Page 1376 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3768761276132613661372137313741375137613771378137913801386 ... LastLast
Results 20,626 to 20,640 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    The difference there is that Venom got released in China, which is where it made about a quarter of its box office. If BA had gotten a China release, we'd be having a VERY different conversation right now.
    Venom grossed north of $850M worldwide, $269M from China. Without China it would've still grossed around $600M worldwide, while I'm not sure if Black Adam would make it close to that number in the end. BA needed China because it had a heftier budget but overall the movie still underperformed despite being touted as The Rock's best opening BO number to date, while Venom ended up having better legs despite the worse reviews. So the conversation perhaps wouldn't be that much different.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-06-2022 at 08:55 AM.

From the box office thread--

After the he said-she said madness saturday the dust has settled and good news-bad news for the top two.

Black adam does indeed win first place one last week so good news. Bad news it's one of wbs lowest dcu films and could cost the studio over $200m.

One piece bad news it came in second and no tv ads is a big blame. Many didn't even know it was out. Sony paid for a new york times square ad but not any ads on cartoon network where the show is playing? Bad move sony.

Good news is it's the highest grossing one piece film so far in america.

So good and bad to both.
    From variety-

“Black Adam,” a comic book adventure starring Dwayne Johnson, loomed over box office charts for the third weekend in a row with $18.5 million in North American ticket sales. It was another quiet period at the movies as theater operators eagerly await Marvel’s “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” which looks to invigorate the lackluster fall box office when it opens on Nov. 11.

After three weeks of release, “Black Adam” has generated $137.3 million and more than $250 million globally. It’s a solid result, one that improves greatly upon another recent DC spinoff, 2021’s “The Suicide Squad” (which tapped out with $168 million globally while playing simultaneously on HBO Max in North America), but the latest Warner Bros. standalone superhero story still has ways to go to justify its massive $195 million production budget.

In second place, a new anime musical titled “One Piece Film Red” collected $9.475 million from 2,367 North American theaters. It’s another modest win for Crunchyroll, which specializes in anime film and television, following recent anime releases like “Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero” ($38 million domestically) and “Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie” ($34 million domestically).

“Sony-owned Crunchyroll has built a very popular business for their Japanese anime,” says David A. Gross, who runs the movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research. “It’s impressive.”
    https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...er-1235424557/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Venom grossed north of $850M worldwide, $269M from China. Without China it would've still grossed around $600M worldwide, while I'm not sure if Black Adam would make it close to that number in the end. BA needed China because it had a heftier budget but overall the movie still underperformed despite being touted as The Rock's best opening BO number to date, while Venom ended up having better legs despite the worse reviews. So the conversation perhaps wouldn't be that much different.
    Well, it’s important to point out that Black Adam has not finished its theatrical run yet. It just got to about $320 million and still has some time left in theaters. And yes, Black Panther will probably eat into that, but it looks like it’ll potentially end it’s run at around $500 million, which is about as much as Venom made without the China box office. So, again, IF the film wasn’t banned in China, we would probably be having a very different conversation.

Well, it’s important to point out that Black Adam has not finished its theatrical run yet. It just got to about $320 million and still has some time left in theaters. And yes, Black Panther will probably eat into that, but it looks like it’ll potentially end it’s run at around $500 million, which is about as much as Venom made without the China box office. So, again, IF the film wasn’t banned in China, we would probably be having a very different conversation.
    Venom made $587M without China. Black Adam making about $100M below that seems far less impressive. And like I said, the budget comes to mind here, a movie that cost as much as it did can't afford to underperform with or without the Chinese market that studios only take about a quarter of all the profits.

Extraordinary Member

Venom made $587M without China. Black Adam making about $100M below that seems far less impressive. And like I said, the budget comes to mind here, a movie that cost as much as it did can't afford to underperform with or without the Chinese market that studios only take about a quarter of all the profits.
    The budget was $195 million. Now, that doesn’t include marketing, but it has already surpassed that by some amount. So, I think it’s a bit early to be labeling this as a flop when it hasn’t even wrapped up its theatrical run yet. People on this forum in general need to stop acting as if the sky is falling because it’s starting to sound like the boy that cried wolf.

Is it underwhelming? Yeah. But it’s not the worst box office performance.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From James Gunn:

"Opened up Twitter at the end of a long, creative weekend to see the many tweets to #SaveLegendsofTomorrow & #ReleaseTheAyerCut & fan support for other DC projects over the years. The majority of these requests were enthusiastic & respectful.

As the new (& first ever) CEOs of DC Studios, Peter & I think it’s important we acknowledge you, the fans, & let you know we hear your different desires for the pathways forward for DC.

Although our ability to interact on Twitter has been lessened due to the workload of our new positions, we are listening & open to everything as we embark on this journey, & will continue to do so for the next few years.

But all our initial focus is on the story going forward, hammering out the new DCU, & telling the Biggest Story Ever Told across multiple films, television shows, & animated projects.

We invite all of the DC fandoms from across the multiverse — and everyone else as well — into this new universe. We can’t wait to reveal more."

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status...36397336698880

The budget was $195 million. Now, that doesn’t include marketing, but it has already surpassed that by some amount. So, I think it’s a bit early to be labeling this as a flop when it hasn’t even wrapped up its theatrical run yet. People on this forum in general need to stop acting as if the sky is falling because it’s starting to sound like the boy that cried wolf.

Is it underwhelming? Yeah. But it’s not the worst box office performance.
    I don't recall saying it was a flop, I said it underperformed, which it did considering its price tag. Not sure who you're lumping me in with on this forum, but it seems like you should pay more attention to some comments before you decide to label them as crying wolf.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I don't recall saying it was a flop, I said it underperformed, which it did considering its price tag. Not sure who you're lumping me in with on this forum, but it seems like you should pay more attention to some comments before you decide to label them as crying wolf.
    Actually. It can be called a flop. It may not even gross pass 400M WW. And its total cost is likely 300M

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

How is ba grossing 500M? As it is going. We don't know if it will pas 400MM. And how do we know that it would have grossed more than 200M in China? Because that's the kind of numbers it needed.

Usually, studios must share 50% of the box office with theaters. So if BA makes $500M, WB only gets $250M. And with marketing included, Black Adam's total budget is likely over $300M.
    If they gave Black Adam (a lesser known character), the budget of Shazam (another lesser known character), we'd be having a completely different conversation. But they didn't. They spent so much. That to make a profit they would have likely needed at least over 600M globally at the BO.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    From James Gunn:

"Opened up Twitter at the end of a long, creative weekend to see the many tweets to #SaveLegendsofTomorrow & #ReleaseTheAyerCut & fan support for other DC projects over the years. The majority of these requests were enthusiastic & respectful.

As the new (& first ever) CEOs of DC Studios, Peter & I think it’s important we acknowledge you, the fans, & let you know we hear your different desires for the pathways forward for DC.

Although our ability to interact on Twitter has been lessened due to the workload of our new positions, we are listening & open to everything as we embark on this journey, & will continue to do so for the next few years.

But all our initial focus is on the story going forward, hammering out the new DCU, & telling the Biggest Story Ever Told across multiple films, television shows, & animated projects.

We invite all of the DC fandoms from across the multiverse — and everyone else as well — into this new universe. We can’t wait to reveal more."

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status...36397336698880
    Does this mean that every movie, TV show and animated series will all take place in one continuity going forward. If so, isn't that exactly what the previous regime was going to do as well, with the exception of The Batman and Joker continuities.

Does this mean that every movie, TV show and animated series will all take place in one continuity going forward. If so, isn't that exactly what the previous regime was going to do as well, with the exception of The Batman and Joker continuities.
    It sounds a lot like the MCU.

The DC properties were usually split in multiple continuities: Arrowverse, DCEU, the HBO Max DC's shows, etc.

The MCU is also doing Multiverse productions, however. The difference is that unlike what WB was doing, where the movie and TV stuff was all siloed off and managed by different divisions, the upcoming multiverse stuff like Marvel Zombies and the new Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons are all produced and overseen by Marvel Studios. Going forward I reckon that is what we may see here, especially since the "the biggest story we've ever done" stuff makes me think Crisis is still the endgame (no pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The MCU is also doing Multiverse productions, however. The difference is that unlike what WB was doing, where the movie and TV stuff was all siloed off and managed by different divisions, the upcoming multiverse stuff like Marvel Zombies and the new Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons are all produced and overseen by Marvel Studios. Going forward I reckon that is what we may see here, especially since the "the biggest story we've ever done" stuff makes me think Crisis is still the endgame (no pun intended).
    DCU's Crisis = MCU's Secret Wars.

We'll never stop to hear DC is copying Marvel.

Extraordinary Member

Here is some talk about black adam and china.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    DCU's Crisis = MCU's Secret Wars.

We'll never stop to hear DC is copying Marvel.
    Darkseid will forever be remembered by non-fans as DC copying Thanos.