Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Still feels like it might be on the bubble.
    A Zatanna movie cannot be cheap

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Tho the silver lining could mean more members of the Batfamily will finally get live action movie attention.
    I'd like to see a Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown movie, but I kinda doubt we're going to get one unless it's in the Reeves Batman series, a one-off like Joker, or Flash is a full on DCEU reboot.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Neither can a GL show...unless they tone down Zatanna a lot and make her more Constantine-lite .
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'd like to see a Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown movie, but I kinda doubt we're going to get one unless it's in the Reeves Batman series, a one-off like Joker, or Flash is a full on DCEU reboot.
    I guess if we get a Batgirl trilogy...

Ultimate Member

Or the Zatanna show...I dunno about Static or Milestone.
    Static should not be touched. We have seen guys with NO budget make better than some CW shows short films with Static.

At worst a Static movie should NOT cost over $30 million.

Zatanna shouldn't either.

In both cases it comes down to what is the actual plot.

If they stick to the first 2 issues of OG Static-you have him and Hotstreak. Don't try to do Blood Syndicate and other bang babies cameos. Don't adapt Vita's Static. Just focus on Static and Hotstreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Snyderverse folk still think he’s about to #BringZackBack, but everyone else is realizing this guy is serious about playing it safe and not taking risks. If you enjoyed the Hamada era I dunno how you’ll feel about the Zaslov era.
    I agree with you but Snyder is definitely not a risk. You could say that his vision/direction is pretty different from what DC wants/wanted but there's nothing risky about raising $500k for AFSP and releasing one of the most-streamed superhero movies of all time. He has his corner of a few million loyal fans who will support anything he does and it's not out of the realm of believability that a Snyderverse could exist separate from everything else (I don't believe it will though) . He seems pretty divisive on this website but it's just a fact that he is wildly successful. I think DC/WB just doesn't want to go in that direction. Personally if I were an exec I'd say what's wrong with even more money? I'd say there can't possibly be a downside to bringing him back aside from haters being haters. *shrug*

I don't mind cost cutting. Their going to have to start off small and then build up to the big stuff. The MCU started off with Iron Man which was relatively grounded and even the first Avengers fight was limited to a specific block in NYC. The DCAU started off with Batman: TAS. The Arrowverse started off with Green Arrow.

I think you can do Zatanna and Static Shock on a smaller budget. Not as small as a budget as what the average CW superhero show gets but around the same level as what Superman & Lois are getting.

GL*would* be a hugely costly show. No way you can do his power justice without a movie level budget at least. The fact that the same people involved in the 2011 movie are also working on this doesn't fill me with much confidence.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

I feel like a really good script and horror/surrealist director like The Green Knight's David Lowery could make it work on a tight budget.

Despite dissing Raimi on the previous page, I feel that if he got a good enough script, he might also make a budget Zatanna film work.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I agree with you but Snyder is definitely not a risk. You could say that his vision/direction is pretty different from what DC wants/wanted but there's nothing risky about raising $500k for AFSP and releasing one of the most-streamed superhero movies of all time. He has his corner of a few million loyal fans who will support anything he does and it's not out of the realm of believability that a Snyderverse could exist separate from everything else (I don't believe it will though) . He seems pretty divisive on this website but it's just a fact that he is wildly successful. I think DC/WB just doesn't want to go in that direction. Personally if I were an exec I'd say what's wrong with even more money? I'd say there can't possibly be a downside to bringing him back aside from haters being haters. *shrug*
    I’m going to be blunt: this take is completely disconnected from reality.

ZSJL was one of the least popular new movies on HBO Max despite having zero competition. WW1984 and TSS had more views. BvS had one of the worst second weekend drop offs in history in addition to getting savagely torn to pieces by critics. That shows the audience spread bad word of mouth for the movie. MoS made less profit than Shazam. Snyder has a very vocal but small fanbase. Certainly not enough to justify spending $400 million to make more movies. Snyder is done and he’s not coming back and it’s primarily because he didn’t bring in enough money to justify keeping him. If Zaslav was in charge back then you’d never have even gotten the SC.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I’m going to be blunt: this take is completely disconnected from reality.

ZSJL was one of the least popular new movies on HBO Max despite having zero competition. WW1984 and TSS had more views. BvS had one of the worst second weekend drop offs in history in addition to getting savagely torn to pieces by critics. That shows the audience spread bad word of mouth for the movie. MoS made less profit than Shazam. Snyder has a very vocal but small fanbase. Certainly not enough to justify spending $400 million to make more movies. Snyder is done and he’s not coming back and it’s primarily because he didn’t bring in enough money to justify keeping him. If Zaslav was in charge back then you’d never have even gotten the SC.
    HBO Max gained 2.7 million new subscribers in the first three months of 2021 due to GvK and ZSJL. ZSJL took up 3 spaces on the Amazon best seller list and was the #1 blu ray release. Personally, I don't know a single person who has "Samba TV." But I do know the film had over 160 million views in China alone on the Chinese video service Migu-- if you multiply that by $10 per ticket that's $1.6 billion in China alone.

And you can take it from HBO Max themselves:

TSS may have made more money overall, but its budget was twice that of ZSJL and was not successful in making back everything. The Zack Snyder fan base is not small. I personally tuned into JusticeCon last year where there were over 100k people in almost every panel, even the smaller ones. Like I said, Snyder is divisive, but not risky, and claiming his fanbase is "small but vocal" is a denial of reality.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    HBO Max gained 2.7 million new subscribers in the first three months of 2021 due to GvK and ZSJL. ZSJL took up 3 spaces on the Amazon best seller list and was the #1 blu ray release. Personally, I don't know a single person who has "Samba TV." But I do know the film had over 160 million views in China alone on the Chinese video service Migu-- if you multiply that by $10 per ticket that's $1.6 billion in China alone.
    Oh you’re one of those Snyder fans. Lol if you think ZSJL actually made over a billion dollars and WB decided to not bring Snyder back out of spite I dunno what to tell ya. You’re wrong, he’d be put back in charge in a heartbeat if that was true.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Oh you’re one of those Snyder fans. Lol if you think ZSJL actually made over a billion dollars and WB decided to not bring Snyder back out of spite I dunno what to tell ya. You’re wrong, he’d be put back in charge in a heartbeat if that was true.
    I just call it how I see it. Nobody can really know the true story of what happened behind the scenes and what his relationship with WB is but the numbers don't lie, the movie was successful and its release had nothing to do with "restoring the snyderverse," it was getting the film released in the wake of his personal tragedy. Zack says he would come back but I don't believe that, I think he just says that to appease his fans. No matter how successful he is WB will never give him full creative control and that's probably what it came down to. Man of Steel was the only DC movie he made (aside from Watchmen) that was as close as possible to his original conception. I think he just wants to make his own movies which is fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Veni View Post
    Zaslav definetly isn't Ike Perlmutter. Perlmutter didn't want movies with female and black leads to be made.
    Wonder what Perlmutter’s reaction was when he saw how much money Wonder Woman, Black Panther and Captain Marvel made! In your face Perlmutter!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is fine for that movie but trying to do a one size fits all with everybody else does not work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    And that's great. Unfortunately, last time WB were in a position where they had a dark, gritty Batman movie that made a billion dollars and won tons of awards, they took the exact wrong message from it.
    Here's the thing about that: you both are assuming that Todd Phillips is a one trick pony. This is the same guy who directed Old School and the Hangover movies and then turned around and made Joker...

But Zatanna has always been planned as a theatrical release, not a streaming release.

Extraordinary Member

Neither can a GL show...unless they tone down Zatanna a lot and make her more Constantine-lite .

Zatanna is all about presentation, honestly after everything the animated films have done with Constantine I expect him to be more visual with his abilities.

Have been really liking the current comic series with all three characters working together. Would go for something like that.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)