I am not sure how to even feel about Joker 2.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

I wonder how many movies and musicals will be plagiarized for Joker 2.

Could still be fun, "musical" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    He's the CEO WB/Discovery for God's sake. Is he supposed to release movies he doesn't have faith in out of loyalty to Batgirl fans? People have quite bizarre ideas about how the entertainment industry works.
    The premise of these arguments is not that he should "release movies he doesn't have faith in out of loyalty," but rather that his lack of faith in them is likely influenced by his inability to relate to BIPOC. Whether you agree with it or not is another thing, but that's the premise

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    I wonder how many movies and musicals will be plagiarized for Joker 2.
    New York, New York by Martin Scorsese?

He's the CEO WB/Discovery for God's sake. Is he supposed to release movies he doesn't have faith in out of loyalty to Batgirl fans? People have quite bizarre ideas about how the entertainment industry works.
    Not releasing a finished movie and writing it off to save 15 million in tax write offs is extremely rare. Why are you acting like this is usual Hollywood ruthlessness instead of something very bizarre that rarely ever happens in Hollywood. Especially when you consider the movie industry is built on good relationships

His goal - as well as any other CEO in the field, by the way - is not to promote a political agenda, but to make money. If the CEOs saw an opportunity to make money thanks to a minority character, they would invest a lot of millions in it. Disney didn't make the Black Panther movie to fight racism, but because it was an opportunity to make a lot of money by exploring a relatively rare type of narrative and style. The fact that the movie made them look good and tolerant was a plus, of course. Yes, Disney also made Ms Marvel and Moon Knight. But those series were made after a LOT of other movies about their A-list characters, almost none of whom belonged to a minority.

Obviously a lot of recent characters will disappear - at least in the movies, but why should it be a surprise to anyone? I mean, are characters like Yara Flor really comparable to characters like Wonder Woman in terms of popularity and marketability? Of course, maybe - MAYBE - DC will pay the price for being an 80+ year old company created in a different time, but how could it be any different? I mean, this could be a good reason to finally create a new, non-superheroes-based cinematic mythology. But a live-action movie about Superman will always revolve around Clark Kent, not Jon Kent.
    1. We have, in fact, seen plenty of examples of CEOs prioritizing racism over profits.

2. Even without that, prejudice is by its very nature something that impacts your judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    1. We have, in fact, seen plenty of examples of CEOs prioritizing racism over profits.

2. Even without that, prejudice is by its very nature something that impacts your judgment.
    What about all the other movies that were shelved and didn't have a POC lead? It's not like the company only selected movies lead by a POC actor or director. I am pretty liberal myself and will gladly call out someone when it's warranted, but not everything is race related and by making it that way it does a disservice to it overall.

They removed 7 other movies from MAX, Moonshot, Superintelligence, The Witches, An American Pickle, Locked Down, Charm City Kings and House Party beside Scoob and Batgirl.
    ALL as a money saving tax write-off. It's not a race thing, it's a money thing.

I guess Zaslav also hates dogs because why else you'd cancel Scoob?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Not releasing a finished movie and writing it off to save 15 million in tax write offs is extremely rare. Why are you acting like this is usual Hollywood ruthlessness instead of something very bizarre that rarely ever happens in Hollywood.
    I am not debating how rare this specific event is, but that some people are expecting the movie to be released for, I don't know, loyalty to the fans? Loyalty to people who really wanted to see Keaton as Batman again? There are fans who are acting as if they knew all the financial pros and cons of releasing the movie or not, but instead no one knows anything except for a couple of rumors. But yes, racism. Ok.
    It's not that I don't care about WB's relationships with creators - even if I find Zaslav's reaction to Eastwood's Cry Macho way, way more troubling than stopping a Batgirl B-movie with more or less unknown people at helm - but pretending that Zaslav isn't in his full right to stop a movie when it is literally his job to take this type of decisions is quite naive IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I guess Zaslav also hates dogs because why else you'd cancel Scoob?
    Exactly.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

There have been reports that his big time leadership team lacks women or people of color.

All the people he hires at least:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...over-diversity
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 08-04-2022 at 11:27 AM.

Now I honestly just want to see the movie to spite the haters and see if the rumors about the test screening quality were accurate.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now I honestly just want to see the movie to spite the haters and see if the rumors about the test screening quality were accurate.
    Just wait a couple of months and it will leak.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Just wait a couple of months and it will leak.
    Of course it will suck then, probably low quality and no reshoots or CGI added in. It will be a jumbled mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    The only good thing about this is that it’ll pretty much end the career of hack producer JJ Abrams.
    Nah. If they buy him out of his contract (I'm not even sure Zaslav would pony up the amount for that) or let it lapse, he'll just move onto the next studio. Getting him to WB in the first place only came after a fierce bidding war.
    Last edited by Holt; 08-04-2022 at 12:02 PM.