Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    John Wesley Shipp probably still waiting on his next call to reprise Jay.
    Stargirl is doing such a good job with the classic team. It's gonna be hard for the movies to top.
    Assassinate Putin!

I keep forgetting (or wishing I could forget) Guggenheim is involved in this .

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

John Wesley Shipp probably still waiting on his next call to reprise Jay.
    This is dc's premiere team we are talking about as of now..cast someone young for alan and jay..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    This is dc's premiere team we are talking about as of now..cast someone young for alan and jay..
    Jay doesn't need to be young.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Jay doesn't need to be young.
    i would prefer jsa being a team that's relevant not justice league's grandfather.I don't care for the justice league itself.So there is that.Jay, alan,..etc the jsa as a whole is feel more pulp fiction than justice league.i much prefer their costumes,how they work...etc.So,them being stuck in the past sucks..Modernising these guys instead is what i would want.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-10-2022 at 10:44 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    i would prefer jsa being a team that's relevant not justice league's grandfather.I don't care for the justice league itself.So there is that.Jay, alan,..etc the jsa as a whole is feel more pulp fiction than justice league.i much prefer their costumes,how they work...etc.So,them being stuck in the past sucks..Modernising these guys instead is what i would want.
    I mean, Jay gives as good as his successors despite his age, which is kind of the point. I think the JSA can be a good mix of ages with the next generation mixing with the elder statesmen, it's part of why Johns' run worked as well as it did.

It's not like Hawkman is as young as he looks.

BANNED

I mean, Jay gives as good as his successors despite his age, which is kind of the point. I think the JSA can be a good mix of ages with the next generation mixing with the elder statesmen, it's part of why Johns' run worked as well as it did.

It's not like Hawkman is as young as he looks.
    True. And Alan is still a powerhouse at his age. I enjoy more youthful versions of the JSA (and I really enjoyed the early years of the Earth 2 series), but them being surviving veterans of a bygone era has always been cool to me.

And I might be biased since the 90s TV series got me into the Flash, but John Wesley Shipp as Jay Garrick is cooler than all the younger cast members on the current Flash show.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    True. And Alan is still a powerhouse at his age. I enjoy more youthful versions of the JSA (and I really enjoyed the early years of the Earth 2 series), but them being surviving veterans of a bygone era has always been cool to me.

And I might be biased since the 90s TV series got me into the Flash, but John Wesley Shipp as Jay Garrick is cooler than all the younger cast members on the current Flash show.
    I think young JSA works if you're setting it in WWII with the classic members but I don't need the classic members to be young in the present-day outside like an Earth-2 Elseworld like in the New 52.

I think young JSA works if you're setting it in WWII with the classic members but I don't need the classic members to be young in the present-day outside like an Earth-2 Elseworld like in the New 52.
    WWII is kind of getting too far in the past tho.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    People always get intense about this, but in my opinion, you need to ditch the WW2 stuff. It gets too convoluted after a while. Most media versions depict them as heroes of a bygone era without specifying an exact time and it works fine. They can even go the route of the Flash TV show where it was revealed that Jay DID fight in WW2 on a time travel adventure.

I kind of prefer it when they're on Earth 2 and you can give it a kind of art deco, retro style. They can be veterans of a fictional war, sort of how Marvel did with their Vietnam characters like Punisher and Iron Man.

Astonishing Member

Considering Miller’s apparently gone AWOL I suspect the flash film isn’t likely to see release

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Considering Miller’s apparently gone AWOL I suspect the flash film isn’t likely to see release
    It's still an entire year out. Can people stop acting like it's releasing tomorrow lol

The JSA doesn't really work without their WW2 ties. Unlike Captain America they just don't have an evergreen explanation for their longevity but I don't think cutting them off from WW2 is the answer either.

As many others on this board, including myself, have suggested. The best solution would be the JSA being trapped in another dimension in 1955 and by the time they get out, decades have passed, the team settles down, have kids and a few years later Superman and a new generation of heroes pop up. This inspires the surviving JSA members to become active again and it also inspires their kids to become heroes as well.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    People always get intense about this, but in my opinion, you need to ditch the WW2 stuff. It gets too convoluted after a while. Most media versions depict them as heroes of a bygone era without specifying an exact time and it works fine. They can even go the route of the Flash TV show where it was revealed that Jay DID fight in WW2 on a time travel adventure.

I kind of prefer it when they're on Earth 2 and you can give it a kind of art deco, retro style. They can be veterans of a fictional war, sort of how Marvel did with their Vietnam characters like Punisher and Iron Man.
    I can't really imagine the classic JSA existing without WWII. Like, you can come up with a fictional equivalent, but it's still basically WW2. I think people fuss a little too much with the age and the dating when present-day Superheroes barely age as is.

And like John Venus suggests you can come up with solutions for them existing in WWII and the present-day.

I mean, Stargirl's definitely played kind of fast and loose with the dating and how old everybody is without drawing too much attention to it, and I don't think that's been a dealbreaker for the show.