Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    they can literally release a major movie every two months if they wanna catch up so badly to Marvel.

Jan-Feb: Batman (Street Level)

Mar-Apr: Superman (World Level Threat)

May-Jun: Wonder Woman (Ancient Worlds/Godly Realms)

Jul-Aug: Green Lantern (Cosmic/Alien Species)

Sept-Oct: Aquaman (Hidden Worlds)

Nov-Dec: Flash (Universal Forces)

Jan-Feb: Martian Manthunter (Extinct Worlds)

*BREAK*

July 4th: Justice League

And then after 2nd year go wild because everything was already introduced.

I mean WTF is WB/Discovery doing?

But this requires trust and WB never had trust in their filmmakers from the very beginning.
    We don't need them to catch up with Marvel, we need them to make descent movies that best represents their characters, shared universe or not.

DC also needs to figure out their voice and what their strengths are as opposed to Marvel's. The Boys success hinges on them going places Marvel wouldn't while at the same time parodying Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    WBD being $53 billion dollars in debt because of AT&T offloading all their debt on WBD feels like an anchor around WBD’s neck. How on Earth can they feasibly pay all that off? Definitely think it means they’re sticking with safe choices for projects going forward, they need that Marvel money. But I’ll be honest I suspect this may end with WBD getting broken up and sold off piecemeal again.
    Even if they were making Marvel money, $53 billion would still be a crazy amount. For perspective Marvel had $20 billion in box office after Endgame.

Totally, but it seems to be working for Marvel they release something almost at this pace now and no one seems to be burnt out on it so far.
    Actually, a lot of VFX artists have started speaking out about Marvel and their tight deadlines, going for the lowest bidder and changing their minds at the last minute. Phase 4 has had a lot of complaints about bad VFX and people have talked about not knowing where it's all headed. Top Gun 2 is breaking domestic box records whilst Dr Strange 2 and Thor 4 didn't perform as well as most people were hoping they would. It honestly makes me nervous about KD and SW. Too many people are acting like it's a forgone conclusion that Marvel will nail it like they did the Infinity Saga, that's a recipe for failure. I hope they do nail it but I'm not expecting any of these movies to land on the date they've announced without experiencing any delays.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Johns' work was also the basis for the Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern. I'm just saying...
    In alll fairness that movie didn't turn out the way it did because of the source material, but rather because there were too many cooks in the kitchen and its troubled production history speaks for itself. Whatever Zaslav and his lackeys may or may not decide to do with Green Lantern going forward, hope they make sure the script is at least ready when they start shooting this time. If nothing else I guess they'd at least make sure the budget is kept in check now.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-05-2022 at 05:48 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Due to all the talk of protecting the brand, and a 10 year plan, I’m almost certain that the big name characters/actors (the whole justice league) are getting recast with a new universe following the Flash movie.

I don’t think Zaslav is looking at the last 9 years of a messy, inconsistent, controversy ridden cinematic universe as a good point to carry on from. Especially if he’s looking at DC as a brand for the next decade
    Dude. Zaslav literally just specifically mentioned Black Adam, Shazam 2, and Aquaman 2 as "great movies" that they're excited to have coming out. How does that at all point to them recasting and restarting those franchises?? Answer: it doesn't.

Like, the moves that have been made so far actual signal that they may not be so keen to reboot anything anymore: Affleck coming back as Batman for Aquaman 2 reshoots; them shelving the first entry into the DCEU that would have heavily featured Keaton as Bruce Wayne. I know some of you guys are so hell-bent on seeing this cinematic universe burned to the ground, but from a business perspective, it would be a beyond idiotic move.

No to mention that, in the public's mind, Momoa and Gadot are essentially definitively Aquaman and Wonder Woman at this point. If you're a big Hollywood studio, you don't waste that level of star power.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-05-2022 at 06:06 AM.

Incredible Member

Frankly, I think this is just disaster. It's staggering the level of incompetence in that presentation. And by the way, you can't pretend to make 1 billion dollar movies without making 300 million movies first.

Given how deep in debt they are, the only thing I expect will happen is that this will collapse and the different properties will be sold to different places.

True, at this point this company simply isn't worth the benefit of the doubt no matter the leadership. Zaslav is just another reactionary suit.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-05-2022 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    Dude. Zaslav literally just specifically mentioned Black Adam, Shazam 2, and Aquaman 2 as "great movies" that they're excited to have coming out. How does that at all point to them recasting and restarting those franchises?? Answer: it doesn't.

Like, the moves that have been made so far actual signal that they may not be so keen to reboot anything anymore: Affleck coming back as Batman for Aquaman 2 reshoots; them shelving the first entry into the DCEU that would have heavily featured Keaton as Bruce Wayne. I know some of you guys are so hell-bent on seeing this cinematic universe burned to the ground, but from a business perspective, it would be a beyond idiotic move.

No to mention that, in the public's mind, Momoa and Gadot are essentially definitively Aquaman and Wonder Woman at this point. If you're a big Hollywood studio, you don't waste that level of star power.
    I don’t know man, a severely depleted SDCC presentation, no big updates on WW3, axing projects to save face for a brand, a 10 year plan to fix a universe that has been in place for 10 years already, searching for someone to be like Feige. It doesn’t seem like it’s entirely positive going forward. Praising the films they have coming out doesn’t mean they’re looking to continue them. It’s an earnings call for investors, they need to at least try and talk up their big blockbuster film releases, as they do not want to make a loss on them. It’s also insane that we don’t have anything announced PAST the Flash. That to me is a massive red flag about this universe. It may all depend on how the rest of the films on the schedule perform

For the record, I’m not anti this universe, there are highs and lows (same for Marvel) and it could be fixed. But honestly I think there’s more chance for the BRAND to be more successful with a full reboot.

Hollywood constantly mismanages star power. And Warner Brothers hasn’t really made the most sound decisions over the last 10 years, leading to a tainted, inconsistent brand. Reboot it and direct it at a different audience it can be huge (Spider-Man homecoming vs Amazing spider-man as an example)

We won’t know for a while any way.
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 08-05-2022 at 06:22 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    We don't need them to catch up with Marvel, we need them to make descent movies that best represents their characters, shared universe or not.

DC also needs to figure out their voice and what their strengths are as opposed to Marvel's. The Boys success hinges on them going places Marvel wouldn't while at the same time parodying Marvel.

Even if they were making Marvel money, $53 billion would still be a crazy amount. For perspective Marvel had $20 billion in box office after Endgame.

Actually, a lot of VFX artists have started speaking out about Marvel and their tight deadlines, going for the lowest bidder and changing their minds at the last minute. Phase 4 has had a lot of complaints about bad VFX and people have talked about not knowing where it's all headed. Top Gun 2 is breaking domestic box records whilst Dr Strange 2 and Thor 4 didn't perform as well as most people were hoping they would. It honestly makes me nervous about KD and SW. Too many people are acting like it's a forgone conclusion that Marvel will nail it like they did the Infinity Saga, that's a recipe for failure. I hope they do nail it but I'm not expecting any of these movies to land on the date they've announced without experiencing any delays.
    I hear ya, but I didn't mean we as in the fans, but WB who does not have the patience to slowly build out their universe.

As for the vfx companies, does the general public even care as long as they get their tights and fights and do the companies really care as long as they are raking in the cash?

I hear ya, but I didn't mean we as in the fans, but WB who does not have the patience to slowly build out their universe.

As for the vfx companies, does the general public even care as long as they get their tights and fights and do the companies really care as long as they are raking in the cash?
    They would if the VFX is terrible and companies would once it starts affecting their bottom line.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Spectacular Member

Walter Hamada Was on the Brink of Exit After ‘Batgirl’ Cancellation

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...rl-1235193439/

Quote From the Article

Hamada has now agreed to remain in his post at least until the Oct. 21 release of the Dwayne Johnson film Black Adam
    Last edited by JimmySpectre; 08-05-2022 at 06:37 AM.

The funny thing is the cult will celebrate this like no tomorrow under the belief that whoever Zaslav brings in after Hamada would want to restore the Snyderverse, when that individual would just end up being the next schmuck they will inevitably go after.
    Last edited by Johnny; 08-05-2022 at 07:52 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I don’t know man, a severely depleted SDCC presentation, no big updates on WW3, axing projects to save face for a brand, a 10 year plan to fix a universe that has been in place for 10 years already, searching for someone to be like Feige. It doesn’t seem like it’s entirely positive going forward. Praising the films they have coming out doesn’t mean they’re looking to continue them. It’s an earnings call for investors, they need to at least try and talk up their big blockbuster film releases, as they do not want to make a loss on them. It’s also insane that we don’t have anything announced PAST the Flash. That to me is a massive red flag about this universe. It may all depend on how the rest of the films on the schedule perform
    Again, a lot of this is wild speculation on your part and none of what you said actually supports the theory of a hard reboot. If Zaslav was intent on restarting everything from scratch, he would have already axed the entire rest of the slate. Not just Batgirl. Yet, he actually hasn’t and instead insisted that those films are being released. So, how would them turning around and throwing away those franchises look to investors? Not good.

Also, did you forget the fact that Aquaman 2 was originally supposed to come out after Flash and that we actually still have Blue Beetle filming and that that will come out after Flash? And also, Gal Gadot basically said like 2 weeks ago that they anticipate starting production on WW3 next year. And also also, Peacemaker season 2 was literally just announced at Comic Con.

For the record, I’m not anti this universe, there are highs and lows (same for Marvel) and it could be fixed. But honestly I think there’s more chance for the BRAND to be more successful with a full reboot.
    Not really. In fact, it almost certainly wouldn’t. If anything, a hard reboot would severely damage the DC brand even further. DC would be looked at for a long time as that studio that had a FAILED cinematic universe and any subsequent universe would be tainted by that fact in peoples’ eyes.

Hollywood constantly mismanages star power. And Warner Brothers hasn’t really made the most sound decisions over the last 10 years, leading to a tainted, inconsistent brand. Reboot it and direct it at a different audience it can be huge (Spider-Man homecoming vs Amazing spider-man as an example)

We won’t know for a while any way.
    Except Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man: Homecoming were essentially produced by two entirely different studios. One was a Sony film. The other was produced by Marvel/Disney for the most part. And it was also the way they got Spider-Man into the ongoing MCU (which many ppl view as definitive takes on the Marvel characters). Here, we’re talking about ONE studio and characters that are already part of a cinematic universe that are to a lot of people the definitive versions of these characters.

Gal Gadot is essentially synonymous with Wonder Woman at this point. Same with Momoa for Aquaman. Not to mention that Momoa’s first outing as Aquaman is the most successful DC film ever. Zaslav likely knows that they can’t throw that away.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-05-2022 at 07:13 AM.

So from what I am seeing and hearing they have this 10 year plan. Ok. It seems they may keep some of the current characters and actors around. Cavill is a big "maybe" and who knows what is going to happen to Ezra and The Flash. Sounds like the Flash is still a go. So we are expecting a reboot (kind of). Looks as if they are putting Superman and a movie as top priority which in my opinion is a good thing. The Snyderverse is over (thank God) so sorry to anyone holding on to hope. Batgirl gets axed, Supergirl is next (maybe) and a few others are going into limbo which is sad.

I am not sure what to think about all of this. A 10 year plan sounds nice and all but they had a plan back in 2014 and it failed miserably. I am a big Cavill fan and would love to see him back but that is probably not going to happen. New leadership and a new goal is nice and all but how many times are they going to do this and expect the fans to keep going to theaters and more?!
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

It is not clear to me how you even reboot at the moment. For example, I didn't like Shazam movie, but from what I have seen majority of those who saw it were ok with the direction and cast, so what do you reboot there exactly? You do the first movie again with the same cast? Do a half-assed reboot where some movies are still in continuity and some are removed from it? I doubt that mainstream audience will want to deal with that.

Edit: Suppose Black Adam is actually a hit and brings a billion, what do you do? You reboot and do another Black Adam origin movie again?

Astonishing Member

Maybe, The Flash ending will be some sort of reboot, as was previously planned, but instead of Keaton, they're making Pattinson as the main Batman in shared universe, they're recasting Barry, and also Superman, if Cavill isn't going to come back, the rest of actors are staying.

Glad they’ve gotten support.