Page 139 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 39891291351361371381391401411421431491892396391139 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    What's the director done before BoP? It's an indie director, right?
    I'm pretty sure it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is.
    Hm, Disney did good with indie directors, but that's not necessarily a guarantee for quality. It's possible that this director is more of a crime/drama person, and they're intentionally dialing down on superhero stuff as much as possible with this.

Cathy Yan directed one feature length film before BoP; a drama/comedy called Dead Pigs. Never saw it, but was well received by critics. (well, the 8 critics who actually saw it according to Rotten Tomatoes)

About Cathy Yan Director of BIRDS OF PREY (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)
    https://www.wmagazine.com/story/harl...-margot-robbie
    Her most prominent work as a Director is the aforementioned DEAD PIGS
    (trailer below)
    https://youtu.be/3ip5UeW1nos
    about which this is said in the article:
    Variety wrote that it "is delightfully uneven, eagerly seesawing between screwy and serious, occasionally even daring to be ditzy." That reads like a line that could describe the character of Quinn as well, come to think of it.
    The Hollywood Reporter called it "a dark, quirky comedy" and "genially offbeat and broadly relatable." The review also claims that the film has "the tantalizing potential to successfully appeal to both domestic and international audiences." Which, incidentally, is exactly the sort of thing studios want from major blockbusters nowadays as well.
    "

On the topic of diversity in casting:
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...95417449.html/
    "...real life isn’t so one specific image. We’ve got to reflect that onscreen.”

Now there are the predictable reports of trouble on the set stemming from Robbie's Producer role and clashing with Director Yan, and both of them being inexperienced in those roles.
    https://radaronline.com/exclusives/2...ds-prey-movie/
    “Margot hates the way everything looks,” one on-set source told Radar. “She thinks she’s coming across as a clown Opens a New Window. and way too campy.”
    Last edited by Thirteen; 02-14-2019 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

On the topic of diversity in casting:
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...95417449.html/
    "...real life isn’t so one specific image. We’ve got to reflect that onscreen.”
    And yet they where disrespectful enough to not bother looking for ethnic correct original characters for the diverse casting on top of annoying ppl that care for accuracy of CB characters.

Now there are the predictable reports of trouble on the set stemming from Robbie's Producer role and clashing with Director Yan, and both of them being inexperienced in those roles.
    “Margot hates the way everything looks,” one on-set source told Radar. “She thinks she’s coming across as a clown Opens a New Window. and way too campy.”
    I agree with her if thats what being said. Well. Not sure about the Clown thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    And yet they where disrespectful enough to not bother looking for ethnic correct original characters for the diverse casting on top of annoying ppl that care for accuracy of CB characters.
    Eh, I think Margot just didn't want another hot white blonde on the team. If Harley wasn't a part of this, I'm fairly certain Black Canary would've looked more comic accurate. And I suppose they didn't think characters like Vixen or Bumblebee would get them the same attention that a character with lots of outside media representation like BC would.

Birds of Prey movie:

I get a permission denied when visiting that site; no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Eh, I think Margot just didn't want another hot white blonde on the team. If Harley wasn't a part of this, I'm fairly certain Black Canary would've looked more comic accurate. And I suppose they didn't think characters like Vixen or Bumblebee would get them the same attention that a character with lots of outside media representation like BC would.
    I'm not sure the difference in fame between Vixen, Black Canary, and Bumblebee is enough to quibble about here (searches for DC Vixen/Black Canary/Bumblebee gives 16M, 24.3M, and 23.5M results). In every case even a modestly successful movie will easily surpass any of the three. (For comparison, DC Harley Quinn gives 69.7M, DC Supergirl 61.5M, DC Catwoman 35.3M, and DC Wonder Woman 160M).

I think it's more that they wanted the street-level Gotham thing (which fits Harley), but neither Vixen nor Bumblebee fits that environ well, while Black Canary does. And since they wanted a team-up, Black Canary came with Huntress and the Birds of Prey moniker (despite it seems like they run roughshod over any accurate depiction of the team), something which is not the case for Vixen or Bumblebee.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Same. And it's surprisingly awesome to hear his understanding.

About Cathy Yan Director of BIRDS OF PREY (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)
    https://www.wmagazine.com/story/harl...-margot-robbie
    Her most prominent work as a Director is the aforementioned DEAD PIGS
    (trailer below)
    https://youtu.be/3ip5UeW1nos
    about which this is said in the article:
    Variety wrote that it "is delightfully uneven, eagerly seesawing between screwy and serious, occasionally even daring to be ditzy." That reads like a line that could describe the character of Quinn as well, come to think of it.
    The Hollywood Reporter called it "a dark, quirky comedy" and "genially offbeat and broadly relatable." The review also claims that the film has "the tantalizing potential to successfully appeal to both domestic and international audiences." Which, incidentally, is exactly the sort of thing studios want from major blockbusters nowadays as well.
    "
    It definitely sounds like a Harley solo movie (and not, y'know, Birds of Prey).
    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I mean, it sounds cool and all, but I'd rather get a good Clark Kent Superman movie before we start spinning films about Elseworld Supermen...

Astonishing Member

Her previous film, her debut movie, was not exactly well liked.

From what I understand, RadarOnline isn't the most trustworthy source of info. Best to take this at least with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    No disrespect.
    In the topic of race bending historically white characters/diversity
    A lily white movie cast is not desireable in an era of actually wanting to reflect what the world looks like in the big screen.
    Institutionalized Racism is the main factor for most characters being White. When Black Canary was created, it would of been have unheard of for the character to be otherwise. White was the default “normal”. No longer. The question becomes “Why couldn’t this character have this heritage? Is there a good (or any) reason not to consider a different type of portrayal? What does the character lose/gain by looking differently now than when conceived in the very different culture decades ago?

Ellen Pompeo nailed it...

Fantastic Member

No disrespect.
    A lily white movie cast is not desireable in an era of actually wanting to reflect what the world looks like in the big screen.
    Institutionalized Racism is the main factor for most characters being White. When Black Canary was created, it would of been have unheard of for the character to be otherwise. White was the default “normal”. No longer. The question becomes “Why couldn’t this character have this heritage? Is there a good (or any) reason not to consider a different type of portrayal? What does the character lose/gain by looking differently now than when conceived in the very different culture decades ago?

Ellen Pompeo nailed it...
    This cast would have had diversity anyway; Asian, Hispanic, Huntress has been depicted as Afro-Italian...they didn't have to race swap Canary. It makes it seem that they did it simply because "Black" is in her name. That seems reductive and racist to me. Disrespectful.

Ultimate Member

No disrespect.
    Institutionalized Racism is the main factor for most characters being White. When Black Canary was created, it would of been have unheard of for the character to be otherwise. White was the default “normal”. No longer.
    The BONE I would like to pick at is you have POC that are NOT being used.

Vixen has her OWN CW Seed show and is on Legends of Tomorrow.

Bumblebee is in DC Super Hero Girls line.

Natasha Irons

Black Lightning daughters

Or you could have gone without a black female as the cast was already diverse.

However we ALL know what would have happened if they did that. Certain segments of black females would have made it their BUSINESS to make that film flop or under perform.

The question becomes “Why couldn’t this character have this heritage? Is there a good (or any) reason not to consider a different type of portrayal? What does the character lose/gain by looking differently now than when conceived in the very different culture decades ago?
    I think the issue falls on the WRITER. For the most part when we get a POC we get the standard stereotypes and trope.

In other words I can't create a black Bruce Wayne who happens to be a billionaire. Without EVERYONE questioning where he got his money.
    Never mind we got black billionaires in real life like Robert Smith of Vista Equity Partners. Because they never get talked about unless they are Oprah or Jordan or Diddy or Robert Johnson.

Or ultra smart black male who HAPPENS to be from the HOOD with BLACK parents. It can be a girl see Riri Williams & Moon Girl & Natasha Irons. But not a black boy.
    Funny how Ben (currently in Titans) was NEVER shown to be that smart in Supergirl.
    Static & Black Panther both got dumbed down. Static created all his OWN stuff not Gears in Static Shock. Panther made his OWN stuff and Falcon's wings not Shuri & Tony Stark.

In other words you can't just tell a story like you can with white guys. You can just tell the story and no one cares about the details.