Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Except there have been examples in media.
    What examples? Please list them.

Mom of girl ezra ran off with now begging people to call the police if you see him! WB has to be hitting their heads on the wall!

The new allegations against Miller are pretty awful, though. Being a weirdo and getting into bar scuffles is one thing. Grooming kids is quite another. It's too late to do anything about this Flash movie, but I would be astounded if they don't replace Miller for the next one.
    I do wonder who in the WB hierarchy has been protecting Miller. My guess is it’s Hamada since he’s the only one left from the AT&T era, and this may be what pushes Zaslav to kick both Hamada and Miller out.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Mom of girl ezra ran off with now begging people to call the police if you see him! WB has to be hitting their heads on the wall!
    Barry doesn't deserve this imbecile. Still, at this point this is clearly about more than fictional characters so I hope when all is said and done noone else gets hurt and this guy gets the help he so clearly needs.

They only recently placed Jay in WW2. It was basically a retcon. The team is kind of retro and meant to be older, so I don't mind them keeping that aesthetic. Just, functionally, you can't really have them be WW2 vets in the present day and somehow still have all the Infinity Inc characters be so young and have the spouses alive. It doesn't make any sense anymore.

Like I said, Marvel replaced Vietnam with a fictional war because it was too tied into the origins of some of their characters to ignore, but you can't really have Tony and Rhodey as Vietnam vets and have it make sense. You can keep most of the history intact, but its always a problem in the long run if you tie characters to one real world event.

Like I said, everybody always gets pissed at the suggestion, but it's true. The WW2 origin doesn't work anymore.
    I just don't see the issue with having a workaround for the WWII origin. It's not the hardest continuty bit that has had to be finessed in the history of DC Comics and it's an important part of the teams' backstory and vibe, especially for fans of the group.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just don't see the issue with having a workaround for the WWII origin. It's not the hardest continuty bit that has had to be finessed in the history of DC Comics and it's an important part of the teams' backstory and vibe, especially for fans of the group.
    Having WW2 vets with living spouses and young kids, for one thing. Even if you kill off the spouses, eventually Jay and Alan become these immortal, Highlander-esque characters that have lost everybody, etc. People are clinging to the WW2 thing, which rarely plays a part in anything anymore and it means these characters either need to die or be depicted as these Wolverine types that have been around for lifetimes. Jenny and Todd definitely make no sense being the ages they are.

It's always weird to me how many times real world events have been retconned out so they can exist in modern continuity, but people are so unwilling to even entertain the idea that the JSA needs the same treatment.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    What examples? Please list them.
    I already did. The version on Smallville is one example, as is Jay Garrick on the current Flash series (though the recently retconned that he fought nazis in ww2 on a time travel adventure).

Having WW2 vets with living spouses and young kids, for one thing. Even if you kill off the spouses, eventually Jay and Alan become these immortal, Highlander-esque characters that have lost everybody, etc. People are clinging to the WW2 thing, which rarely plays a part in anything anymore and it means these characters either need to die or be depicted as these Wolverine types that have been around for lifetimes. Jenny and Todd definitely make no sense being the ages they are.

It's always weird to me how many times real world events have been retconned out so they can exist in modern continuity, but people are so unwilling to even entertain the idea that the JSA needs the same treatment.
    I think the WWII origin and the teams' history does play a big part in the team as a whole, at least as far as their backstory is concerned...and I think people do just take it for granted that the team, for one reason or another, are long-lived.

I get it's not maybe smooth but I don't think taking the team out of WWII is ideal either because you'll still have to basically work around removing it or having to make up for it somehow.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Barry doesn't deserve this imbecile. Still, at this point this is clearly about more than fictional characters so I hope when all is said and done noone else gets hurt and this guy gets the help he so clearly needs.
    Yeah, I have to agree there. My favorite character and a movie I've waited for forever and its tainted by this creepo. It's unfortunate, but I guess if I can still enjoy Seven or LA Confidential despite Kevin Spaceys presence, I can stomach this just once. I just hope the kid is ok and, as you said, Miller gets help.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the WWII origin and the teams' history does play a big part in the team as a whole, at least as far as their backstory is concerned...and I think people do just take it for granted that the team, for one reason or another, are long-lived.

I get it's not maybe smooth but I don't think taking the team out of WWII is ideal either because you'll still have to basically work around removing it or having to make up for it somehow.
    Like I said, you could say the same about Punisher and Iron Man with Vietnam or Reed Richards and Ben Grimm in WW2 and the Cold War.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The JSA doesn't really work without their WW2 ties. Unlike Captain America they just don't have an evergreen explanation for their longevity but I don't think cutting them off from WW2 is the answer either.

As many others on this board, including myself, have suggested. The best solution would be the JSA being trapped in another dimension in 1955 and by the time they get out, decades have passed, the team settles down, have kids and a few years later Superman and a new generation of heroes pop up. This inspires the surviving JSA members to become active again and it also inspires their kids to become heroes as well.
    Eh, I prefer ditching the WWII origin entirely and having the JSA have their own earth instead of sharing one with the JLA where they were first but also sort of the lesser B team.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I do wonder who in the WB hierarchy has been protecting Miller. My guess is it’s Hamada since he’s the only one left from the AT&T era, and this may be what pushes Zaslav to kick both Hamada and Miller out.
    Lol why do u think anyone is protecting him? He’s not signed exclusively to wb or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    Lol why do u think anyone is protecting him? He’s not signed exclusively to wb or anything.
    Way back when Ezra was rumored to be kicking up a fuss about the Miller and Lord (the Spiderverse/Lego guys) writing a script that he didn’t like. Basically threatened to quit unless they got the boot. WB sided with Ezra and those two guys left which is how we got Andy on board. Given they dumped Cavill pretty quickly for causing issues, it’s weird that they’ve gone to such lengths to accommodate and protect Ezra, unless there’s some higher up who is protecting him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    None. They've all done WWII. And that's the thing: WWII was such an important conflict in human history that it'll always be pretty relevant. At least until we have another conflict on that scale occur, which will hopefully never happen.
    But WW2 was literally over 80 years ago, at some point the JSA has to stop clinging to it. X-Men will have that same problem with Magneto too
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Way back when Ezra was rumored to be kicking up a fuss about the Miller and Lord (the Spiderverse/Lego guys) writing a script that he didn’t like. Basically threatened to quit unless they got the boot. WB sided with Ezra and those two guys left which is how we got Andy on board. Given they dumped Cavill pretty quickly for causing issues, it’s weird that they’ve gone to such lengths to accommodate and protect Ezra, unless there’s some higher up who is protecting him.
    well at this point I don't think they're protecting him. They're just in a situation that they can't get out of. If they come out and condemn Ezra and say that he's been fired from the role, the movie will be even more DOA than it already is. So it seems like they're just keeping quiet and hoping things get better before the film's release. I'm sure he's still fired after all this, especially with the latest allegations. But they won't announce anything until after the film's release in the hopes that people still show up to theaters.

The only way he keeps the role and this turns out ok is if he seeks help and it becomes some feel good story about a celebrity hitting rock bottom, realizing they need help, and coming out of it a "better person".