Batgirl getting cancelled like this means everything that was spinning out of it like Black Canary and Zatanna are likely canned as well
    Going forward its gonna be hard to see any director trusting the studio not to try and save money like this in the future and shelve their movie

Christina Hodson's next dc project got canned? With Michael Keaton as main bats? That's not exactly bad news for me

Damn I did not see that coming!!! Please do not touch Blue Beetle!! I need Jaime on the big screen
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

C'mon Zaslav. Use your powers for good and start canning some Harley projects.

Besides the bad test screenings and “irredeemable” cut of the film, I wonder if Keaton’s involvement was what actually helped kill the Batgirl movie. They just brought Batfleck back for Aquaman 2 and there’s talk that there are more Bat projects for him down the line. Zaslav may be dumping all of Hamada’s plans for the post-Flashpoint DCEU, which included having an old Bruce Wayne act as a mentor and not actually get physically involved. Zaslav may have been thinking “why the hell are we intentionally sidelining our most popular IP?!?” All of screwed up timeline stuff at the end of The Flash may be done away with in favor of more consistent “easy money” franchises.

WB is such an embarrassment.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Besides the bad test screenings and “irredeemable” cut of the film, I wonder if Keaton’s involvement was what actually helped kill the Batgirl movie. They just brought Batfleck back for Aquaman 2 and there’s talk that there are more Bat projects for him down the line. Zaslav may be dumping all of Hamada’s plans for the post-Flashpoint DCEU, which included having an old Bruce Wayne act as a mentor and not actually get physically involved. Zaslav may have been thinking “why the hell are we intentionally sidelining our most popular IP?!?” All of screwed up timeline stuff at the end of The Flash may be done away with in favor of more consistent “easy money” franchises.
    It's sounding more like they knew it wasn't good enough to bring in any new HBOMax subscribers (not that it seems they care about that) and not good enough to invest more money trying to release it to theater, so they're going to get a tax break. I don't think Keaton or Affleck really matter to that.

Yeah, I don't think it had anything to do with Keaton or Affleck. Zaslav has to make cuts and I read a source that said he wants to focus on theatrical releases as opposed to streaming. Still, I've never seen a studio just eat $90 million like this. This was made by the same guys who did Ms Marvel, there is no way it wasn't at least descent. It would have made at least something.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    C'mon Zaslav. Use your powers for good and start canning some Harley projects.
    I think that requires holy water and a priest. Maybe silver bullets and a stake, too.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I think that requires holy water and a priest. Maybe silver bullets and a stake, too.
    No, the world has to be destroyed and reborn. That's the only way.

The one DCEU movie I was looking forward to besides Blue Beetle and they go ahead and cancel it. Blah.

I was actually hoping DC would make smaller films and direct-to-streaming to build up steam but I guess that's not happening. They have to make cuts while at the same time they want Marvel money and they want it NOW. Even though Marvel itself wasn't making Marvel money until several films later.

As much as I enjoy Marvel Studios, I really hate the possibility of Disney becoming an entertainment monopoly. WB/DC is the only one with the characters and franchises that could outdo Marvel/Disney and yet they've spent the last two decades shooting their foot off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Does Bosslogic actually know anything?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Yeah, I don't think it had anything to do with Keaton or Affleck. Zaslav has to make cuts and I read a source that said he wants to focus on theatrical releases as opposed to streaming. Still, I've never seen a studio just eat $90 million like this. This was made by the same guys who did Ms Marvel, there is no way it wasn't at least descent. It would have made at least something.
    That's why this is an unprecedented 100m dollar production cancellation
    If that's the floor or ceiling it means everything is not guaranteed
    You had a basically finished production
    The main actress was active on social media promoting the movie and role
    This would be a negative news story no matter how they released it. It also broke from the NY post which is a conservative non hollywood tabloid which tells you that the main people in the know of Hollywood were more or less blindsided by this news. So the goings on at the company at present are more or less unknown by a lot of people
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 08-02-2022 at 09:23 PM.