Man at this rate the press tour for the Flash might end up being more entertaining than the movie itself.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    But WW2 was literally over 80 years ago, at some point the JSA has to stop clinging to it. X-Men will have that same problem with Magneto too
    We're talking about a medium and a genre where you have immortal gods from ancient Greece, Egypt, and Asgard running around. Dr. Strange was also supposedly born in the 1930s in 616-canon. Wolverine has been alive since the 1800s. We can just say that the metahuman abilities of the JSA have also granted them incredible longevity or that the government gave them a secret classified treatment that granted them an extra-long life.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    We're talking about a medium and a genre where you have immortal gods from ancient Greece, Egypt, and Asgard running around. Dr. Strange was also supposedly born in the 1930s in 616-canon. Wolverine has been alive since the 1800s. We can just say that the metahuman abilities of the JSA have also granted them incredible longevity or that the government gave them a secret classified treatment that granted them an extra-long life.
    How does that account for the ages of their spouses and kids? Turning them into these immortal beings outliving all their loved ones changes them more than just amending their history, like comics do for virtually every other character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    well at this point I don't think they're protecting him. They're just in a situation that they can't get out of. If they come out and condemn Ezra and say that he's been fired from the role, the movie will be even more DOA than it already is. So it seems like they're just keeping quiet and hoping things get better before the film's release. I'm sure he's still fired after all this, especially with the latest allegations. But they won't announce anything until after the film's release in the hopes that people still show up to theaters.

The only way he keeps the role and this turns out ok is if he seeks help and it becomes some feel good story about a celebrity hitting rock bottom, realizing they need help, and coming out of it a "better person".
    That's about right, I think. There's not much of anything WB can do right now but try to minimize the bad PR. I doubt Miller will be in the role after this, but there's not a lot they can do now.

It's a shame, too. The test screenings have been pretty positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    How does that account for the ages of their spouses and kids? Turning them into these immortal beings outliving all their loved ones changes them more than just amending their history, like comics do for virtually every other character.
    Exactly. Changing the characters to keep the WWII stuff means changing more than just explaining how they're not dead yet. And really, how important is WWII to the team in most of their modern stories? It's just background that's largely meaningless at this point isn't it? The important part is the old guard mingling with the new legacy aspect, and that doesn't require a specific date.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    So then how would you explain their spouses, offspring and legacies? Would Jen and Todd still be the daughter and son of Alan or would they be his great great grandchildren? 80+ years is a long time and I think it’s way easier to tie them to a fictional war then it would be to tie them to WW2…
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Like I said, you could say the same about Punisher and Iron Man with Vietnam or Reed Richards and Ben Grimm in WW2 and the Cold War.
    I think it's different because it's easier to adjust characters like the Punisher and Iron Man with the armed conflict of the century than it is for characters who are meant to be older and from a bygone era - hence WWII - unless you want the classic JSA to all be from the modern era.

And Reed and Ben's being in the service is only relevant in as far as their comic backstories and never factors into adaptions at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I prefer ditching the WWII origin entirely and having the JSA have their own earth instead of sharing one with the JLA where they were first but also sort of the lesser B team.
    Well, even if they had their own Earth I'd suspect we'd get a WWII-derived take on the JSA like in the animated movie.

I never get this idea that just because the JSA and JLA are on the same Earth means they're the lesser B team. Like, if they're going on their own adventures, doing their own things, and saving the day without the JLA, somehow they're the B-team? Like no other team matters but the JLA? It's thinking like that that's degraded the Titans so much.
    But WW2 was literally over 80 years ago, at some point the JSA has to stop clinging to it. X-Men will have that same problem with Magneto too
    I fee like we reflect enough on WWII for it to still be relevant enough, especially as a period of time that's often flashed back to (punching out Nazi's never goes out of style), but Magneto is another one where it would be difficult to adjust him without losing an important part of his backstory and the fact that he's a prominent Jewish character (especially considering Holocaust deniers).
    I'm not saying they need to be immortal (at least some of them) but there's probably ways of working around the spouses and kids.
    So then how would you explain their spouses, offspring and legacies? Would Jen and Todd still be the daughter and son of Alan or would they be his great great grandchildren? 80+ years is a long time and I think it’s way easier to tie them to a fictional war then it would be to tie them to WW2…
    Then it would still be WWII at the end of the day .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's different because it's easier to adjust characters like the Punisher and Iron Man with the armed conflict of the century than it is for characters who are meant to be older and from a bygone era - hence WWII - unless you want the classic JSA to all be from the modern era.

And Reed and Ben's being in the service is only relevant in as far as their comic backstories and never factors into adaptions at all.

Well, even if they had their own Earth I'd suspect we'd get a WWII-derived take on the JSA like in the animated movie.

I never get this idea that just because the JSA and JLA are on the same Earth means they're the lesser B team. Like, if they're going on their own adventures, doing their own things, and saving the day without the JLA, somehow they're the B-team? Like no other team matters but the JLA? It's thinking like that that's degraded the Titans so much.

I fee like we reflect enough on WWII for it to still be relevant enough, especially as a period of time that's often flashed back to (punching out Nazi's never goes out of style), but Magneto is another one where it would be difficult to adjust him without losing an important part of his backstory and the fact that he's a prominent Jewish character (especially considering Holocaust deniers).

I'm not saying they need to be immortal (at least some of them) but there's probably ways of working around the spouses and kids.

Then it would still be WWII at the end of the day .
    I don't think they need to be from the modern day, but from a bygone era (like Smallville) or a retro-styled Earth 2 (think Earth 2 on the Flash or Batman TAS). They should be older veteran heroes. The WW2 stuff just makes it all so convoluted now.

Reed and Ben's thing not being important in adaptations is my point. The JSA doesn't really use WW2 in some adaptations. The only real difference is that people are used to it being one way and are resistant to anything different.
    Last edited by Refrax5; 06-12-2022 at 08:59 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Why do characters from jsa have to be from bygone era when batman,superman and ww don't?

They get less importance..let me ask you,why make a fuss about justice league live action? Their last one wasn't very good.yet,they still try to force it to happen.why not make jsa instead?When they decided to make dc shared universe they went with jl.That itself shows you jsa is a b team for JL.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-13-2022 at 04:44 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

At this point, I would be pretty fine if they made it so that the JSA debuted 30 or so years ago to avert a WWIII orchestrated by Per Degaton from happening.
    That would make the JSA actually useful (as having them on WWII didn't make things any different from our own history), but would keep most of the same themes, including the fight against nazism and a less direct WWII connection.

That would be my solution for Earth Zero, because I do think the main Earth loses a lot by not having the JSA's history and connections.
    But they could keep the original WWII origin for Earth-2, coupled with the Trinity debuting in the 30s to make both Earths unique from each other (but this time actually publish Earth-2 stories, DC).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Way back when Ezra was rumored to be kicking up a fuss about the Miller and Lord (the Spiderverse/Lego guys) writing a script that he didn’t like. Basically threatened to quit unless they got the boot. WB sided with Ezra and those two guys left which is how we got Andy on board. Given they dumped Cavill pretty quickly for causing issues, it’s weird that they’ve gone to such lengths to accommodate and protect Ezra, unless there’s some higher up who is protecting him.
    Depending on who you believe they tried to get Cavill back and wanted him to play a Hulk/Nick Fury type role throughout the movies (which they now seem to be giving to Keaton instead), and he balked because he wanted more money and guarantee of a solo with creative control. I'm guessing the Miller stuff goes back to the same desire to not recast (which frankly is a bit insane to me) that's causing them to outright reboot Superman and this iteration of Batman out of the universe rather than just hiring new actors. For whatever reason, the regime clearly has it in their head that audiences won't accept new actors without some explicit delineation making it clear it's a new version of the character.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

The JSA being tied to WW2 must be near the very bottom of difficult continuity.

Here's a fix: after their dramatic disappearance in front of the HUAC committee ordering them to unmask, the JSA and their families retire and hide in another dimension created by any one of the mystical JSA members for decades. They only reemerge to handle a threat that can only be handled in secret and train the young heroes along the way.

Maybe, maybe not. I think dropping the war stuff and setting them and their world's history in a sort of perpetual "they debuted between 30 to 50 years ago" in a sliding timeline would work fine (for the old guard members).

And you can complain all you want, but it's not me who considers them the B team, it's DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    The JSA being tied to WW2 must be near the very bottom of difficult continuity.

Here's a fix: after their dramatic disappearance in front of the HUAC committee ordering them to unmask, the JSA and their families retire and hide in another dimension created by any one of the mystical JSA members for decades. They only reemerge to handle a threat that can only be handled in secret and train the young heroes along the way.
    Does the WWII stuff matter to the current team so much we need to keep coming up with "fixes" to keep it? The easiest fix would be to just drop it.

Extraordinary Member

WB Discussed Future of DC Films with head of Disney & Marvel Studios
    Last edited by mace11; 06-13-2022 at 10:53 AM.