Page 252 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1522022422482492502512522532542552562623023527521252 ... LastLast
Results 3,766 to 3,780 of 20948
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Okay, but if you use the diverse characters already established, they most likely will replace a white character (which is more than okay by me, BTW).
    Who did Black Panther replace?

Who did Luke Cage, Static & Black Lightning replace to get their tv shows.

Legends of Tomorrow showcased a Firestorm that is NOT in comics. That was not Jason Rusch.

How about have scripts with POC already in them?
    One of the issues we keep seeing is POC get excluded or marginalized in material.

Isn't Ron Clark's in-law in the comics? Lana's husband and father of her child?
    Didn't Perry White have a black son?

Spider-Man did not have this issue because Robbie Robertson and his family are active in Peter's life and in almost every media. Even in the current comic-you saw Randy.

while taking an original POC IP that's not known worldwide is seen as a huge risk by studios.
    Corrected it for you.

Still not seeing the problem. DC's highest grossing movie stars a white character turned PoC and everything's fine.
    The issue is it's still NOT an original POC. All you did was take the EASY way out for that movie or tv show.
    YOU limit development of your established POC and make it EASIER to excuse the lack of use.

Lets take your black heroes at the Big two.
    How many have their OWN stuff?
    Black Panther, Night Thrasher, Black Lightning, Luke Cage & Static do not need anyone's rogues to have rivals or stories.

You see what Black Panther has done. That billion dollar film, high selling trades, 3 Oscar wins, folks going NUTS and dressing for the Prom to see the film and for the FIRST time you saw a black character with his own stuff as merchandise sold in ALL STORES. That does NOT happen if someone said "hey lets make Cyclops or Gambit or Hawkeye-black."

Big Barda black?? Don't we have Black Racer & Shilo Norman? Who are already black? Use them. Shilo actually hung around Scott in the books and was Mr Miracle too.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    someone mentioned that WB want the Supergirl movie to compete with the MCU and Captain Marvel as leads of their respective universes... :l
    "Hey look, we have our own OP blonde girl, too!"

Even after all their screw-ups, WB still hasn't learned that trying to compete with Marvel won't get them anywhere. Truly pathetic.
    Last edited by Johnny; 05-31-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    "Hey look, we have our own OP blonde girl, too!"

Even after all their screw-ups, WB still hasn't learned that trying to compete with Marvel won't get them anywhere. Truly pathetic.
    Funnily enough, they both have civilian identities that end in "Danvers" .

Although ironically they do have a lot in common:

- Red and blue color schemes

- Blonde

- Powerhouses in their own right

About the only thing I'd say is that they're personalities couldn't be farther apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Spider-Man did not have this issue because Robbie Robertson and his family are active in Peter's life and in almost every media. Even in the current comic-you saw Randy.
    Not as much these days. It's a shame how underutilized the Robertsons are .

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

If this is true just throw everything away at this point like wtf. This is embarrassing. I see this as being true because how are they going to explain a younger Batman? Also WB doesn't seem interested in making a cohesive universe.

MK1.jpg

mk2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    If this is true just throw everything away at this point like wtf. This is embarrassing. I see this as being true because how are they going to explain a younger Batman? Also WB doesn't seem interested in making a cohesive universe.

MK1.jpg

mk2.jpg
    I wasn't expecting Pattinson to be a prequel to Affleck's Batman but the "new DCEU" stuff just sounds like a headache waiting to happen.

The one thing DC shouldn't have borrowed from their comics is the convoluted and mess of continuity .

Zero faith in them doing right by Kara.

Where was all this passion for original al poc characters when Cyborg's movie got cancelled? All I saw was people practically throwing a parade when that happened. Victor, whatever else you can say about him, had the requirements for getting a movie but that hasn't stopped the numerous cries of "put him back with the Titans" and "we want Martian Manhunter" any time they put him in something that isn't the Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Deadshot was portrayed by Will Smith for the sole purpose of having Will Smith in the movie. Originally Shia Labeouf was in talks to play Deadshot, when Smith joined the cast the script was altered to give that character more of a leading role. Again, they had the role basically locked down with a storyline set in place before Smith came along. But he isn't the only one. There was a pretty major reaction to the Suicide Squad casting; the top cast were either big or rising names from disparate areas. Will Smith, Leto, Davis, Margot Robbie, and Tom Hardy initially in the role of Rick Flag. Suicide Squad itself (the film) was a cash grab concept. I have doubts there were internal discussions about changing characters' races prior to that film going into production. It was all about cutting the check. Things like that, with characters who are not A-listers (AKA guaranteed money makers in any era of history) , will always happen, because there will be some person in charge looking over characters in a script and surmising that a higher percentage of people will not care if the character's ethnicity or background goes through a change, either to guarantee representation of some kind or to cut a check.

However, stuff like making Batman black is different, because that character is universally-known and timeless; there would be fear that an overwhelming amount of people would be against that idea. A situation where a studio will say "F it, this character is ____ now" for whatever reason, knowing full well it will make headlines, is a cop out to me. Regardless, in both examples there is no actual desire to have representation for a certain race or background, it's just for money and the attention. Representation would be elevating the lesser-known (and yes, existing) characters attached to the property and giving them the same kind of treatment of any other superhero character. Studios have no desire whatsoever to do this because they know it would take work to elevate the brand of a character like Amazing Man or Midnighter. There is no "that character can't hold up a solo comic/TV show/movie" argument anymore because we've seen that all it takes is creators behind it who care.
    Who is this person? Does this person have any credibility?

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Who did Black Panther replace?

Who did Luke Cage, Static & Black Lightning replace to get their tv shows.

Legends of Tomorrow showcased a Firestorm that is NOT in comics. That was not Jason Rusch.

How about have scripts with POC already in them?
    One of the issues we keep seeing is POC get excluded or marginalized in material.

Isn't Ron Clark's in-law in the comics? Lana's husband and father of her child?
    Didn't Perry White have a black son?

Corrected it for you.

The issue is it's still NOT an original POC. All you did was take the EASY way out for that movie or tv show.
    YOU limit development of your established POC and make it EASIER to excuse the lack of use.

Lets take your black heroes at the Big two.
    How many have their OWN stuff?
    Black Panther, Night Thrasher, Black Lightning, Luke Cage & Static do not need anyone's rogues to have rivals or stories.

You see what Black Panther has done. That billion dollar film, high selling trades, 3 Oscar wins, folks going NUTS and dressing for the Prom to see the film and for the FIRST time you saw a black character with his own stuff as merchandise sold in ALL STORES. That does NOT happen if someone said "hey lets make Cyclops or Gambit or Hawkeye-black."

Big Barda black?? Don't we have Black Racer & Shilo Norman? Who are already black? Use them. Shilo actually hung around Scott in the books and was Mr Miracle too.
    The people who made Aquaman a billion dollar hit don't care that he's white in the comics. Just as how fans of the MCU don't care that Nick Fury was originally a white guy. Whether it is original poc or racebent versions, representation is representation. The people who matter, the people whose money the studio wants, don't care about the comics.

As for it being the easy way out, ha! Anna Diop, Idris Elba and Candace Patton, just to name a few examples would love tp hear that one.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post

MK1.jpg

mk2.jpg
    I'm sorry, isn't this what people wanted? What's the issue here?

Jeezus they’re going ahead with the Supergirl movie. Doing a Supergirl movie without Superman or probably glossing over his role as much as possible. Freaking unbelievable. WB continues to prove they really don’t like or get Superman. I’m sure they enjoy the merchandise revenue but that’s about it. Was hoping they were done being reactionary but I guess Captain Marvel’s billion dollar box office was too tempting. It’s so frustrating since doing a proper MOS sequel or even a reboot would be a great way to introduce Kara and do a Supergirl spin-off from there. It could be 20 years or so before we get another Superman solo film. I’m done. I have no real excitement for superhero movies if Superman is going to be treated so poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I mean, I wanted Pattinson's Batman to be his own thing but I'm not confident at all in WB implementing a "new DCEU."

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's a damn headache. So does this mean that the DCEU will no longer have a Batman? And if not why would you set yourself up for competition between two versions? Will the DCEU version get a movie? It's just dumb.

Astonishing Member

Eh....at this point I don’t think the DCEU really cares about continuity anymore.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I really don't care about continuity. They had a tight interwoven continuity with the first few films and it didn't help anything. Nobody thought Suicide Squad was a good movie because Batman shows up to punch Harley Quinn in the face. Focusing on the standalones isn't a bad idea.