Page 226 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1261762162222232242252262272282292302362763267261226 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,390 of 20948
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    You may not believe it but most people that I know who aren't really into superheroes know that lineup. Hell earlier in the HiC Mystery thread a poster mentioned he only learned about Nemesis from the DCAU version who is just a background character in JLU. The DCAU was a pretty big thing made up of 6 tv shows, 6 movies (that are still being made and campaigned for), 2 web-series, hundreds of tie-in comics and 13 video games.

It was kinda a big deal and still is.
    It's a big deal to YOU. The only reason you're saying this is because the DCAU has importance for you. Anecdotes about other posters on this site (comprised of mostly hardcore comic fans) doesn't help your case. This myth about the DCAU is so tired and needs to end. Obviously there was a generation who grew up on those cartoons but just because it was popular for children in the 90s doesn't mean it's the GA's sole knowledge of these characters. It was popular, yes. It was prolific, yes. It was mostly comic fans and children who watched them and DC media eclipsed those series in the years following. So while it remains important you are severely overestimating its influence just because you yourself are a fan

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Black Canary doesn't exactly have a stellar track record with holding her own series either. She didn't even get her own solo series until 2015. The people that WB/DC are trying to reach don't care if Harley, Zatanna, Huntress or Batgirl are spin offs. In Zatanna's case, she's the origin character as far as casuals are concerned. Most people only Zatara as a Zatanna satellite character.
    She's had 2 solo titles and 2 mini series the Green Arrow/Black Canary comic and no, none lasted too long. She was, however, one of the two lead characters in BoP, she had consistently been in the Justice League (leading it at one point), she has popularity from the DCAU as well (hers being some of the favorite episodes from JLU), she's been featured in "Smallville" and "Arrow" and guest starring in "Flash" and if we're talking other media she has more action figures and statues than Hawkgirl and Zatanna and a Barbie which the others don't have. She's just more well known.

BANNED

A lot of people didn't grow up with the DCAU or television for that matter..it's close-minded to assume everyone had the same reaction and has nostalgic connections to these characters.

Maybe a lot of people WATCHED it, but given how much DC developed their brand since it's silly to assume the GA watched the DCAU just like we did simply because it was on television and not in a comic shop. That clearly doesn't hold up or the Justice League would be way more popular today. The DCAU only has nostalgic power for comic book fans and the Gen Z kids who grew up with it or any variations in between.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Which is very unfortunate in the cases of Superman and Wonder Woman.
    I don't think it negatively impacted Superman and Wonder Woman in that we've had still had strong portrayals of them in other media not entirely beholden to the DCAU .

The DCAU had its day but it’s time is over. It’s been what, 13 years since the last episode aired? I’d argue the Arkham games and the Nolan Batman movies were a bigger influence on the current perception of DC.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it negatively impacted Superman and Wonder Woman in that we've had still had strong portrayals of them in other media not entirely beholden to the DCAU .
    I wouldn't say it impacted them too negatively and we've had better stuff since then, but the thought of a generation thinking of Batman's girlfriend Wonder Woman (whose villains are jokes) and sucky Superman who gets beaten up by everyone in season 1 as the definitive versions, given to us by #1 Bat Fanboy Bruce Timm, is pretty distressing.

We can do much better than those cartoons, IMO.

Spectacular Member

The Gal Gadot Wonder Woman is 100000x more well known than the DCAU one. And DCAU Superman pales in comparison to the legacy of the Reeves version (they didn't even keep a single voice actor for the whole thing).

I reckon the biggest legacy of the DCAU in terms of how it impacted public perception of DC was its influence on Batman (especially Harley Quinn), making John Stewart a major Green Lantern and making the Flash be the comedic relief of the Justice League (something the movie copied despite it being Barry Allen).

It's influence is fading (and Timm doesn't do it any good with stuff like The Killing Joke) but it is there in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I wouldn't say it impacted them too negatively and we've had better stuff since then, but the thought of a generation thinking of Batman's girlfriend Wonder Woman (whose villains are jokes) and sucky Superman who gets beaten up by everyone in season 1 as the definitive versions, given to us by #1 Bat Fanboy Bruce Timm, is pretty distressing.

We can do much better than those cartoons, IMO.
    I mean, Superman had better portrayals past that first season .

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Well, just a cursory glance at Instagram, Black Canary is hashtagged 312,794 times... Zatanna almost 84,000 times and Hawkgirl 76,000 times but if you add Hawkwoman, that takes her all the way up to 79,000 times.
    Well of course Black Canary has more hashtags. She was litterally in Injustice 2, just announced in the past few months for BOP, and was a reoccuring Arrowverse character.

My point was that Hawkgirl is a far more requested character to join the League than Black Canary is. She is up there with Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern. Not taking anything away from Dinah, but it's just something I've observed whenever the topic arises. The comic side of things have done Hawkgirl (and John Stewart/Martian Manhunter) so wrong the past decade.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    And in that case, other than the original Justice League cartoon, Black Canary had been as much a party of the animations as Hawkgirl.
    Hawkgirl has Supehero Girls over Black Canary. In that show Kendra got her own shorts, barbies, action figures, merchandise...etc while Dinah never appeared, probably because last time they tried to market Black Canary in doll form parents complained.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's basically proving my point then. The supposed "generation" that you're referring to takes zero active interest in the DC characters and only casually remembers them from a cartoon show they saw as kids all those years ago. Super Friends was influential as well and if the DC universe was not defined by that, then why should it be defined by this.
    We are talking about the movies here. More specifically the JL and the future of that franchise. It makes sense that the most prolific exposure for that franchise (JLU) would be used as a barometer for the films.

The current comics is the best JL line-up in over a decade. I'd replace Cyborg with Vixen, but other than that it's perfect.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Shazam making $560K on Tuesday.. seems low? I'm not a BO expert but what happened? This is a really good movie. Lack of spectacle or marvel hype? Shazam is so much better than Suicide Squad, imo.

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status...01821216399365

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Superman had better portrayals past that first season .
    Ehh, he got better but was still kind of underwhelming outside of the odd episode here and there.

He was better in his own show, but even there the lack of passion compared to the early Batman stuff could really be felt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Well of course Black Canary has more hashtags. She was litterally in Injustice 2, just announced in the past few months for BOP, and was a reoccuring Arrowverse character.

My point was that Hawkgirl is a far more requested character to join the League than Black Canary is. She is up there with Martian Manhunter and Green Lantern. Not taking anything away from Dinah, but it's just something I've observed whenever the topic arises. The comic side of things have done Hawkgirl (and John Stewart/Martian Manhunter) so wrong the past decade.
    K. This is all pointless. I'm out.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Shazam making $560K on Tuesday.. seems low? I'm not a BO expert but what happened? This is a really good movie. Lack of spectacle or marvel hype? Shazam is so much better than Suicide Squad, imo.

It probably wasn't what the teens want today and nothing to do with quality. As it is, it easily made a profit for WB, so that's good for more films.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

Suicide Squad managed to make as much money as it did despite being a total piece of garbage because of the newness of the DCEU, Harley's pop culture presence, and the marketing of a new Joker. Shazam is hurt by timing of release (between two Marvel films, including the biggest movie of all time), the damage to the DC brand overtime (despite Aquaman's success), and the lack of a major star to make up for the relatively unknown nature of the character.