Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Careful, that kind of talk gets you labeled a heretic around here.
    I already like Marvel more than DC as is, so let the truth be proclaimed.

Seriously, outside of the MCU, how many truly successful cinematic universes have been made? The Monster-verse, maybe? Star Trek and Star Wars were doing the cinematic universe thing long before cinematic universe were a thing (and have far richer lore, at that), but they were kinda invented from the ground up rather than welding different stuff together the way cinematic universes now do it.

I don't think the DCEU was destined to fail (of all the cinematic universes studios have tried to pull of, DC was one of the only logical ideas and something that actually deserved one), but it does seem the combo of their impatience to catch up to the MCU right away without actually putting in the work needed to make it happen and whatever happened with Zack Snyder and how they made him the captain of the series as a whole really hamstrung them going forward. It kinda seems like they don't know what they're doing now and the good stuff had been single creators with a vision for a smaller set of stories having the freedom to do their own thing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I already like Marvel more than DC as is, so let the truth be proclaimed.

Seriously, outside of the MCU, how many truly successful cinematic universes have been made? The Monster-verse, maybe? Star Trek and Star Wars were doing the cinematic universe thing long before cinematic universe were a thing (and have far richer lore, at that), but they were kinda invented from the ground up rather than welding different stuff together the way cinematic universes now do it.

I don't think the DCEU was destined to fail (of all the cinematic universes studios have tried to pull of, DC was one of the only logical ideas and something that actually deserved one), but it does seem the combo of their impatience to catch up to the MCU right away without actually putting in the work needed to make it happen and whatever happened with Zack Snyder and how they made him the captain of the series as a whole really hamstrung them going forward. It kinda seems like they don't know what they're doing now and the good stuff had been single creators with a vision for a smaller set of stories having the freedom to do their own thing.
    Preaching to the choir (and GvK killed the Monsterverse for me - I ain't watching anything spinning out of that **** story). I've definitely enjoyed the solo less connected stuff a lot more, so hoping that they kind of lean into that for a while. I enjoy the MCU, but the need to "keep up" or miss out is beginning to burn me out a little.

There's nothing wrong with chasing after the MCU money train, WB just either couldn't understand the simple concept of building your cinematic universe prior to doing the big team-ups or just didn't care. They wanted the big money and they wanted it now and ended up looking like the biggest fools in the industry. The real shame is that all they ended up doing is devalue and hurt entire character brands in the process. Brands that could easily make them the big money they wanted provided they adapted them properly. I wish Zaslav would have a better vision but with WB's track record regardless of their leadership, I'm just not sure at this point. They always seem to take the wrong lesson from both their success stories and failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't know what you like or not, but BOP and TSS both had positive critical reception even if the financial box office was iffy. That means that 4 out of 5 DCEU films post Snyder have been generally well liked if not exactly highly profitable. That's an improvement over the Snyder era where every film was highly divisive with bad critical reception even if they made more money.
    I'm not saying that the DCEU is in a great position or that they're cranking out great films, only that they are making better films according to most viewers versus the ones that they released earlier. Although your personal preference may differ.
    There's also the Joker. Hugely successful.
    The Batman did well.

(I'm actually one of the few who really liked WW84, but I know I'm in the minority.)

So? What's wrong with that? The Batman was awesome.

Again, most people have liked Aquaman, Shazam, BOP, TSS, Joker, The Batman...

Thought we were only discussing films, but if we're adding shows the Peacemaker, Doom Patrol, Stargirl, and Superman & Lois are all good.

As much as I would love that, that's not what DC wants. They want both solo films like The Batman and a shared universe. Hopefully they can pull both off.

Again I don't know what you like or want, but again outside of the Wonder Woman sequel the response to everything else has been generally positive. And again, I didn't say that they were making great movies, just better movies. You said that DC has only been getting worse with films, but most people didn't like the prior films.
    I am sorry to tell you that outside of hardcore comic fans, most people dont even know Birds of Prey was even made. You can say whatever you want about the film but it was not that good.

The Suicide Squad was very well done. That is because of the director and casting. If it was not for Gunn and the casting I can only imagine what that movie would have been like.

I only brought up Peacemaker because someone else did (I loved Peacemaker).

You can keep bringing up Aquaman and Shazam but they are not wayyyyyy up there on the best comic movies of all times list.

Yes The Batman was amazing and I wish DC would give us more of this. Just like Joker.

If DC wants a shared universe then this Flash movie better clean a good amount up. To this day I still believe The Man of Steel was awful. We cant even get a new Superman movie done right but they could do it in the late 1970's? Not in 2022? Come one....I mean seriously.

The only reason people are excited for the Flash is because of Keaton. The only reason people are excited for Batgirl is because of Keaton. They going to put Keaton in Blue Beetle as well because that is what is coming next.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Brave and the Bold gives them the perfect excuse to put Keaton in Blue Beetle since that tied Beetle and Batman together, so yeah I definitely think he’ll cameo there.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I mean, there have been several DC shared universes in animated form (and TV form) so the properties can make it work with the right execution.

WB just dropped the ball hard in a lot of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Sounds like they're going to have 2 Batmen (Batmans?) going forward as rumors suggested the Flash movie leaves it open for Batfleck to return in future films..
    I think they're leaving it open for Batfleck to return for something like Crisis on Infinite Earths, but Keaton and Pattinson will most likely be the two running Batmen going forward. I very much doubt Affleck's stance on the role has changed all that much.

Incredible Member

We live in a world where Disney is already planning a MCU spin-off based on Marvel Zombies of all things while WB still doesn't know how to make a normal Justice League franchise mainstream.
    Last edited by Zagre; 06-27-2022 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    If DC wants a shared universe then this Flash movie better clean a good amount up. To this day I still believe The Man of Steel was awful. We cant even get a new Superman movie done right but they could do it in the late 1970's? Not in 2022? Come one....I mean seriously..
    It's funny everyone loves the Christopher Reeves Superman, which was a terrible movie only good because of Him and his acting chops with his juxtaposition of Clark and Supes, along with Hackman made the movie. The script was atrocious and spinning the world backwards...
    Superman II was better except for the hokey, lost his powers part, and III and IV should not be spoken of EVER...

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post

The only reason people are excited for the Flash is because of Keaton. The only reason people are excited for Batgirl is because of Keaton. They going to put Keaton in Blue Beetle as well because that is what is coming next.
    Nope I am excited for Flash because I love the Flash character and want to see how WB tries to fix this mess. It's nice Keaton is in it but I don't really care. Batgirl? No interest and same with Beetle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    We live in a world where Disney is already planning a MCU spin-off based on Marvel Zombies of all things while WB still doesn't know how to make a normal Justice League franchise mainstream.
    I mean, Marvel is making shows and movies out of anything and everything now and I personally think the quality is really suffering, so that's not the best example.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I mean, Marvel is making shows and movies out of anything and everything now and I personally think the quality is really suffering, so that's not the best example.
    Yes but what I mean is that Marvel has been able to make these characters popular enough and build a brand robust enough they're comfortable doing more niche properties and wacky spin-offs (they gave Sam Raimi Multiverse of Madness, a cameo-fest Doctor Strange movie combined with a wacky Evil Dead homages, and it still made 900 million dollars), meanwhile WB still doesn't know how to get the JL, the more popular super-team of the two (though maybe not nowdays) and a premiere property with proven results on other mediums, off the ground.
    Last edited by Zagre; 06-27-2022 at 12:32 PM.

They kind of stumbled with Eternals for one reason or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They kind of stumbled with Eternals for one reason or another.
    Eternals are bargain basement New Gods though. I seriously don't think that movie would have existed if not for DC (temporarily) greenlighting a New Gods movie.

Zack Snyder’s Justice League will release on Digital on July 19.

So, less than a month after Toby Emmerich is out of WB, Zack Snyder's Justice League is allowed to go on digital after being blocked for the past 18 months. Hmm...
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison