger problems in Stargirl. I don't know what makes you like the acting on Stargirl better than on S& L. Every single actor on S&L feels like they are their characters (aside from Lana Lang) whereas Stargirl is filled with actors that are clearly reading lines (very rough and awkward lines). Your whole spiel about the small town problems in S&L, just look at the entire subplot and theme of Stargirl with her mother working in city hall or whatever it is and trying to bring back the "heart of the city", all the scenes talking about the "olden days" and falling in love because they both like Ice Cream. Like, you really have to drink the cool aid to get into the show, because it feels a lot like propaganda.

Family drama and teenage angst? Do you remember literally every single supporting character in Stargirl? Brainwave Sr and Jr are the most cliche abusive father plot ever and it's so exagerated (whereas the separation of Lana Lang and her husband along with the fallou in their children is much more subdued). Wildcat and her parents along with the cringy bullying (who the hell would be intimidated by that cheerleader, and why is Henry dating a girl that clearly annoys him and to whom he seems to have no attraction).

Then there's the Hourman kid who acts like every angry kid in a school play. These characters are all playing along with the stereotypes in the most exagerated acting possible. And I'm okay with it and can still enjoy, but you are the one saying that the acting and the writing are better.
    I think while there are similarities in Stargirl and S&L, it's in the execution I think where it differs - in Stargirl, it's comic book take on drama and angst, and it never lets that get in the way of the fun. Whereas on S&L, it's just played in such a boring straight serious way that it drags...oh god does it drag...it drags so much. It just can't have fun and be silly. Well, outside of Clark, who's just too damn good for this show,

It's Clark. But bless your soul for holding out hope for Calvin Ellis/President Superman.
    No one has said it's Clark Kent.

And even if it's Clark, it's clearly going to be an Elseworlds type tale as they mentioned drawing from Golden Age Superman and that the film may be a 20th Century period piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    And even if it's Clark, it's clearly going to be an Elseworlds type tale as they mentioned drawing from Golden Age Superman and that the film may be a 20th Century period piece.
    Well you can keep your race swap! I’ll stay forever laughing that Marvel could make Miles popular and give him a film (and game) but DC can’t do the same for Val Zod or Calvin Ellis! What benefit does making Clark Black have towards diversifying DC

Just because it's not officially been confirmed doesn't mean that the writing isn't on the wall in bold type.

Well, it's a black Kal-El, apparently...