Page 1377 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3778771277132713671373137413751376137713781379138013811387 ... LastLast
Results 20,641 to 20,655 of 20948
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Darkseid will forever be remembered by non-fans as DC copying Thanos.
    Yup, and the JL as wannabe Avengers.

Gunn basically letting people know the Ayer Cut isn’t coming out lol (can’t imagine Zaslav would ever greenlight that).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Does this mean that every movie, TV show and animated series will all take place in one continuity going forward. If so, isn't that exactly what the previous regime was going to do as well, with the exception of The Batman and Joker continuities.
    Nah Hamada was going to allow for more standalones, but then bring it all together for Crisis which would wrap everything up and let them hard reboot. Now it seems like the “main” universe will be the focus with only Reeves and Phillips getting to go do their own thing.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

From every released clip and script excerpt I've seen of the Ayer Cut, nothing of value was lost.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    How is ba grossing 500M? As it is going. We don't know if it will pas 400MM. And how do we know that it would have grossed more than 200M in China? Because that's the kind of numbers it needed.

Usually, studios must share 50% of the box office with theaters. So if BA makes $500M, WB only gets $250M. And with marketing included, Black Adam's total budget is likely over $300M.
    If they gave Black Adam (a lesser known character), the budget of Shazam (another lesser known character), we'd be having a completely different conversation. But they didn't. They spent so much. That to make a profit they would have likely needed at least over 600M globally at the BO.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...on-finish/amp/

Depending on how it holds again BP, it likely can reach $500 million.

But most importantly, where are you getting your numbers? Do we have official numbers on the marketing? Because I can’t seem to find any.

But either way, Black Adam does look like it will make its production budget back. Whether it makes enough to justify a sequel is another story. Though, I’d be surprised if the story of Black Adam wasn’t continued in at least some fashion. After all, this is a shared universe. The characters from Black Adam are gonna pop up again.

Either way though, the performance of Black Adam is not necessarily going to influence the direction at DC Studios. So all this squabbling over whether it’s a success or not is really pointless since WBD probably won’t look at its performance as an indicator of which direction they should head in. The new leadership has JUST taken over and has hit the ground running it seems. The important things that came out of Black Adam that will have an impact on DC films going forward are probably gonna stick around: i.e. the establishment of Black Adam and the JSA and the return of Henry Cavill as Superman.

That’s pretty much what’s going to matter to the DCU’s future.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 11-06-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Some are saying the break even point for black adam is 600 million like grace.

Others are saying the break even point is 450 million like john campea.

Then there are some others who say 500 million or 500 million to 550 million.

Who is closer to the truth?

I posted this question here as well.
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...Office/page199
    Last edited by mace11; 11-06-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Goblin of Sector 2814 View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhug...on-finish/amp/

Depending on how it holds again BP, it likely can reach $500 million.

But most importantly, where are you getting your numbers? Do we have official numbers on the marketing? Because I can’t seem to find any.

But either way, Black Adam does look like it will make its production budget back. Whether it makes enough to justify a sequel is another story. Though, I’d be surprised if the story of Black Adam wasn’t continued in at least some fashion. After all, this is a shared universe. The characters from Black Adam are gonna pop up again.

Either way though, the performance of Black Adam is not necessarily going to influence the direction at DC Studios. So all this squabbling over whether it’s a success or not is really pointless since WBD probably won’t look at its performance as an indicator of which direction they should head in. The new leadership has JUST taken over and has hit the ground running it seems. The important things that came out of Black Adam that will have an impact on DC films going forward are probably gonna stick around: i.e. the establishment of Black Adam and the JSA and the return of Henry Cavill as Superman.

That’s pretty much what’s going to matter to the DCU’s future.
    Breaking even and making a profit are not the same thing though.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Gunn's TSS had a budget of $185M, and only made $168M at the global BO: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt6334354/

It got spin-off series and Gunn became DCU's boss.

You never know WB's parameters of success.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 11-06-2022 at 03:04 PM.

Does this mean that every movie, TV show and animated series will all take place in one continuity going forward. If so, isn't that exactly what the previous regime was going to do as well, with the exception of The Batman and Joker continuities.
    Man, I would hate that. As much as I enjoy the MCU I hate how much Marvel media has been catered towards it.

Venom grossed north of $850M worldwide, $269M from China. Without China it would've still grossed around $600M worldwide, while I'm not sure if Black Adam would make it close to that number in the end. BA needed China because it had a heftier budget but overall the movie still underperformed despite being touted as The Rock's best opening BO number to date, while Venom ended up having better legs despite the worse reviews. So the conversation perhaps wouldn't be that much different.
    Don’t forget the difference in exchange rates. The dollar is much stronger now than what it was when Venom released, meaning BA is getting less bang for his buck internationally
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Man, I would hate that. As much as I enjoy the MCU I hate how much Marvel media has been catered towards it.
    Well Zaslav did say he wants an MCU-like shared universe. The funny thing is his predecessors already tried to replicate its success and didn't really do a good job with it. You'd think doubling down on it wouldn't be the wisest thing to do, and yet here we are.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-07-2022 at 01:36 AM.

Well Zaslav did say he wants and MCU-like shared universe. The funny thing is his predecessors already tried to replicate its success and didn't really do a good job with it. You'd think doubling down on it wouldn't be the wisest thing to do, and yet here we are.
    And here I thought the best thing about DC was variety.

The prior attempt to recommit to a shared universe was an unfortunate victim of timing. Flash was meant to be the thing relaunching the universe and setting up Crisis On Infinite Earths, but it got delayed by a year and the merger meant the new regime came in and forced out a lot of the old blood.

Zaslav plain out said he would have never greenlit Cry Macho a project Clint Eastwood did because the studio knew it wasn't going to be profitable. But it got made because of Eastwood's past success and his relationship with the Studio which Zaslav doesn't care about he doesn't care about yesterday or tomorrow he only cares about what you can do for him today.

Now I think that's a dumb way to think when in the entertainment industry. I don't care if film, music, sports, or art you nurture talent with the knowledge not everything's going to be a homerun.

DC as a whole will do fine under Zaslav because he does want to nature it as a brand, and he does seem invested in Superman and Cavill. But IMO given the Box Office Black Adam could be iffy the only saving grace ironically Black Adam has could be Cavill given the Rock got him back so he will probably return the favor if things go south.

Extraordinary Member

Some are saying shazam was a flop and it needed 400 million to break even.

Budget $100,000,000.

Then another
    $100,000,000.

Marketing 100 million plus another 100 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And here I thought the best thing about DC was variety.
    That’s the worst thing about DC and why their fanbase is so fractured! So many different versions of the DCU is a bad thing thag only splits the fanbase

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post
    Some are saying shazam was a flop and it needed 400 million to break even.

Budget $100,000,000.

Then another
    $100,000,000.

Marketing 100 million plus another 100 million.
    No that’s no how things work and not every film has 100M marketing. Shazam cost 100M and made 366M world wide, making a profit of 74M for WB.
    Last edited by El_Gato; 11-06-2022 at 07:28 PM.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!