Page 255 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 1552052452512522532542552562572582592653053557551255 ... LastLast
Results 3,811 to 3,825 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    They offered Superman to James Gunn and he chose Suicide Squad.
    Nobody wants to touch Superman! ��
    McQuarrie was open but WB didn’t want him to. WB doesn’t want to do anything with the character right now.

I can see why, when I look at it from WB's perspective. The last time there was a Superman movie that was widely loved and popular was Superman II, and that came out way the hell back in 1980. They tried an expensive, nostalgic love letter to those movies with Superman Returns and a lot of people didn't like it, so then they tried a more modern, action-packed reboot with Man of Steel, only for a lot of people to not like that either. Now, in both cases there were obvious problems that led to that (Superman Returns was way too boring, and even the director later admitted there needed to be more action to keep the audience's interest, while MOS badly misjudged what people want out of a Superman movie and had a lot of issues with getting the audience to care about Clark), but I can see why the studio would start thinking it's the fault of the character.

It's not, of course. It's the fault of the creative teams and scripts the studio chose. But big corporations aren't good at nuance. They just see they spent Avengers-level money on MOS and BVS but didn't get Avengers-level returns, so clearly that must be because people don't care about Superman anymore.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

What a mess.

What's disingenuous to me about it is that WB thinks the fault is with Superman yet they feel like they can now just make a Supergirl movie and act like Superman is the problem.

I mean, I love Kara, but a Supergirl movie will basically be a Superman movie give or take a bit more of a Feminist/"Girl Power" edge like with the TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What's disingenuous to me about it is that WB thinks the fault is with Superman yet they feel like they can now just make a Supergirl movie and act like Superman is the problem.

I mean, I love Kara, but a Supergirl movie will basically be a Superman movie give or take a bit more of a Feminist/"Girl Power" edge like with the TV show.
    And that seems to be why they think Supergirl will be an easier sell than Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    And that seems to be why they think Supergirl will be an easier sell than Superman.
    Which is funny since the version of Superman that was on that show was getting pretty good praise.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Unconnected stories and a shared universe are separate things. Arrow, Flash, Legends, and Supergirl all are in a shared universe but have their own various unconnected storylines in each show. & the quotes you quoted confirms that's what they wanted connected characters but unconnected stories.
    Yep, so no contingency for a shared universe whatsoever, sometimes characters or storylines would be connected to something else. Exactly

Fantastic Member

Can I just ask; who cares? Separate movies, connected movies, separate movies that they decide to connect later...who cares? Why is it not okay for them to just try to produce good movies with the DC label?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    Can I just ask; who cares? Separate movies, connected movies, separate movies that they decide to connect later...who cares? Why is it not okay for them to just try to produce good movies with the DC label?
    Because I want to see the DC heroes interact with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    They offered Superman to James Gunn and he chose Suicide Squad.
    Nobody wants to touch Superman! ��
    All that proves is that James Gunn thought Suicide Squad would be a better fit for him than Superman. Given that he is a life-long fan of Ostrander's Suicide Squad run and seems to like to work with groups of morally ambigious characters down on their lives, I can certainly understand his choice.
    Last edited by kjn; 06-02-2019 at 01:22 AM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Retired

If you look at the calendar, it's actually been longer since there's been a solo Batman movie than there's been a solo Superman movie. So while Batman movies appear to be more successful than Superman movies, WB hasn't shown much faith in the Dark Knight either. For a long time they were talking about making a Batgirl movie, but you don't hear much talk about that anymore and the Batman movie is heating up again. So it's just as possible that all the talk about a Supergirl movie will get replaced with talk about a Superman movie again.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I don't. I just want to see good movies with DC characters. They showed what they're capable of as far as DC heroes interacting is concerned, I'm not ready to trust them with that again for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If you look at the calendar, it's actually been longer since there's been a solo Batman movie than there's been a solo Superman movie. So while Batman movies appear to be more successful than Superman movies, WB hasn't shown much faith in the Dark Knight either. For a long time they were talking about making a Batgirl movie, but you don't hear much talk about that anymore and the Batman movie is heating up again. So it's just as possible that all the talk about a Supergirl movie will get replaced with talk about a Superman movie again.
    There's been talk about a Batman movie since 2015 when it was announced Ben Affleck was working on one.
    https://deadline.com/2015/07/ben-aff...on-1201472921/

It's not the same situation. It's been pushed back and had a director (and now actor) change, but WB has had their eye on that ball for four years now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    I agree, people in this thread are just discovering that info for the first time and treating it like it's new. it was always part of WB's plans for DC

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    You still can? It's just not like Marvel where all the movies are building up this immense storyline and saga. It's just individual adventures featuring different characters

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't. I just want to see good movies with DC characters. They showed what they're capable of as far as DC heroes interacting is concerned, I'm not ready to trust them with that again for a good while.
    "DC heroes interacting" is just people interacting. That doesn't make sense