Page 1016 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 165169169661006101210131014101510161017101810191020102610661116 ... LastLast
Results 15,226 to 15,240 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Dude!you are reading a stories about masked vigilantes.Moral relativism is the playing field.It's just violence was and was portrayed as fun fisty cuffs.When something slips up from creative side we realise that these guys are jackasses.Superman,batman..etc the whole lot of them.They are vigilates.The only reason people began seeing these guys as "superheroes"(emphasis on heroes) is because the violence is fun.It's like a jackie chan or bruce lee movie.
    I mean, my experience with masked vigilantes is usually threading a thin line and still working relatively within the law.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy action sequences, but I'm not watching to see them drop bodies either. I don't think they have to.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, my experience with masked vigilantes is usually threading a thin line and still working relatively within the law.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy action sequences, but I'm not watching to see them drop bodies either. I don't think they have to.
    What line?they are outlaws.The only reason we cheer for the robin hoods and zorro's are cause the system is corrupt.It always astounded me how in batman franchise gordon gives legitimacy,but that is precisely seen through the prism of moral relativism.Prior to that Superman ran from the police.Robinhood?yeah! wasn't the king's friend.Zorro wasn't chums with law enforcements either.We cheer for the champion of the oppressed cause he is moral right in a corrupt system that siezes to fix itself.

Dropping bodies is gonna happen sometimes.If cap punches you like he does in captain america movies ,you are more than likely dead(ofcourse movies and stories have their own rules).Now it can be either the us agent killing or superman snapping neck of zod.it can also be the elevator and apartment fight scene..The difference is how it's contextualised.

think about it,Captain america has caused deaths while doing their duty before why is it that this becomes a big deal?

Because they see the difference.Moral relativism is the playing field like it or not.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I feel like the MCU's casual dropping of bodies and moral relativism when it comes to killing people is starting to stand out more when we have people like Kate Bishop blowing people up in the heat of the moment and not bring attention to it.

Yeah exactly, if I wanted killing I would watch my beloved 80's action movies.

Seeing ideal heroes kill is weird and DC heroes are supposed to be that, Marvel heroes are supposed to be "outside your window" so it makes sense that they kill

That's a lot better.
    And maybe a little more blue

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What line?they are outlaws.The only reason we cheer for the robin hoods and zorro's are cause the system is corrupt.It always astounded me how in batman franchise gordon gives legitimacy,but that is precisely seen through the prism of moral relativism.Prior to that Superman ran from the police.Robinhood?yeah! wasn't the king's friend.Zorro wasn't chums with law enforcements either.We cheer for the champion of the oppressed cause he is moral right in a corrupt system that siezes to fix itself.

Dropping bodies is gonna happen sometimes.If cap punches you like he does in captain america movies ,you are more than likely dead(ofcourse movies and stories have their own rules).Now it can be either the us agent killing or superman snapping neck of zod.it can also be the elevator and apartment fight scene..The difference is how it's contextualised.

think about it,Captain america has caused deaths while doing their duty before why is it that this becomes a big deal?

Because they see the difference.Moral relativism is the playing field like it or not.
    I guess I expected a good level of control from my Superheroes to where they know how to pull their punches. I think the Big Two comic verses work in their own way which is generally heroes operating independently within the law and aren't unencumbered by the system, but they don't abuse that status.

Walker executed a guy in cold blood. That's usually seen as being beyond what is okay.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yeah exactly, if I wanted killing I would watch my beloved 80's action movies.

Seeing ideal heroes kill is weird and DC heroes are supposed to be that, Marvel heroes are supposed to be "outside your window" so it makes sense that they kill
    Also, Marvel has always been a morally gray world with DC being one of extreme contrast of light and dark. IM is an arms dealer who turned against the very military industrial complex his family helped built. Cap was a patriotic propaganda icon who then turned into someone willing to call out and stand against his country if they do something wrong. It was leaning into this contradictions and contrasts that made the MCU so successful.

It also has to do with what makes sense for the character. Cap killing people during war time makes sense. Especially the way Gruenwald handled it with him only killing in situations where it was necessary. It fits his character. With Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman, are you having them kill because you think it's 'kewl' or are you doing it because there is legitimate story potential in exploring it and it's something that fits the character?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I feel like the MCU's casual dropping of bodies and moral relativism when it comes to killing people is starting to stand out more when we have people like Kate Bishop blowing people up in the heat of the moment and not bring attention to it.
    Marvel has always been like that though

DC is the home of the pacifist heroes who will do everything but kill someone

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Marvel has always been like that though

DC is the home of the pacifist heroes who will do everything but kill someone
    Not quite. Marvel used to have the same morality and operating structure as DC. The heroes didn’t kill, they had secret identities (Iron Man was Tony’s bodyguard), that only relatively recently started to change.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not quite. Marvel used to have the same morality and operating structure as DC. The heroes didn’t kill, they had secret identities (Iron Man was Tony’s bodyguard), that only relatively recently started to change.
    Yeah, although they still generally try to avoid killing more than their MCU counterparts do.

THE FLASH: THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE #2
    Written by KENNY PORTER
    Art by JUAN FERREYRA
    Cover by SEBASTIAN FIUMARA
    Variant cover by ANDY MUSCHIETTI
    $5.99 US | 48 pages | 2 of 3 | Variant $6.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 5/24/22
    Barry Allen's early days as the Flash continue! Barry struggles to balance his new job as a hero with his internship at the crime lab. The pressure starts overwhelming him, literally, when the monstrous molten menace called Tar Pit appears in Central City looking to put an end to the Scarlet Speedster's interference in his family's business! Barry's anxiety kick-starts his powers, sending him phasing through objects with explosive results. Can Barry get a handle on his abilities and stop Tar Pit in his tracks, or will he be tarred and feathered out of Central City for good?

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting this comic is going to come out.

This sounds like more of what I wanted out of a Flash movie than what we're actually getting.

As for the discussion about the double standard in Marvel movies, a lot of the Marvel heroes don't have the aversion to killing they may have once had. Captain America has been willing to kill pretty consistently (even if he doesn't like it very much) since the Brubaker run; ditto Iron Man starting with Warren Ellis (the entire reason Tony wanted Wolverine to be an Avenger was because he wanted someone who would be willing to use lethal force if necessary). Black Panther is perfectly fine with killing, Black Widow is literally a spy, Shang-Chi killed quite a few enemies in his solo series, Hulk is Hulk and Thor generally isn't written as having a problem with that either. So to me, the Avengers killing people in the movies isn't nearly as jarring or controversial as someone like Superman or Batman, who, at least as far as I'm aware, are still generally written as honoring the no-kill rule in modern portrayals. Wonder Woman I've got no problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    As for the discussion about the double standard in Marvel movies, a lot of the Marvel heroes don't have the aversion to killing they may have once had. Captain America has been willing to kill pretty consistently (even if he doesn't like it very much) since the Brubaker run; ditto Iron Man starting with Warren Ellis (the entire reason Tony wanted Wolverine to be an Avenger was because he wanted someone who would be willing to use lethal force if necessary). Black Panther is perfectly fine with killing, Black Widow is literally a spy, Shang-Chi killed quite a few enemies in his solo series, Hulk is Hulk and Thor generally isn't written as having a problem with that either. So to me, the Avengers killing people in the movies isn't nearly as jarring or controversial as someone like Superman or Batman, who, at least as far as I'm aware, are still generally written as honoring the no-kill rule in modern portrayals. Wonder Woman I've got no problem with.
    Oh yeah, the first issue of the Brubaker run had Steve basically dropping people to their deaths...although Sharon commented he was in a mood, so .

Wonder Woman killing runs too much into the savage warrior woman characterization that I think fans want do be done away with. Like I think we have a sharp contrast between the scene of her fighting terrorists in the Whedon cut of JL vs the Snyder cut.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Also, Marvel has always been a morally gray world with DC being one of extreme contrast of light and dark. IM is an arms dealer who turned against the very military industrial complex his family helped built. Cap was a patriotic propaganda icon who then turned into someone willing to call out and stand against his country if they do something wrong. It was leaning into this contradictions and contrasts that made the MCU so successful.

It also has to do with what makes sense for the character. Cap killing people during war time makes sense. Especially the way Gruenwald handled it with him only killing in situations where it was necessary. It fits his character. With Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman, are you having them kill because you think it's 'kewl' or are you doing it because there is legitimate story potential in exploring it and it's something that fits the character?
    exactly, seeing Wonder Woman vaporizing someone in front of frightened children was so jarring for me - just knock him out, you have heightened reflexes