Page 1361 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3618611261131113511357135813591360136113621363136413651371 ... LastLast
Results 20,401 to 20,415 of 20948
    Extraordinary Member

Now I'm wondering how Gunn and this other guy are going to get along with The Rock considering The Rock had enough pull to both a.) make Black Adam it's own movie and not first introduced in SHAZAM and b.) make WB bring Cavill back.

Not commenting on whether either of those were a good idea, but neither of those are particularly small feats, imho.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I like Gunn as a director for the most part, but I have a lot of doubts about him leading an entire film division that has already struggled for years to build anything cohesive. Gunn seems like the kind of guy that works best on the fringes where he can do his own thing and make his jokes, or even have his R rated movies, but that doesn't work as well when you are trying to build main pillars I think.

Guy who made one of the only good DC products in recent memory (Peacemaker) gets to make more stuff

"Here's how this is bad actually..."

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I like Gunn as a director for the most part, but I have a lot of doubts about him leading an entire film division that has already struggled for years to build anything cohesive. Gunn seems like the kind of guy that works best on the fringes where he can do his own thing and make his jokes, or even have his R rated movies, but that doesn't work as well when you are trying to build main pillars I think.
    He turned Guardians of the Galaxy, a team that most comic book readers had never heard of, into a billion dollar franchise with its own ride at Disneyland. He knows what the general audience wants and has a proven track record. Suicide Squad and Peacemaker are two of the very rare DC projects that both critics and fans enjoyed.

WB had been trying to court him for years and they even (unsuccessfully) recut movies to be more like Gunn’s films. Unless you’re shooting for an art house Oscar bait project, superhero flicks should be first and foremost a fun time and the movies. Gunn delivers that.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-25-2022 at 03:58 PM.

GiantFreakingRobot is a clickbait site, however. Even the other usual suspects in the scooper circles aren't claiming this.
    Last edited by Holt; 10-25-2022 at 04:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

they better be working on a DCEU bible now that they're hired. Like Weisman and co. have for YJ that expands the whole DCU.

Mike Cernovich has to be seething right now. Lol.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Quote Originally Posted by BlackClaw View Post
    Mike Cernovich has to be seething right now. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    He turned Guardians of the Galaxy, a team that most comic book readers had never heard of, into a billion dollar franchise with its own ride at Disneyland. He knows what the general audience wants and has a proven track record. Suicide Squad and Peacemaker are two of the very rare DC projects that both critics and fans enjoyed.

WB had been trying to court him for years and they even (unsuccessfully) recut movies to be more like Gunn’s films. Unless you’re shooting for an art house Oscar bait project, superhero flicks should be first and foremost a fun time and the movies. Gunn delivers that.
    That is my point. Guardians was on the fringes of the MCU. So he could do what he wanted more, but I don't think the same approach would have worked if he had to be the one to design and plot out the main pillars of the MCU. You have to work in a much more confined space with trying to appeal to a broader audience. The Suicide Squad, which I didn't think was that good, tried to operate on the fringes again but it didn't land as well as Guardians. Sure, Guardians already had the success of the other MCU movies and even an huge Avengers movie to make people have faith in an unknown property like Guardians, and The Suicide Squad was coming off a lot of bad DC movies, so it isn't the same 1 to 1 situation.

I think Gunn makes fine movies, but I don't know if that is really what is most important when trying to get an entire film division off the ground that is already weighed down with so much baggage. He is going to be put more in the position of delegating and planning over just directing his little corner of the universe and I don't know how he will be at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Except Gunn knows how to make movies, lol.

Big W in my book. The Suicide Squad is my favorite DCEU production.
    Yep.

Movies with lazy storytelling and poor character development (Aquaman, BvS) isn't going to fly with this guy, I wonder how Black Adam 2 is gonna look like now.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    they better be working on a DCEU bible now that they're hired. Like Weisman and co. have for YJ that expands the whole DCU.
    Hopefully they learn from Weisman's mistakes and make it actually interesting.

Astonishing Member

I just realized how much I want to see a Blue Beetle and Booster Gold movie by James Gunn.

Smart move by WB.

Superman is my favorite character, yet I couldn't care less when he died in BvS but I actually got misty eyed when Yondu a character I never cared about died that's story telling.

Also, rumors were Feige was eyeing Gunn to shepherd the Galaxy side of the MCU until Alan Horn fired him who ironically is also back at WB. But Feige had faith in Gunn developing a part of the MCU meaning him developing the DCEU is probably a good thing.

I'm kind of surprised Gunn would take DC up on it. I would've assumed he'd be more interested in doing his own stuff than shepherding DC Entertainment at all.

I hope this doesn't mean more DC products have to tie-in to the movies or that continuity like with Marvel Studios.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hopefully they learn from Weisman's mistakes and make it actually interesting.
    He made plenty of things interesting. But I think we all know that DC films wont be doing random time jumps and focusing on the likes Fred Bugg or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of surprised Gunn would take DC up on it. I would've assumed he'd be more interested in doing his own stuff than shepherding DC Entertainment at all.

I hope this doesn't mean more DC products have to tie-in to the movies or that continuity like with Marvel Studios.
    Considering their version of "tie ins" is just referencing SM/BM/WW....even if it were I doubt it'd be anything big.