Page 1091 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 9159199110411081108710881089109010911092109310941095110111411191 ... LastLast
Results 16,351 to 16,365 of 20948

I get a shared universe worked for Marvel but DC is even further behind than they were in 2013.

DC always embraced the multiverse aspect and it's a shame Marvel stole their thunder, but Marvel isn't going to do much with that outside of a few projects. I really think I'd be smarter on DC focusing on projects that embrace the creators behind it. Not saying there can't be a shared universe but clearly, that formula is a struggle for them.

Different interpretations can co-exist, Flash is kind of in trouble but the whole multiverse aspect is there and they'd be better off putting their foot down and making future projects centered around the story, not the universe.

If they see an actor they like in a role cast them again, do some synergies when it works, but leave the door open for multiple things. From, a business perspective, this might actually be dumb but I do think with the right marketing they can rebuild what they lost by starting over and allowing breathing room for the movie, show, cartoon, etc. rather than everything being interconnected.

I still watch the MCU but there is a level of sameness from a formula standpoint that I actually think took away from a few projects that had the potential to be drastically different. The same universe doesn't need to equal same tone, and that could be what DC does to separate themselves. But I still find it far more limiting. Plus, I do think some characters need to be recast, the performances are mid for a few.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

To be honest I don't think even the general audience is all that invested or worked up about a shared DC Film Universe at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be honest I don't think even the general audience is all that invested or worked up about a shared DC Film Universe at this point.
    Not the current one no, but they do want a shared universe I suspect.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Variety piece announcing the overhauling of DC's film division explicitly mentioned Joker as a movie that the Discovery people absolutely adored and thought of as the perfect way to market some of its characters. I don't think they're going to entirely cut off all non-DCEU media.

Anyway, great piece by Jim Lee jut got unveiled today, poor timing aside given the fate of the Arrowverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The Variety piece announcing the overhauling of DC's film division explicitly mentioned Joker as a movie that the Discovery people absolutely adored and thought of as the perfect way to market some of its characters. I don't think they're going to entirely cut off all non-DCEU media.

Anyway, great piece by Jim Lee jut got unveiled today, poor timing aside given the fate of the Arrowverse.

It being so jumbled feels like it's just about summing DC at this point .

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Do you think Marvel fans just sit around laughing at us?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Well, it's not like they're perfect either, it's just DC's blow ups tend to make a bigger impact or last longer.

If nothing else, Peacemaker has both a higher RT score than Moon Knight and broke HBO Max records, so at least there's that.

Ultimate Member

No they are not laughing at the fans.

They are laughing at ownership that had all the so-called icons and still could not get it right (with a few exceptions).

It's one thing for Iron Man, Thor and Cap America to make it big. It's another when GOTG and especially ANTMAN will have more movies than Flash and Green Lantern.

Hate movements tried to derail Black Panther and Cap Marvel on their way to billion dollar box offices.

Maybe the lesson for DC is keep all the cooks out of the kitchen.

Lets work on getting Superman the right script and put out some decent budget films and regain the public trust.

They do NOT have to be in the same universe.

The world will not end if a Wonder Twins movie costs $30 million and makes $70 million in box office.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    If nothing else, Peacemaker has both a higher RT score than Moon Knight and broke HBO Max records, so at least there's that.
    At least we have 1 thing compared to their 5-6 marvel shows lol

I don't give a crap about Marvel, their movies and tv shows are mostly trash and Martin Scorsese lives went free in their hands. DC is having three, four movies come out this year and and it isn't enough? Is this not entitlement? DC has been going from strength to strength; the Suicide Squad, Peacemaker and The Batman, but DC fans are going "Boohoo, its not as big as Marvel!"
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I don't give a crap about Marvel, their movies and tv shows are mostly trash and Martin Scorsese lives went free in their hands. DC is having three, four movies come out this year and and it isn't enough? Is this not entitlement? DC has been going from strength to strength; the Suicide Squad, Peacemaker and The Batman, but DC fans are going "Boohoo, its not as big as Marvel!"
    I’m actually gonna agree here.

I mean, even if the news of the Wonder Twins movie’s cancellation is to be believed, it’s ONE movie out of the dozen or so planned.

Also, let’s look at the year DC and the DCEU has had: a critically acclaimed series on HBO Max about a character almost nobody had heard of before; a financially and critically successful relaunch of one of the most beloved superheroes in the genre; and two more movies beings released, both of which featuring relatively obscure characters and major stars in the likes of Helen Mirren, Pierce Brosnan, and Dwayne Johnson; and one of those is a sequel to another movie that was critically acclaimed and successful.

So, that’s not a bad year to be having.

But any slight inkling of change and things being unsettled, and the fans on this forum immediately jump to the worst conclusion. Like, c’mon guys…

And here I am on the sidelines thinking corporate brand loyalty is wack.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    I’m actually gonna agree here.

I mean, even if the news of the Wonder Twins movie’s cancellation is to be believed, it’s ONE movie out of the dozen or so planned.

Also, let’s look at the year DC and the DCEU has had: a critically acclaimed series on HBO Max about a character almost nobody had heard of before; a financially and critically successful relaunch of one of the most beloved superheroes in the genre; and two more movies beings released, both of which featuring relatively obscure characters and major stars in the likes of Helen Mirren, Pierce Brosnan, and Dwayne Johnson; and one of those is a sequel to another movie that was critically acclaimed and successful.

So, that’s not a bad year to be having.

But any slight inkling of change and things being unsettled, and the fans on this forum immediately jump to the worst conclusion. Like, c’mon guys…
    I think unfortunately, the fanbase has always had a chip on its shoulder. The DC vs. Marvel fan war has been a thing for as far back as the Silver Age, but I think the launch and subsequent success of the MCU really escalated things. I saw a thread on Twitter years ago that really summed up the complex some fans had well. The MCU first blew up huge in 2012, the same year the last Nolan Batman movie came out. And those Nolan movies had been extremely successful both critically and commercially, so a lot of fans who put stock in such rivalries had gotten swelled heads and assumed that sort of cinematic domination would continue unabated with the launch of their own shared universe the very next year. Even if they were coming to the shared universe party after Marvel, they'd do it better. After all, the last two Nolan Batman movies had both grossed over a billion each and even won several Oscars!

But then Superman, who was supposed to be the bedrock of their universe, launched to middling critical reception and a box office haul that, while good, was less than expected and significantly less than Iron Man 3 that same summer. Their confidence was rocked, and then things got even worse with the release of BVS (which again got handily outperformed by the big Marvel release that Summer) a few years later, and the subsequent series of shakeups that came after it that we're still feeling today. I don't blame anyone for being skeptical or nervous, since I do see where that sort of complex comes from.

...But again, I myself have largely avoided that because the whole rivalry means shit to me. I just want enjoyable superhero movies and I'll take 'em from whoever makes 'em.
    Last edited by Holt; 05-02-2022 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    At least we have 1 thing compared to their 5-6 marvel shows lol
    Well, if we're just counting shows set in the Cinematic Universe, but WB/DC also allowed for different shows on the CW and their streaming services (of debatable quality but still), while the MCU is always...the MCU, which works but I'm not sure we'd get Superman and Lois, Doom Patrol or Stargirl if they couldn't be jurry rigged into the DCEU.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, if you believe in basic human decency and that if you have the power or opportunity to help someone, you take it, I think it makes sense. I don't think Clark does it to feel good about himself because he'd still do it even if the world turned on him unless you believe in evil Superman too much. It's not because it's easy for him otherwise he would stop after struggling with Supervillains. He wouldn't have fought Doomsday to the death.

Lex's argument lacks merit because A. he's too self-involved and B. he projects his own insecurities and ego on Superman.
    Yes,but that has to be based on people's will.

He would do it..but, that's just his morality acting up.Even then he wants the approval of others deep down.his instinct is to do the things for the acceptance.Play the boyscout paragon virtues who gives sermons cause he is sooooo good.I.do "believe" in evil superman.Saviors can be totalitarians or cult leaders.Easily.These guys do it with the air of righteousness..which i find to be pernicious.It is easy for Superman would die for acceptance.It harder for superman to do the other thing.Just like batman is still vengance and trauma driven.

Well,yes.he is self involved.But, doesn't mean he ain't right.He does project.In turn,his projected feelings are returned or projected back by superman proving right.Superman plays the father and savior to lex himself...Superman deserved the spit here..

Who the hell does clark think he is? Treating people as equals is what i do and stand by.You said,you would either eat with luffy or sock him..With myself and this guy there would only be a punch fest.I hate bullies and self-righteous paternalistic shmucks who are hypocrites.Clark himself doesn't do everything to help humanity.He picks and chooses his battles.I tend to think People like clark cause more damage than not.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-02-2022 at 11:21 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"