Page 228 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1281782182242252262272282292302312322382783287281228 ... LastLast
Results 3,406 to 3,420 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I can't speak for reactions at the time (I'm only 21 happy belated birthday to me) but most of those comedians make fun of that version. People have to get their material from somewhere.
    This is the first place I ever saw jokes about Aquaman from Super Friends. I used to read the heck out of this site in my earliest days on the internet. (They look like the same page but they're not.)

http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/old/super.htm
    http://www.seanbaby.com/super.htm
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 05-02-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I like Aquaman but while watching some Superfriends on DC Universe and in the episode the case of the stolen powers from the last season considered the more serious story wise of the show a yacht is being stolen by Penguin who has Felix Faust powers and Aquaman literally jumps into the air misses falls to the water and gets caught in a net. It seriously was like something out of Family Guy comedians used Aquaman as a punching bag but it was DC who special delivered that bag to them.
    From the site I linked to above...

"FAVORITE SCENE: The Eternal **** Up
    No matter how he's travelling, whether it be on a giant seahorse, on two leashed flying fish, or on his custom "A" jet ski, you're going to laugh. But Aqua Man's finest performance was when he was trying to put out an mid-ocean oil fire. He cleverly called a group of whales to splash it out with a wave, but accidentally flooded the entire Western Hemisphere. The coolest part is that this was all an elaborate plan by the Legion of Doom to cause the flood. They counted on him doing something that stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I like Aquaman but while watching some Superfriends on DC Universe and in the episode the case of the stolen powers from the last season considered the more serious story wise of the show a yacht is being stolen by Penguin who has Felix Faust powers and Aquaman literally jumps into the air misses falls to the water and gets caught in a net. It seriously was like something out of Family Guy comedians used Aquaman as a punching bag but it was DC who special delivered that bag to them.
    Aquaman sucks in Super-friends. Aquaman the character is great but he is the worst in Superfriends and that's why he was made fun of for years.
    Yep. All the super friends were pretty Silly... but Anyone who makes fun of Aquaman… was completely RIGHT. Every joke was completely justified. They just couldn't find a way to make him interesting or even useful in that show. There have been a lot of media trying to correct it... but I honestly feel they've done a little TOO much overcorrecting. Nothing feels more lame to me than having a bunch of people tell me just how Awesomely AWESOME this AWESOME character is!! The beard, the armor, the hook, they've tried too much to make him HYPER cool and it feels REALLY forced and not actually the Aquaman I DO like anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    This is the first place I ever saw jokes about Aquaman from Super Friends. I used to read the heck out of this site in my earliest days on the internet. (They look like the same page but they're not.)

http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/old/super.htm
    http://www.seanbaby.com/super.htm

Man... I loved that site. His Hawkman was golden!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Aquaman sucks in Super-friends. Aquaman the character is great but he is the worst in Superfriends and that's why he was made fun of for years.
    Again, the ridicule began almost exclusively in this century, not the last one. Within the context of '70s/'80s Saturday-morning cartoons, my generation did not think he looked any more stupid than the others.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Again, the ridicule began almost exclusively in this century, not the last one. Within the context of '70s/'80s Saturday-morning cartoons, my generation did not think he looked any more stupid than the others.
    I agree. Kids growing up with Superfriends (me) never talked about how stupid Aquaman was because they were all stupid sometimes in that show. We were used to it also watching Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones and silly shows like that.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

PETER SAFRAN & HENRY GAYDEN TALK SHAZAM!, BLACK ADAM AND FUTURE OF THE DCEU: https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/pet...re-of-the-dceu

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    PETER SAFRAN & HENRY GAYDEN TALK SHAZAM!, BLACK ADAM AND FUTURE OF THE DCEU: https://www.joblo.com/movie-news/pet...re-of-the-dceu
    Really good interview. I especially liked the part about the release dates. Safran is absolutely right, these movies need to take their time. Worrying about meeting deadlines and making movies for release dates is a recipe for disaster as DC and WB have experienced many times before.

I saw Endgame and all I can say is that it would be so epic to see the spoilers:
    entire JL unite to do battle against a powerful enemy.
    end of spoilers Also it'd be epic to see Wonder Woman spoilers:
    leading the likes of Hawkgirl, Mera, Vixen, Zatanna, Jessica Cruz, Black Canary, Katana, Huntress and Big Barda into battle, the way Captain Marvel did with the females of End Game.
    end of spoilers
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

So, I just saw Darkseid in JL 23, and of course he is in Odyssey and I really like what DC is currently doing with him, and it got me wondering. And in re-reading issue 6 of JLO (where he allies with heroes to save the Multiverse because he says that he's nothing without peoples to worship him), I just realized that Darkseid could still be used without being a blatant Thanos-ripoff in the movies, nor a uni-dimensional cliche evil bad guy for the sake of evil. All it would take would be for him to seek out the Anti-Life Equation because he feels he has the innate right to rule everyone and him presenting him like a good thing.

It would need some liberties with the comics material of course (Apokolips couldn't be so obviously evil-looking for instance), but Darkseid could be that terrible foe proving (apparently) that free-will need to be extinguished for the Universe to survive : no more war, no more pollution, no more poverty nor inequalities. Everyone's alive, and -because ignorance is bliss, everyone's happy. It could be incredibly creepy and rather deeply politically charged without being too in your face if done well.

And yes, I want to see Darkseid in movies and I don't want him to be a forgettable evil CGI dude.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Didn't say it started in your generation, just that the ridicule CAME from Superfriends. I grew up with reruns these shows as well. Hell I grew up with everything from flesher serials to the DCAU to Burton films and everything in-between. This whole idea of Aquaman being made fun of ties back into the idea of other media trumping the source material (comics).

Around the DCAU was when I remember Aquaman starting to get some love but it more of a cult following. I wasn't big on Entourage but the big running joke in that show was the main characters making an Aquaman movie. That show was pretty big, then you had Family Guy, Robot Chicken, South Park, the Simpsons, etc. feeding that same idea that Aquaman was a joke. Even Justice League was kinda bad for Aquaman, after that movie people I knew whenever they talked about the movie would just say "My man" over and over rather than talk about that dumpster fire. But now most of that has changed since the Aquaman solo movie. It took a few decades but Aquaman is now viewed in a more positive light.

Public perception of superheroes are defined by the other media. Which absolutely sucks. The comic market is too niche and does nothing in the long run for the comic companies. They only reach maybe 100,000 people at best for a single book or 10,000 or less at worst. Meanwhile something like Endgame is crushing box office records left and right worldwide reaching pretty much everyone.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I think comicbooks are still relevant for one reason: to provide ideas and stories for the characters and their universes. Often times it goes the other way too, the other media give comicbooks ideas to work with.

The problem is the comic book industry gains absolutely nothing from the success of superhero movies or TV shows. Public perception means little when these hundreds of millions of people who went to see Endgame will not go buy an Avengers comic afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    The problem is the comic book industry gains absolutely nothing from the success of superhero movies or TV shows. Public perception means little when these hundreds of millions of people who went to see Endgame will not go buy an Avengers comic afterwards.
    The industry is making itself irrelevant, constant reboots, revamps, character deaths, pushing characters out, etc. Consistency isn't something you can get from comics. Marvel cracked the formula at worst you have stuff like Thor the Dark World that is a bit eh but still fun to watch. There is a consistency to these movies that keep people coming back for more. Comics don't have that right now, I feel that people read more for creators rather than ongoing stories of *insert character*. The higher ups at WB and Disney know that these characters and properties carry more weight as IP's for films. Why gamble on comics that in comparison to box office , no one reads comics and therefor no money is to be made? DC and Marvel make little effort for synergy between movies and comics. Outside of an Arrow or movie ad on the cover of the book or maybe a slight roster change.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    So, I just saw Darkseid in JL 23, and of course he is in Odyssey and I really like what DC is currently doing with him, and it got me wondering. And in re-reading issue 6 of JLO (where he allies with heroes to save the Multiverse because he says that he's nothing without peoples to worship him), I just realized that Darkseid could still be used without being a blatant Thanos-ripoff in the movies, nor a uni-dimensional cliche evil bad guy for the sake of evil. All it would take would be for him to seek out the Anti-Life Equation because he feels he has the innate right to rule everyone and him presenting him like a good thing.

It would need some liberties with the comics material of course (Apokolips couldn't be so obviously evil-looking for instance), but Darkseid could be that terrible foe proving (apparently) that free-will need to be extinguished for the Universe to survive : no more war, no more pollution, no more poverty nor inequalities. Everyone's alive, and -because ignorance is bliss, everyone's happy. It could be incredibly creepy and rather deeply politically charged without being too in your face if done well.

And yes, I want to see Darkseid in movies and I don't want him to be a forgettable evil CGI dude.
    I don't think that approach would require changing Darkseid or Apokolips too much, just emphasizing different aspects of them.
    The industry is making itself irrelevant, constant reboots, revamps, character deaths, pushing characters out, etc. Consistency isn't something you can get from comics. Marvel cracked the formula at worst you have stuff like Thor the Dark World that is a bit eh but still fun to watch. There is a consistency to these movies that keep people coming back for more. Comics don't have that right now, I feel that people read more for creators rather than ongoing stories of *insert character*. The higher ups at WB and Disney know that these characters and properties carry more weight as IP's for films. Why gamble on comics that in comparison to box office , no one reads comics and therefor no money is to be made? DC and Marvel make little effort for synergy between movies and comics. Outside of an Arrow or movie ad on the cover of the book or maybe a slight roster change.
    Marvel definitely makes more efforts for synergy then DC does, for better or worse, especially since it generally doesn't have much of an impact on sales.