Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Chris did around 8-9 MCU films between solos, teams, cameos between 2011-2019. 8 years. This was his biggest break as an actor. He left.

RDJ did 10 MCU films between 2008-2019. 11 years. This was his big comeback as an actor. He left.

Gal has been WW since 2016. We're practically 3.5 years away from the big 10 year mark. She's done 4 films, has 3 more appearances for a total of 7 guaranteed.

As she's said

Even the Supernatural brothers left Supernatural.

We are not in an age where a lot of actors stay in the roles they get that long unless they are singed on for a lot of films and Marvel signed most of their talent for 7 films or more.

Mark Ruffalo, Elizabeth Olsen have spent majority of their time as part of an ensemble. Benedict is on his 2nd solo and 3 ensemble appearances. Dude hasnt been around that long.
    Benedict has been Dr. Strange as long as Gal has been Wonder Woman. They both debuted in 2016 or did you forget that? They've both only had two solo films and a smattering of guest appearances. In fact, Cumberbatch has been in more MCU films than Gal has been in DCEU films. So, if you're saying that Benedict should stay cuz he "hasn't been around that long" but are telling Gal she better hurry up and move on, that doesn't seem logically consistent.

Plus, look at Hemsworth. Dude has been Thor for 11 years and seems to want to keep it that way for another 6 at least.

Also, you really seem to be cherrypicking from that quote from an article that came out in 2017. Even in the part you cite, she says "as long as the story is good" she's game. Plus, nobody is expecting her to be Wonder Woman when she's like 60. Of course it's not gonna be the only role she plays her whole career and she will eventually move on to other projects. However, for a good while, she seems geared to be Wonder Woman. And she still gets to do other projects while she's playing Wonder Woman.

I mean, Hemsworth got 4 Thor films. Let Gadot get her 4 Wonder Woman films. She obviously loves playing the character.

And if the end goal for you is "hurry up and finish so we can restart the DCEU," well again, that's likely not gonna happen. They've seemingly signaled that they want to continue with this same continuity and rumors are that they are actively seeking to bring Cavill back to be Superman. And sorry, but Reeves's The Batman is also not gonna be a starting point for a new DC film universe. Reeves himself only signed on because he didn't want his Batman being in a shared universe. So, it looks like Gadot is set to be Wonder Woman for at least several more years.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-01-2022 at 08:31 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    MoS was nearly a decade ago and people think Cavill returning is feasible.

And, really why I support a hard reset, a decade of a flimsy foundation is gonna continue to crumble.
    I mean, you are acting as if MoS was Cavill's last appearance as Superman. It wasn't. That was technically 2017's Justice League, which was only 5 years ago, not 10. But then on top of that, people got another taste of him as Superman just last year when they released Zack Snyder's version. And again, I'm not saying they should bring Zack Snyder back to direct anything more. It looks like that's definitely not happening.

But, after that dropped, people pointed out how much they liked Henry as Superman. And now, it's been really HEAVILY hinted that Cavill is actually back as Superman in Black Adam (who knows if that's true, but sources have seemingly reported that). So, it does not seem all that farfetched.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    I mean, you are acting as if MoS was Cavill's last appearance as Superman. It wasn't. That was technically 2017's Justice League, which was only 5 years ago, not 10. But then on top of that, people got another taste of him as Superman just last year when they released Zack Snyder's version. And again, I'm not saying they should bring Zack Snyder back to direct anything more. It looks like that's definitely not happening.

But, after that dropped, people pointed out how much they liked Henry as Superman. And now, it's been really HEAVILY hinted that Cavill is actually back as Superman in Black Adam (who knows if that's true, but sources have seemingly reported that). So, it does not seem all that farfetched.
    I didn't say it was his last appearance, I'm saying he debuted 10 years ago with no direct sequel and two follow-up films that were critically panned. 2017's JL was five years ago, nearly six, that's still a big gap especially if we're looking at these characters through the MCU model. None of the important characters had gaps like that.

Now that I think about it his casting as Superman was announced much earlier in 2011, that's 11 years with three appearances.

And, I'm not counting the Snyder Cut because that wasn't even supposed to be a thing.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    EXPECTATIONS.

If you are doing Batman or Superman-if it makes BELOW 700 million with bad reviews. FAILURE. BELOW 700 million and good reviews. DISAPPOINTMENT.

Now I say this BEFORE what Marvel Films did.

In a world where Black Panther, Carol Danvers. Dr Strange (second one only) & Iron Man made a combine $4,685,376,452.
    2 GOTG made $1,637,106,198
    2 Antman movies made $1,141,986,104
    4 Thor movies made $2,694,757,042
    10 DC movies in that same time frame- $5,827,502,167. Highest grossing one starred a BAYWATCH lead and a character everyone called a JOKE.
    Black Panther Wakanda Forever only has to make 184,284,355 to make more than the two Batman vs Superman and Justice League.

You can start with Batman or Superman but expectations are ultra HIGH.

It's just not about the heavy hitters-it's what else do you have?

For those who won't bother with Batman or Superman movies.

It's about what Shazam, Suicide Squad and others can bring to the table while you work on Batman and Superman.

A Cyborg movie should NOT be expected to bring a billion. It should break even at least and keep the DC Universe on folks minds.

Marvel threw their trash out because they had no choice. They got all the folks that have no issue with variety. Unlike the comic book side that acts like Batman only matters.
    Yeah, but you've Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern, etc.

Assuming you get Batman and Superman right, which conceivably you could, why avoid using the other bigger names?

Extraordinary Member

I didn't say it was his last appearance, I'm saying he debuted 10 years ago with no direct sequel and two follow-up films that were critically panned. 2017's JL was five years ago, nearly six, that's still a big gap especially if we're looking at these characters through the MCU model. None of the important characters had gaps like that.
    Are we talking gaps between films cuz...Dr. Strange literally had 6 years between his first movie and his second.

Again, if this were like two years ago, I'd agree. But, now we're getting headlines like this:

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/en...coming-dc.html

Obviously, things have changed and the new regime at WBD wants to do more with Superman. So, a return of Cavill as the character is really not that outlandish.

And, I'm not counting the Snyder Cut because that wasn't even supposed to be a thing.
    Whether it was supposed to be a thing or not, it was still a thing that got a lot of people buzzing about Cavill's Superman.

Are we talking gaps between films cuz...Dr. Strange literally had 6 years between his first movie and his second.

Again, if this were like two years ago, I'd agree. But, now we're getting headlines like this:

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/en...coming-dc.html

Obviously, things have changed and the new regime at WBD wants to do more with Superman. So, a return of Cavill as the character is really not that outlandish.
    Doctor Strange was in four movies in that gap, three in the three following years after. They were consistent with Cavill until JL, it's been five years. And, after years of that back and forth, "Cavill is coming back", it gets tiring. In part, because there haven't been really any movies released, but that's a part of the issue.

Whether it was supposed to be a thing or not, it was still a thing that got a lot of people buzzing about Cavill's Superman.
    Yet, none of the actual movies WB wanted to release.

If he comes back I could care less, I just don't think it's smart to try and build a ten-year-plan with an actor who was hired 11 years ago and debuted on-screen nine years ago.

That's a lot of time lost. Cavill being 39 doesn't mean he can't do it, but you have to consider the delay in all of this and if that's just a long-term smart idea.

Also, I just never saw his performance as something we need particularly need to hold onto. And, there's nothing spectacular about the three films he's been in either. There's no solid track record when it comes to him, not necessarily his fault but that is the reality of it.
    Last edited by thefinalguy; 09-01-2022 at 09:45 PM.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

In regards to re-casting/keeping the same cast members, I’m most interested in Affleck. Not because I thought he was great or anything, I just want to see how they’ll manage two franchises featuring Bruce Wayne’s Batman. To my knowledge it would be the first time it’s happened with any big, non publicly owned character?

Like it would have felt really weird to have Spider-Man in Avengers movies, but also have Garfield’s Spider-Man continuing? It will be interesting to see how audiences react.

Regarding the rest of the JL cast, I have no feelings either way. Not any of their faults, but their movies haven’t made me warm to them at all. But I don’t mind them staying on if they can crack out some good movies with them. Miller has to go though

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    In regards to re-casting/keeping the same cast members, I’m most interested in Affleck. Not because I thought he was great or anything, I just want to see how they’ll manage two franchises featuring Bruce Wayne’s Batman. To my knowledge it would be the first time it’s happened with any big, non publicly owned character?

Like it would have felt really weird to have Spider-Man in Avengers movies, but also have Garfield’s Spider-Man continuing? It will be interesting to see how audiences react.

Regarding the rest of the JL cast, I have no feelings either way. Not any of their faults, but their movies haven’t made me warm to them at all. But I don’t mind them staying on if they can crack out some good movies with them. Miller has to go though
    My assumption is that Affleck, if he’s sticking around, would just do cameos or play support and would not do a solo movie. That gives Pattinson his own niche to differentiate him role wise from Affleck.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    My assumption is that Affleck, if he’s sticking around, would just do cameos or play support and would not do a solo movie. That gives Pattinson his own niche to differentiate him role wise from Affleck.
    Yeah, I don't see Affleck suiting up much, if at all, if he keeps making appearances.

(Which kind of defeats the point of having him as Batman, but WB's already made their bed).

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Benedict has been Dr. Strange as long as Gal has been Wonder Woman. They both debuted in 2016 or did you forget that? They've both only had two solo films and a smattering of guest appearances. In fact, Cumberbatch has been in more MCU films than Gal has been in DCEU films. So, if you're saying that Benedict should stay cuz he "hasn't been around that long" but are telling Gal she better hurry up and move on, that doesn't seem logically consistent.

Plus, look at Hemsworth. Dude has been Thor for 11 years and seems to want to keep it that way for another 6 at least.
    Obviously I forgot he debuted in 2016 and I never said "gal you need to hurry your butt up and move on!" I think I very clearly stated that she LIKELY wont want to continue in the role for that much longer. Those are two very different statements. I also dont see Benedict staying around forever for Strange and he will LIKELY WANT TO MOVE ON (just so we're clear, im not telling him to hurry his butt up and move on)

Chris being the only OG to stick around doesnt mean that every actor is willing to stick around.

Also, you really seem to be cherrypicking from that quote from an article that came out in 2017. Even in the part you cite, she says "as long as the story is good" she's game. Plus, nobody is expecting her to be Wonder Woman when she's like 60. Of course it's not gonna be the only role she plays her whole career and she will eventually move on to other projects. However, for a good while, she seems geared to be Wonder Woman. And she still gets to do other projects while she's playing Wonder Woman.

I mean, Hemsworth got 4 Thor films. Let Gadot get her 4 Wonder Woman films. She obviously loves playing the character.

And if the end goal for you is "hurry up and finish so we can restart the DCEU," well again, that's likely not gonna happen. They've seemingly signaled that they want to continue with this same continuity and rumors are that they are actively seeking to bring Cavill back to be Superman. And sorry, but Reeves's The Batman is also not gonna be a starting point for a new DC film universe. Reeves himself only signed on because he didn't want his Batman being in a shared universe. So, it looks like Gadot is set to be Wonder Woman for at least several more years.
    It's not cherry picking when it is at the very end of the sentence.
    She'll reprise the role next in November's Justice League, again in her 2019 standalone sequel, and possibly again in 2020, in a movie centered on The Flash. If she's worried about being locked into a comic-book-movie carousel for the foreseeable future, she doesn't show it. "As long as the story's good," she says, "every genre is legit." All the same, she would prefer to move on from this job eventually.

"It's not that all I want to do for the rest of my life is Wonder Woman," Gadot says. "Obviously no."
    That's as clear as day. She didnt say it in the beginning, she didnt say it in the middle. She said it AFTER she said everything else.

I am perfectly fine with her doing a 4th if she wants to or sticking around for as long as she wants to, I've never said otherwise.

I'm being realistic that WBD getting their act togther 10 years after an actor originates a role, you likely wont have that actor for another 10 years. I don't need Diana/WW to disappear shortly after WBD gets their ducks in a row. Its as simple as that.

Astonishing Member

They need to create another reality for the JLA and more. They need to move away from the DCEU, it's too wonky to get what they want out of it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Obviously I forgot he debuted in 2016 and I never said "gal you need to hurry your butt up and move on!" I think I very clearly stated that she LIKELY wont want to continue in the role for that much longer. Those are two very different statements. I also dont see Benedict staying around forever for Strange and he will LIKELY WANT TO MOVE ON (just so we're clear, im not telling him to hurry his butt up and move on)

Chris being the only OG to stick around doesnt mean that every actor is willing to stick around.
    Again, I'm not saying that EVERY SINGLE actor wants to play the same role forever. Obviously not. But Gal has really shown no sign that she wants to give up playing Wonder Woman. So, she will likely want to stay on for as long as WBD will have her.

It's not cherry picking when it is at the very end of the sentence.

That's as clear as day. She didnt say it in the beginning, she didnt say it in the middle. She said it AFTER she said everything else.
    Yes you are. Or at least you're very clearly misinterpreting it. This is what it says:

If she's worried about being locked into a comic-book-movie carousel for the foreseeable future, she doesn't show it. "As long as the story's good," she says, "every genre is legit." All the same, she would prefer to move on from this job eventually.

"It's not that all I want to do for the rest of my life is Wonder Woman," Gadot says. "Obviously no."
    What she's very clearly saying here is that as long as the story is good, she is up to reprise the role. The article is saying she's NOT worried about being "locked" into comic book films because, to her, every genre is legit (including comic book films).

In other words, she's saying she sees this role the same way she sees all her other roles, including "prestige" work.

And as for "moving on form this job eventually." Uh, yeah, obviously. Firstly, this was in 2017. So, who knows where her headspace is now. But, again nobody is expecting her to play this role when she's in her 60s or for the rest of her career. But until she shows signs that she is ready to move on, we can count on her to be Wonder Woman for the foreseeable future.

I'm being realistic that WBD getting their act togther 10 years after an actor originates a role, you likely wont have that actor for another 10 years. I don't need Diana/WW to disappear shortly after WBD gets their ducks in a row. Its as simple as that.
    Again, you seem to be misinterpreting what the "10 year plan" means to WBD. They are not saying that they are going to plan for 10 years and debut a new universe in 10 years. They obviously mean that they are setting out a plan for their films for the next 10 years, including incorporating their current slate of films, their current continuity, and the actors they currently have. They obviously don't plan on waiting too long to put their plans into motion.

And nobody is saying that Wonder Woman will disappear from the DC cinematic universe within a year of them setting that plan into motion. Gal Gadot is 37. She's not 77. RDJ and Mark Ruffalo have both played their comic book characters well into their 50s. Why can we not expect the same of Gal?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-02-2022 at 11:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

That's a lot of time lost. Cavill being 39 doesn't mean he can't do it, but you have to consider the delay in all of this and if that's just a long-term smart idea.

Also, I just never saw his performance as something we need particularly need to hold onto. And, there's nothing spectacular about the three films he's been in either. There's no solid track record when it comes to him, not necessarily his fault but that is the reality of it.
    Again, RDJ played Iron Man well into his 50s. Chris Hemsworth is the same age as Henry Cavill and is not showing signs that he wants to slow down from playing Thor.

So, I don't understand this mentality that Cavill is some sort of old fart.

And okay, you may not have cared about his Superman. But a lot of other people did. And unless we wanna keep fracturing the fanbase, let's try to move forward with one version of Superman for the cinematic universe.

Astonishing Member

Gonna be two Supermans.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Again, I'm not saying that EVERY SINGLE actor wants to play the same role forever. Obviously not. But Gal has really shown no sign that she wants to give up playing Wonder Woman. So, she will likely want to stay on for as long as WBD will have her.

Yes you are. Or at least you're very clearly misinterpreting it. This is what it says:

What she's very clearly saying here is that as long as the story is good, she is up to reprise the role. The article is saying she's NOT worried about being "locked" into comic book films because, to her, every genre is legit (including comic book films).

In other words, she's saying she sees this role the same way she sees all her other roles, including "prestige" work.

And as for "moving on form this job eventually." Uh, yeah, obviously. Firstly, this was in 2017. So, who knows where her headspace is now. But, again nobody is expecting her to play this role when she's in her 60s or for the rest of her career. But until she shows signs that she is ready to move on, we can count on her to be Wonder Woman for the foreseeable future.

Again, you seem to be misinterpreting what the "10 year plan" means to WBD. They are not saying that they are going to plan for 10 years and debut a new universe in 10 years. They obviously mean that they are setting out a plan for their films for the next 10 years, including incorporating their current slate of films, their current continuity, and the actors they currently have. They obviously don't plan on waiting too long to put their plans into motion.

And nobody is saying that Wonder Woman will disappear from the DC cinematic universe within a year of them setting that plan into motion. Gal Gadot is 37. She's not 77. RDJ and Mark Ruffalo have both played their comic book characters well into their 50s. Why can we not expect the same of Gal?
    Once again she states at the end. "I dont want to do it forever" thats not cherry picking. That's how her conversation about WW ends.

Bringing up RDJ and Mark Ruffalos ages doesn't have anything to do with it. RDJ did 11 years and walked away. Gal is at 7 years. Ruffalo spends most of his time in guest spots and voicing a chi green dude.

The MCU is a well oiled aged machine. The DCEU is not. They are just now trying to grow their world a proper way and still don't have things planned out. By the time they know we could be down to Gals last few years in the role and thus likely spend majority of its possible golden years without Diana.