Page 101 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 51919798991001011021031041051111512016011101 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The direct market is completely divorced from the mainstream movie going audience. While Aquaman and Wonder Woman can make billions at the box office and in merchandising, their numbers are middling at best in the direct market. Any attempt at promoting these characters will failure because the niche audience that services the direct market is more interested in Batman.
    Which in a way shows how deep a problem the direct comics market is in right now, and DC and Marvel with that. When you can't leverage a hit movie into new customers for your ongoing business, then something is badly broken somewhere. Converting 1% of the moviegoers would be a huge market. Assuming an average ticket price of $10, you end up with 41 million butts in the seats for Wonder Woman, and even if many are repeat customers you probably have a higher chance of converting them. 1% of 41 million is 410,000. That's similar to the big huge round numbers sales for Action Comics, Batman, and Amazing Spider-Man. Converting 1‰ would basically double the sales of Wonder Woman or Aquaman…

Putting aside the obstacles of converting the huge moviegoing audiences, or even a tiny percentage of them, into comic readers for a bit, it's just inexcusable that there wasn't any attempt at making an animated series for Wonder Woman after her tremendous success on the big screen.

Excellent animated shows are crucial at building a more devoted "casual" fanbase who are better versed in a character's mythos and gallery of supporting characters and villains. Not using the opportunity provided by the movie to further showcase Diana's rich world and the diverse characters who inhabit it to children and adults alike is part of a bigger problem.

The direct market is completely divorced from the mainstream movie going audience. While Aquaman and Wonder Woman can make billions at the box office and in merchandising, their numbers are middling at best in the direct market. Any attempt at promoting these characters will fail because of the niche audience that services the direct market is more interested in Batman.

It also doesn't help in regards to Aquaman that DC is trying to run away from the movie take on the character because of bts editorial politics. But that is another story.
    But how are they trying to run away from it, they gave him the beard and long hair back because of the movie take. If they give him tattoos and made him Polynesian, would that somehow instantly generate better sales?

Why people always think you can just transfer the millions who go to see movies or tv shows into a comic book audience monthly is annoying. I'm guilty of it from time to time but any prolonged thought on the matter would show why DC does the things its been doing.
    Every time there's a big movie the fans say that the interest is there and that all these new eyes are going to swarm the lcs and buy up everything with that heroes face on it.

The reality
    The market does not change
    The only explosion you see is maybe 10-20k more readers gain an interest in Supergirl or Flash
    In that already small market its a big jump but that's barely a percent of the millions who went to see the movies or watch the TV shows

So realistically who is DC "Comics" going to be able to entice? You can market all the comics during a TV show or before a movie you want but its not going to reach into another market

For that matter its why I feel movie synergy is a pointless if not silly endeavor designed to trick people more than get them into something

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    But how are they trying to run away from it, they gave him the beard and long hair back because of the movie take.
    They soft rebooted the book with Deconnick and tried to get away from the royalty and politics themes that were featured heavily in both the movie and previous runs of the book. They certainly have made compromises in aesthetics, I'll give you that, but in regards to the story they have lurched in a completely different direction, which I think speaks to both how little confidence DC had for the movie and the contempt higher ups had for the previous direction with this being really their second attempt to go in an all new different direction.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-08-2019 at 12:09 PM.

They soft rebooted the book with Deconnick and tried to get away from the royalty and politics themes that were featured heavily in both the movie and previous runs of the book. They certainly have made compromises in aesthetics, I'll give you that, but in regards to the story they have lurched in a completely different direction, which I think speaks to how little confidence DC had for the movie.
    I think you can only deal with Atlantean politics for so long. I'm personally tired of "heavy is the head that wears the crown" Aquaman stories. Perhaps Deconnick just wanted to write an adventure story. If so, that's no indication that they're trying to purposely avoid the themes of the Aquaman movie.

Agreed that the high-fantasy and high-politics angle isn't going to hurt readers coming from the movie (and many of them go via the trade editions in any case). I think the omission of Mera is going to cause larger trouble there, because she appears to have been a huge hit in the movie.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think you can only deal with Atlantean politics for so long. I'm personally tired of "heavy is the head that wears the crown" Aquaman stories. Perhaps Deconnick just wanted to write an adventure story. If so, that's no indication that they're trying to purposely avoid the themes of the Aquaman movie.
    I disagree. The bold new direction is more a result of editorial. The group editor in charge of the book seems to have wanted a bold new direction since their first attempt with Cullen Bunn flopped during DCYou.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Putting aside the obstacles of converting the huge moviegoing audiences, or even a tiny percentage of them, into comic readers for a bit, it's just inexcusable that there wasn't any attempt at making an animated series for Wonder Woman after her tremendous success on the big screen.

Excellent animated shows are crucial at building a more devoted "casual" fanbase who are better versed in a character's mythos and gallery of supporting characters and villains. Not using the opportunity provided by the movie to further showcase Diana's rich world and the diverse characters who inhabit it to children and adults alike is part of a bigger problem.
    I don't think DC really had much of an option on that front since we saw how CN treats DC cartoons that aren't Teen Titans Go! and I think they're still exploring what kind of original content they want to have on DC Universe.

I don't think the kind of Wonder Woman animated series people want to see would have been even considered by Cartoon Network.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think DC really had much of an option on that front since we saw how CN treats DC cartoons that aren't Teen Titans Go! and I think they're still exploring what kind of original content they want to have on DC Universe.

I don't think the kind of Wonder Woman animated series people want to see would have been even considered by Cartoon Network.
    I'm just happy that the stupid Teen Titans Go! trailer didn't hurt Aquaman at the box office.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

The main dividend I want from a hit comic book movie is booty--trading cards, books, T-shrits, toys, games--that kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The main dividend I want from a hit comic book movie is booty--trading cards, books, T-shrits, toys, games--that kind of thing.
    I got Lego of Mera, Black Manta, Ocean Master and now a bunch of Aquamen. I might have more lego Aquamen now than lego Supermen.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Looks like aquaman may be first again.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4474&p=.htm

Looks like they spoke to soon. Looks like The Upside will knock it out of first place after all.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4474&p=.htm

It would be interesting to know if Aquamans success had a detectable retroactive effect on sales of previous movies in the franchise. Like ppl just now getting hocked because of Aquaman buying Justice League for him playing a major part in there and from there maybe getting hooked to the DCEU.
    Last edited by The_Lurk; 01-12-2019 at 01:04 PM.