Page 32 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642821325321032 ... LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I just hope the BoP are established already and not created by Harley. Oh I would hate that.

Retired

I never read that much of BIRDS OF PREY, except early on when the concept was first launched--and I did watch the short-lived TV show. But one thing I always found weird was the name. There aren't many bird characters--just Black Canary and later Lady Blackhawk. And a canary is not a bird of prey. Plus it doesn't seem super-feminist to call women birds. Might as well call them Chicks that Hunt. Why would this title have any meaning for the average movie goer? Gotham City Sirens might not be more liberated as a title but it makes clear the connection to Batman's world. DC is overestimating the knowledge-base of their audience, I think.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Plus it doesn't seem super-feminist to call women birds. Might as well call them Chicks that Hunt.
    Hindsight being 20/20, it's entirely in character for Chuck Dixon to come up with the name.

To be fair, Birds of Prey does sound dramatic and has a bit of glamour to it. So as a team name, I'm fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromberg View Post
    What does DC care? They have made it clear numerous times, through editorial decisions in the comics (constantly retconning the things people did to make Dinah a solid, stand out character) and the complete disrespect she's been shown in the Arrowverse that they just don't care about the character.
    I guess because the movie is Birds or Prey they are sort of obligated to use Black Canary no matter what they think of the character. They are already deviating from the comic books by substituting Harley Quinn for Batgirl.
    If they used someone other than Black Canary that would only leave Huntress as a founding team member.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Who is also technically Canary #3 (or 4 if you count Evelyn) .

Y'know, whatever my misgivings, I don't think this movie can screw up Black Canary any more then Arrow did.
    Maybe the movie version will surprise us an actually be a good character. Harley Quinn wasn't too bad and Wonder Woman was pretty good, so WB movies can do good female characters. It's the men they screw up.

I never read that much of BIRDS OF PREY, except early on when the concept was first launched--and I did watch the short-lived TV show. But one thing I always found weird was the name. There aren't many bird characters--just Black Canary and later Lady Blackhawk. And a canary is not a bird of prey. Plus it doesn't seem super-feminist to call women birds. Might as well call them Chicks that Hunt. Why would this title have any meaning for the average movie goer? Gotham City Sirens might not be more liberated as a title but it makes clear the connection to Batman's world. DC is overestimating the knowledge-base of their audience, I think.
    In the comic books there was Batgirl. Not technically avian, but a bat is a flying creature. And there are enough people that don't know the difference. Some people even think bats are rodents.
    Eagles, falcons, and hawks are called birds of prey so that is probably what inspired the name. And in a lot of animals it is the females that do the majority of hunting. Humans are sort of weird
    in that traditionally it is the males that hunt to provide for their families.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Sure but how long did that take to actually show up? Plus they seem to be hiding the transformations with quick cuts.
    It's literally in his first solo promo.....

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    It's literally in his first solo promo.....
    Which was posted 3 days ago and the promotion cycle for this show started a little over 3 months ago. Seems like a long time to just now show a transformation.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    To be fair, Birds of Prey does sound dramatic and has a bit of glamour to it. So as a team name, I'm fine with it.
    Just as long as movie-goers are forewarned there will be no Klingon war ships on the horizon.

Just as long as movie-goers are forewarned there will be no Klingon war ships on the horizon.
    reHSuvruptlhInganSuvwI'.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I guess because the movie is Birds or Prey they are sort of obligated to use Black Canary no matter what they think of the character. They are already deviating from the comic books by substituting Harley Quinn for Batgirl.
    If they used someone other than Black Canary that would only leave Huntress as a founding team member.
    Harley ISN'T replacing Batgirl. It's already been stated that Dinah is the leader of the team and Harley is a wild card being thrown in.
    Huntress ISN'T a founding member of the BoP. Only Barbara and Dinah are.

Fantastic Member

There is nothing inherently sexist or demeaning about the name Birds of Prey. It's cool and theatrical sounding, birds of prey are considered threatening and formidable.
    Sure, Black Canary was initially the only "bird" in it, but it wasn't intended to be anything other than a cool sounding, threatening title.

Imo I think Huntress and Black Canary are gonna wind up being like Colossus and NTW were in the deadpool movies
    Nice foils but not the stars
    I mean you can't expect to see a real origin story for any of these characters at that

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Imo I think Huntress and Black Canary are gonna wind up being like Colossus and NTW were in the deadpool movies
    Nice foils but not the stars
    I mean you can't expect to see a real origin story for any of these characters at that
    I mean, if it's meant more as an ensemble piece then a solo movie, I think we're probably going to get some good background and character focus in the movie for those involved.

Like, they kind of have to address Helena's origin as a daughter of a mafioso who got killed because that informs who she is as Huntress.

Granted, Dinah's origin isn't really as well-defined so they can kind of go wherever they want there.

Fantastic Member

Default E

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Which was posted 3 days ago and the promotion cycle for this show started a little over 3 months ago. Seems like a long time to just now show a transformation.
    LMAO, we only got to see individual character videos three days ago. This your first time following a tv show from its conception? Don’t worry I’ll walk you through this.

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    LMAO, we only got to see individual character videos three days ago. This your first time following a tv show from its conception? Don’t worry I’ll walk you through this.
    Okay please explain to me the glory that is the Titans marketing strategy.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics