Page 1038 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 385389389881028103410351036103710381039104010411042104810881138 ... LastLast
Results 15,556 to 15,570 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yep, seems like I was right. Though I did enjoy the story more than I expected
    The Batman is having great holds after having the 4th biggest opening weekend for a DC movie ever so people not only liked the movie they rushed out to see it multiple times. You predicted nobody would rush out to see the same story with the same character and that's exactly what happened, it's having some of the best legs for a superhero movie ever. Guess people aren't as sick of "the same old story" like you thought. It could even finish with $900m if it's North American total gets as high as $450m, at this point $400m is locked so I wouldn't rule that out. If it reaches that it would only need $450m overseas to hit $900m.

No Way Home made the money it did because of the nostalgia boost the Raimi and Webb characters gave it. Nobody saw the trailers and thought it looked vastly different to the previous 2 MCU Spider-Man films or the McGuire and Garfield ones. A lighthearted high school Spider-Man is no more unique than another grounded and gritty Batman movie. The Batman won't touch NWH's box office but they can't be compared, one's the 1st in a new series and the other is the 3rd of an established one with the hook of previous incarnations entering a new universe.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is a much better comparison both are the 1st entry into a new series and that made $880m which The Batman has a chance of at the very least getting close to if not surpassing. Keep in mind Homecoming came out in China with 100% of theaters opened vs The Batman entering with around 30% of Chinese theaters closed. Homecoming made $117m in China, because of COVID closings The Batman will likely finish with around $30m.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    The Batman is having great holds after having the 4th biggest opening weekend for a DC movie ever so people not only liked the movie they rushed out to see it multiple times. You predicted nobody would rush out to see the same story with the same character and that's exactly what happened, it's having some of the best legs for a superhero movie ever. Guess people aren't as sick of "the same old story" like you thought. It could even finish with $900m if it's North American total gets as high as $450m, at this point $400m is locked so I wouldn't rule that out. If it reaches that it would only need $450m overseas to hit $900m.

No Way Home made the money it did because of the nostalgia boost the Raimi and Webb characters gave it. Nobody saw the trailers and thought it looked vastly different to the previous 2 MCU Spider-Man films or the McGuire and Garfield ones. A lighthearted high school Spider-Man is no more unique than another grounded and gritty Batman movie. The Batman won't touch NWH's box office but they can't be compared, one's the 1st in a new series and the other is the 3rd of an established one with the hook of previous incarnations entering a new universe.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is a much better comparison both are the 1st entry into a new series and that made $880m which The Batman has a chance of at the very least getting close to if not surpassing. Keep in mind Homecoming came out in China with 100% of theaters opened vs The Batman entering with around 30% of Chinese theaters closed. Homecoming made $117m in China, because of COVID closings The Batman will likely finish with around $30m.
    It wasn’t just nostalgia

It was the most anticipated movie of the year,
    The only movie of intrest playing for about 8 weeks in deluxe theaters
    Our first big step back into the larger marvel story since endgame not counting the television shows

Every upcoming marvel movie is not gonna hit those numbers, so this bar being set for Batman is lame

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    This isn't about Marvel vs DC.

And to be clear, Homecoming was released in July, and had to compete with Despicable Me 3, Dunkirk, Baby Driver, War For the Planet if thr Apes, Atomic Blonde, The Mummy, Emoji Movie, and there were other popular superhero movies still in theaters (like Wonder Woman and GOTG 2)

Whereas The Batman's only competition for the next month is Morbius and Sonic 2

Anyway, we told you it wasn't gonna hit 1 Billion, and it didn't. Even if China and Russia were at full capacity it wouldn't hit 1 Billion. Nobody ever thought the movie would bomb. What we knew was that even with good reviews, this Batman movie marketed itself like it was The Dark Knight all over again, and that audiences wouldn't go crazy over it. And they didn't. Two Weekends and it still hasn't crossed 500 million.
    Which isn't awful, but is quite average.
    China was a small percentage of how much money the Nolan Trilogy made.
    Last edited by Alpha; 03-17-2022 at 05:47 AM.

And to be clear, Homecoming was released in July, and had to compete with Despicable Me 3, Dunkirk, Baby Driver, War For the Planet if thr Apes, Atomic Blonde, The Mummy, Emoji Movie, and there were other popular superhero movies still in theaters (like Wonder Woman and GOTG 2)

Anyway, we told you it wasn't gonna hit 1 Billion, and it didn't. Even if China and Russia were at full capacity it wouldn't hit 1 Billion. Nobody ever thought the movie would bomb. What we knew was that even with good reviews, this Batman movie marketed itself like it was The Dark Knight all over again, and that audiences wouldn't go crazy over it. And they didn't. Two Weekends and it still hasn't crossed 500 million.
    Yea I never said the movie wouldn't be a hit but that I felt skeptical that it could break a billion dollars. Very good movie but there was nothing about it that seemed 'must see' that would drive that many people to the theaters. Joker had an appeal that pretty much all superhero movies lack which is why I never used it as a template for what to expect. That film will continue to be an anomaly as far as box office goes. Like NWH, it captured the zeitgist except as a rated R film which was always a tough ask for a Batman movie coming just a few years from the last Batman movie

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

How many billion-dollar films pre-pandemic would have made it this year? I have to think not all of them. The flip side of that is The Batman would have sailed over a billion a few years ago. Even No Way Home would have been that much more impressive at the box office in 2019, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

It has passed $500 million...

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    How many billion-dollar films pre-pandemic would have made it this year? I have to think not all of them. The flip side of that is The Batman would have sailed over a billion a few years ago. Even No Way Home would have been that much more impressive at the box office in 2019, IMO.
    No Russia release, South Korea seeing its worst bout of COVID, China seeing its second worst bout, an ongoing war in Europe, and a pandemic still affecting other countries. The Batman possibly grossing 800 million plus at the box office despite all these challenges is beyond impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    No Russia release, South Korea seeing its worst bout of COVID, China seeing its second worst bout, an ongoing war in Europe, and a pandemic still affecting other countries. The Batman possibly grossing 800 million plus at the box office despite all these challenges is beyond impressive.
    Right. In the proper context, it's doing damn good. It's already made enough to guarantee a sequel, so that's all I care about, anyway.

Yeah, people are acting like it not doing as good as NWH is some damming sign that people are over "grim and gritty" Batman movies. You really think a more fantastical comic booky Batman movie would be doing so much better? Considering what's been pointed out with covid, war, etc. and considering how big a deal NWH was as the first major MCU movie in a few years with a returning hero the audience love and bringing back previous version of Spider-Man and villains for the nostalgia on top? It's just silly to compare these movies. It's also silly to compare it to the Nolan trilogy, this is a first installment, and people love it from all reports. So it's not NWH or Joker, so it won't cross the magic one billion number, trying to pass it off as just doing average as if this was a normal pre-pandemic year and no war in Europe as an excuse to knock it. It's doing great, and odds are that the sequel will do even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yeah, people are acting like it not doing as good as NWH is some damming sign that people are over "grim and gritty" Batman movies. You really think a more fantastical comic booky Batman movie would be doing so much better?
    I'm not comparing it to NWH, and I'm not saying the problem is that it's "Grim and Gritty". The Nolan films weren't even what I consider Dark or Gritty, they were intense thrillers.

What I did complain about was that the marketing campaign used the same style made it seem exactly like The Dark Knight, down to the actual plot, and I said that it had a limited appeal, unlike all the people raving about how this movie would be massive.

Right. In the proper context, it's doing damn good. It's already made enough to guarantee a sequel, so that's all I care about, anyway.
    It's Batman...It was always going to make a sequel if they wanted to.
    You could have a 2 year old direct Batman and it would probably make money

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    It's Batman...It was always going to make a sequel if they wanted to.
    You could have a 2 year old direct Batman and it would probably make money
    I hear you, but if the film couldn't at least bring in double its budget, a sequel wouldn't be happening.

I hear you, but if the film couldn't at least bring in double its budget, a sequel wouldn't be happening.
    Yeah, the question is would it be a sequel or a reboot... but we know there will be more Batman :P

It's already at $500m after 14 days in theaters with only 1 day (Thursday previews) in China and no Russia, in the end this will make around $850m more or less, only $150m short of a billion so it's not like it'll end up that far from that magical number. It got an A- cinema score and has some of the best legs for a superhero movie ever, where's your proof nobody went crazy for it? You speak in facts when it's just your own opinion.

Almost like you can't just admit you were wrong, you thought this would underperform because of the supposed similarities it has to the Batman movies when the opposite has happened. Homecoming had 3D, China, Russia, Holland's Spider-Man debuted in Civil War which got viewers familiar with him vs "lol the guy from Twilight" which The Batman had to fight against, the MCU branding and novelty Spider-Man's 1st MCU solo film, it had it's own benefits The Batman lacked.

Again, where's your proof it wouldn't have done $1b without a full capacity China and Russia? Joker did $37m in Russia and most superhero movies do at least $100m in China . The Batman can finish extremely close to $900m as is, adding a potential $137m would seal a billion. I'm beginning to think you have a weird grudge against admitting you could be wrong so I doubt you'll concede that this likely would've done a billion with China and Russia.

im just wondering why most of the batman critcisms comes down to, "it wasnt like the mcu enough." there are some genuine criticisms you could use but thats one thing people say a lot. i loved the movie, just felt a little bit too long for me and kinda got slow.

also can we stop comparing every single piece of batman media with the dark knight, please. i dont think the movie tried to copy or emulate the dark knight at all.