Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Cavill is basically demanding control of the project after 3 films that are seen as modest hits (MoS) or outright disappointments (BvS, JL). He's refusing to budge and outright fucking with their plans because he wants to see the character portrayed (in his opinion) properly. It's nice to see he cares that much, but effectively it's held the character and IP hostage.
    What about Abrams' Superman project? Is that still in development.

Cavill is basically demanding control of the project after 3 films that are seen as modest hits (MoS) or outright disappointments (BvS, JL). As such, DC sees the brand as tarnished right now, which is further evidenced by their abandoning the Affleck Batman and recasting for the solo Batman movie, which is divorced entirely from the DCEU debacle. He's refusing to budge and outright fucking with their plans because he wants to see the character portrayed (in his opinion) properly. It's nice to see he cares that much, but effectively it's held the character and IP hostage.
    As far as we know nobody is stopping WB from picking another actor. So no, I don't see how he is holding anything hostage here.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    There are new people in charge, nothing is sure anymore about the projects that were in development earlier.

The Abrams' Superman project could be cancelled, retrofit in the DCEU, whatever... we have just to wait for an official update to know.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Talk on it, even across rumor mills, has gone silent which I don't take as great news. It may still be getting worked on, but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    As far as we know nobody is stopping WB from picking another actor. So no, I don't see how he is holding anything hostage here.
    All reports indicate they do still want Cavill, enough that they're not moving forward like they did with Batman, but his refusal to bend to any of their stipulations for advancing a project does effectively turn into Cavill holding the ball firmly. Essentially, they're trying to find a deal he's willing to sign and he's refusing them, so the buck basically stops at him. If we're talking about a solo movie, it's more a mutual issue since they won't accept his proposal, but he's also basically demanding control when his last involvements showed them meager returns. But WB wants Superman to be the connective tissue in their movies and he's seemingly holding that up, so in that respect he's absolutely holding the character hostage from cinematic audiences.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    If all they want is a guy to put on the suit, cameo in other peoples movies, and spout some vaguely uplifting lines they could’ve gotten Routh back by now for a fraction of what Cavill would cost. They’re just so dumb in how they’re going about this. If they’re really letting the Rock put a post credit scene in BA teasing a Adam/Superman fight, how exactly are they going to resolve that? Doing that forces them to keep negotiating with Cavill, who is not budging and will not budge for anything except his demands being met. Might as well just give in to Cavill now and save yourself the drama.

Oh well at least Superman fans have some animated stuff coming. Poor GL fans still have no news on the show or the movie. The GL Twitter account was hyping up a teddy bear in Shazam wearing a GL shirt!
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    The GL Twitter account was hyping up a teddy bear in Shazam wearing a GL shirt!
    Willpower Bear hates Mondays.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    After what the other company showed what they are doing for the next 3 years WB/DC is looking very rough right now. How after all these years do they not have anything planned?! Something!!!!! Anything!!!! Its beyond upsetting. Ok so now the Rock is going to be running DC?! I am serious. Shazam 2, ok. Aquaman 2, Wonder Woman 3 and others. No mention of them? No direction forward???? Ok I understand why the Flash is not being talked about. No Peacemaker series 2 talk? No mention of any other HBO Max series???!!!

This is pathetic. It is actually very sad. I love Batman but it seems that WB only cares about him.

I wish the Flash movie would just wipe out everything and start with a clean slate. Get a few people in there to clean up this mess. I want a damn Superman movie. I want to see a DCEU Batman film with his entire family and cast. Give us a true Green Lantern movie. So many characters with so much potential for great film success.

No though we will keep getting the same old same old.
    I don't understand all this wailing and gnashing of teeth and pearl clutching going on right now.
    Yes, Marvel brought shock and awe to SDCC this year, but when haven't they?
    They did the same thing at SDCC 2019 and yet I can't think of any product they produced that was better than what DC had. The Suicide Squad and The Batman were better than every MCU film to date since then. I'll give props to Shang Chi, even though it's third act devolved into circus-level silliness.
    Despite the glut of white noise dumped on D+, Peacemaker still outshone all of it.
    So, everybody take a breath. What you saw from Marvel this weekend was a distraction from how bad to mediocre Phase 4 has been.
    Y'all are crying about no Batman or Superman when you should be celebrating the attention the Shazam corner of DC is getting!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If all they want is a guy to put on the suit, cameo in other peoples movies, and spout some vaguely uplifting lines they could’ve gotten Routh back by now for a fraction of what Cavill would cost. They’re just so dumb in how they’re going about this. If they’re really letting the Rock put a post credit scene in BA teasing a Adam/Superman fight, how exactly are they going to resolve that? Doing that forces them to keep negotiating with Cavill, who is not budging and will not budge for anything except his demands being met. Might as well just give in to Cavill now and save yourself the drama.

Oh well at least Superman fans have some animated stuff coming. Poor GL fans still have no news on the show or the movie. The GL Twitter account was hyping up a teddy bear in Shazam wearing a GL shirt!
    They should just make Tyler Hoechlin the DCEU Superman. He's done the heavy lifting of repairing Superman's image with audiences, has about the same level of acting talent as Cavill, and is already being paid by WB. Just move the show and cast to the DCEU, no setup, no origin, no redos required.

At this point, complaining Marvel outshone DC at a convention or event is redundant because that’s literally been the case from the inception of the DCEU.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

He has to be the biggest waste of $250mill the studio has invested in. He hasnt produced 1 single project that has made it to air/streaming/theaters for WB has he?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    He has to be the biggest waste of $250mill the studio has invested in. He hasnt produced 1 single project that has made it to air/streaming/theaters for WB has he?
    Zaslav agrees with you lol, an article (from Variety I think) came out that said Zaslav is not happy about the return on the deal with Abrams. AT&T was just throwing money around trying to attract talent, that’s definitely coming to an end. His deal ends next year and I think the only thing that’s even close to being ready to shoot is Constantine. I don’t think Abrams is getting a new deal.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    At this point, complaining Marvel outshone DC at a convention or event is redundant because that’s literally been the case from the inception of the DCEU.
    MCU: Krusty Krab
    DCEU : Chum Bucket
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Cavill is basically demanding control of the project after 3 films that are seen as modest hits (MoS) or outright disappointments (BvS, JL). As such, DC sees the brand as tarnished right now, which is further evidenced by their abandoning the Affleck Batman and recasting for the solo Batman movie, which is divorced entirely from the DCEU debacle. He's refusing to budge and outright fucking with their plans because he wants to see the character portrayed (in his opinion) properly. It's nice to see he cares that much, but effectively it's held the character and IP hostage.
    I am with him..Studio should have stepped aside as they haven't produced one single hit for mass audiences with superman ip..Without a passionate guy or team getting creative control..Have another superman wouldn't produce results.

Wb's best is superman the movie which was licenced out.it would be similar with cavil..He even brought in a director..But these guy didn't give a chance.Cavil's superman had barely anything in bvs which tanked the entire direction.It was the studio that wanted to shove in batman, ofcourse snyder went along with it.Any batman will be a downer character..It just so happens this time it tanked superman..A character that's upbeat.

Besides,Nothing is stopping wb from going for another person for doing Cameo's.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-24-2022 at 07:18 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    I don't understand all this wailing and gnashing of teeth and pearl clutching going on right now.
    Yes, Marvel brought shock and awe to SDCC this year, but when haven't they?
    They did the same thing at SDCC 2019 and yet I can't think of any product they produced that was better than what DC had. The Suicide Squad and The Batman were better than every MCU film to date since then. I'll give props to Shang Chi, even though it's third act devolved into circus-level silliness.
    Despite the glut of white noise dumped on D+, Peacemaker still outshone all of it.
    So, everybody take a breath. What you saw from Marvel this weekend was a distraction from how bad to mediocre Phase 4 has been.
    Y'all are crying about no Batman or Superman when you should be celebrating the attention the Shazam corner of DC is getting!
    Marvel comics has almost always been more popular than DC, I don't understand the compulsion among DC fans that believe the company has to be #1 and if it isn't its because the company is being weighed down by 'incompetents' and you are then justified in lashing out at creators. Doctor Strange 2 has made more money than The Batman, that doesn't mean The Batman lost and is a flop, but when you do this horse race stuff, where there can only be one winner, you get to this thinking where you actually, legit, do think The Batman flopped.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Marvel comics has almost always been more popular than DC, I don't understand the compulsion among DC fans that believe the company has to be #1 and if it isn't its because the company is being weighed down by 'incompetents' and you are then justified in lashing out at creators. Doctor Strange 2 has made more money than The Batman, that doesn't mean The Batman lost and is a flop, but when you do this horse race stuff, where there can only be one winner, you get to this thinking where you actually, legit, do think The Batman flopped.
    True. But it does show that WB needs to rethink things. When your #1 is getting beat by a character that was c-d list not that long ago....you as a studio have failed. Yes they slowly have been bringing out other characters but they still put to much on Batman