Page 1337 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 33783712371287132713331334133513361337133813391340134113471387 ... LastLast
Results 20,041 to 20,055 of 20948
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Fam, are we living in the same timeline? Writing video essays on Youtube about how the 'Phase 4 Sucks' nets you millions of views. Its 2022, even MCU fans are willing to admit most of the recent MCU projects are trash to mediocre.
    MCU has 29 films. Of those 29...only 3 are below 70% for critical reviews.
    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...movies-ranked/

Keeping fans happy is not easy and just looking at how you have plenty of people who will review bomb a film/series that they see as woke, or shows males in a negative light...yeah they are huge on YT and around the net.

I figured it wouldn’t review very well, it looks generic. Guess we’ll see how the box office pans out. The Rock really should have made a better effort to get better talent involved behind the scenes, this director does not have a great track record with reviews. If you’re serious about this why not make an effort to get someone who wants to aim hire than “typical 50s RT The Rock movie”? Oh well, guess we wait and see how the box office does.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    MCU has 29 films. Of those 29...only 3 are below 70% for critical reviews.
    https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com...movies-ranked/

Keeping fans happy is not easy and just looking at how you have plenty of people who will review bomb a film/series that they see as woke, or shows males in a negative light...yeah they are huge on YT and around the net.
    Citing RT has nothing to do with the current zeitgeist of of where the MCU stands in broader culture, these are not popularity polls.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Shang Chi and Spider-Man were good. The rest seemed par for the course. People act like everything in MCU phase 1 was a banger when it really wasn't, but because it started everything off, its held in high regard. Phase 2s highlight is Winter Soldier, Atman was fun, but Captain America was the only standout.

Then we get to Phase 3, that was so long and had:

Captain America: Civil War (2016)
    Doctor Strange (2016)
    Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
    Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
    Black Panther (2018)
    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
    Captain Marvel (2019)
    Avengers: Endgame (2019)
    Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

and a few others.

Phase 4 started off in a pandemic. We also got shows on Disney+. I'm not saying I've loved everything, but I can say that for every phase. Phase 3 is the anomaly not the norm. It was bloated, with several iconic hit films.

I like to think most fans are aware of this, but there is a subset of the fanbase I feel is becoming a bit whinny, a little entitled, and maybe that's because Marvel's spoiled them. However, this group isn't as out there as some are with the Snyderverse. Some of that group has become almost tribalistic when talking about the DCEU.
    The J-man

Citing RT has nothing to do with the current zeitgeist of of where the MCU stands in broader culture, these are not popularity polls.
    MCU is still popular as hell with the broader culture. Its the intense fanboys where its popularity may have waned but they still eat it up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Ok, I just looked at some of this guy’s past reviews and apparently he really liked Thor: Love and Thunder, so I’m not trusting his opinion.

“Thor: Love and Thunder’ Review: Fun and Quirky Space Epic…”
    Rolling Stone also hates it, just not as completely.

The MCU is far from perfect, no franchise is but what it does is build history and make you care about its characters. DC just presses fast forward and doesnt want to barely any building.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    If Black Adam is truly terrible I just don’t get it. It seems almost impossible for a studio to makes this many bad (non-Batman) superhero movies. How is it that they just can’t figure it out?!? They hit the mark occasional with movies like Wonder Woman and The Suicide Squad, but everything else is like 80% average to terrible. Disney is basically giving them blue prints and detailed instructions and they just keep churning out crap. Disney has definitely had some misses lately but they’re still turning out more positive than negative.
    WB makes DC movies wherein they ignore characterization, likeability, and good plotting. That's their thing, thinking that comic book movies are somehow different than regular movies in that all that matters is spectacle and bad CGI. Marvel OTOH knew enough to prioritize characterization and usually good acting, and was good enough at plotting they could plant small seeds that make comeback many movies later. WB just seems to be institutionally incompetent.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Shang Chi and Spider-Man were good. The rest seemed par for the course. People act like everything in MCU phase 1 was a banger when it really wasn't, but because it started everything off, its held in high regard. Phase 2s highlight is Winter Soldier, Atman was fun, but Captain America was the only standout.

Then we get to Phase 3, that was so long and had:

Captain America: Civil War (2016)
    Doctor Strange (2016)
    Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
    Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
    Black Panther (2018)
    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
    Captain Marvel (2019)
    Avengers: Endgame (2019)
    Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

and a few others.

Phase 4 started off in a pandemic. We also got shows on Disney+. I'm not saying I've loved everything, but I can say that for every phase. Phase 3 is the anomaly not the norm. It was bloated, with several iconic hit films.

I like to think most fans are aware of this, but there is a subset of the fanbase I feel is becoming a bit whinny, a little entitled, and maybe that's because Marvel's spoiled them. However, this group isn't as out there as some are with the Snyderverse. Some of that group has become almost tribalistic when talking about the DCEU.
    I thought even Shang Chi was a garbled mess pushing too many threads and sort of letting down the main character. SMNWH was pretty good, really the only post Endgame picture of theirs that I liked.

I don't really put that much stock in RT versus actual reviews...but I still feel like I'll enjoy it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    WB makes DC movies wherein they ignore characterization, likeability, and good plotting. That's their thing, thinking that comic book movies are somehow different than regular movies in that all that matters is spectacle and bad CGI. Marvel OTOH knew enough to prioritize characterization and usually good acting, and was good enough at plotting they could plant small seeds that make comeback many movies later. WB just seems to be institutionally incompetent.
    Not to mention QUIPS! Plenty and plenty of QUIPS! And other assorted Bathos.
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I thought even Shang Chi was a garbled mess pushing too many threads and sort of letting down the main character. SMNWH was pretty good, really the only post Endgame picture of theirs that I liked.
    Where Shang-Chi lost me was the Kaiju fight and when they seemingly forgot the fact that they were fighting a behind the scenes terrorist organization because we needed Shang-Chi's dad to be sympathetic and everybody to team-up at the end.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't really put that much stock in RT versus actual reviews...but I still feel like I'll enjoy it myself.

Not to mention QUIPS! Plenty and plenty of QUIPS! And other assorted Bathos.

Where Shang-Chi lost me was the Kaiju fight and when they seemingly forgot the fact that they were fighting a behind the scenes terrorist organization because we needed Shang-Chi's dad to be sympathetic and everybody to team-up at the end.
    Same here, Frontier. I'm expecting a serviceable and entertaining movie with action that uses cool DC characters on the big screen. As long as nobody gets done too dirty, namely Fate and Hawkman, I'm sure it'll be at least kinda fun.

Also, yeah I understand why people take reviews the way they do, but RT scores? Really? Just go watch it yourself and come to your own conclusion...or don't go watch it. The fatalism associated with literally anything DCEU related is quite exhausting. At the very least, the Rock got Cavill his job back and now there's reports of MoS2 revving into action. And we get JSA characters on the big screen. It already can't be THAT bad.
    Last edited by Shimbo; 10-18-2022 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    MCU is still popular as hell with the broader culture. Its the intense fanboys where its popularity may have waned but they still eat it up.
    I'm not doubting that the MCU is still popular though. My argument was a rebuff against the claim that recent MCU films were received positively and anyone in the community knows that isn't the case. Take this as a keyhole to the zetigeist I'm describing, but there is a famous leftist (as in anti-capitalist) Youtuber called Schfrillas Production who made a video called "We've been taking the the MCU for granted" a few years ago, recently put out a video called, "The MCU has been taking us for Granted" and it has 1.5 million views.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I'm not doubting that the MCU is still popular though. My argument was a rebuff against the claim that recent MCU films were received positively and anyone in the community knows that isn't the case. Take this as a keyhole to the zetigeist I'm describing, but there is a famous leftist (as in anti-capitalist) Youtuber called Schfrillas Production who made a video called "We've been taking the the MCU for granted" a few years ago, recently put out a video called, "The MCU has been taking us for Granted" and it has 1.5 million views.
    And The Little Mermaid trailer has/had 2.4million dislikes

RT score is now 54. Going up and down like a yoyo.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, that was one of the too many threads.