Page 320 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2202703103163173183193203213223233243303704208201320 ... LastLast
Results 4,786 to 4,800 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Sure, there are. But, expecting something that fits mainstream image is not inconceivable . For example, wanting a superman to smile while saving the day in the main universe is not bad. Snyder didn't do it. He didn't give a chance for cavill's charisma to shine through. Now, we might not even get a superman period.

I mean, i would love for clark to do a rescue having a smile like all might, here. And it would fit any version of the character. It wouldn't matter if its golden age, silverage, new52.. Etc.

Joker is different beast. It is not marketed as a main universe movie. But, a standalone elseworlds which can be expanded upon by the creatives later on. Bop is said to be main universe movie. These are supposed to be live action counter parts of comics characters. It's just like how i wouldn't want a comicbook or similar superman in Darknight trilogy because it wouldn't fit realistic world nolan created. I wouldn't want bale batman as mainuniverse of the character. It is pretty sad that main bop we are getting is so radically different.
    It was so awesome seeing aquaman in his costume.It even reminded me of 90s/dcau aquaman except for the harpoon hand. It was freaking fantastic. I would like more of that in the main universe. Not, whatever this is.
    Snyder's Superman smiles when rescuing a little girl in Mexico. Anyone who thinks we won't have another Superman is naive.

The main audience doesn't give a damn about what the regular BoP roster in the comics. Just like they didn't care that Antman and Wasp are founding Avengers or that Nick Fury was originally white. The Birds of Prey tv show had a lot in common with the comics and no one is going to tell me that was a good adaptation just because Oracle, Huntress and Black Canary were in it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The tone, style, and visuals just seem more GCS. It feels seedier, darker, and a little Paul Dini irreverent.

The ladies aside from Montoya seem much more morally ambiguous.

No Oracle.

And...Harley.

That's kind of the bare minimum though, and they don't even have Oracle in it.

Does that really seem like something WB will do going by how they are approaching this movie and the material? It's like expecting Pattinson's Batman to fight Joaquin Phoenix's Joker.

I assume Harley will stick around enough to make this a franchise if it's successful. Is she even confirmed for Gunn's Suicide Squad? I don't think she's ever been officially confirmed to come back.

The times they were members were also generally not well-regarded BoP periods.
    What you just described are both the Dixon and Simone runs sans Harley. And with Azzarello’s new run, even that point is mute lol.

The way I see it, when it comes to BoP, once they cured Barbara, all bets regarding the roster were off save keeping Canary. Oracle/Canary were the foundation the BoP were established on, not Batgirl/Canary, a difference that is much larger than it seems as it changes the whole dynamic. No Oracle, and Barbara Gordon becomes replaceable on the team with any other costumed lady.

The movie features Black Canary AND Huntress, so it is more "traditional BoP" than even something like the New 52 reboot (which featured only Canary from the original trio and even she had an enigmatic past with a twist). Later on when they shoehorned Batgirl into the book, I think it actually did more harm than good to the title as it didn't let the new team stand by itself. So it's fine that the movie (and the upcoming Azzarello series) seem to be avoiding including her at all.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 09-01-2019 at 02:55 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Snyder's Superman smiles when rescuing a little girl in Mexico. Anyone who thinks we won't have another Superman is naive.

The main audience doesn't give a damn about what the regular BoP roster in the comics. Just like they didn't care that Antman and Wasp are founding Avengers or that Nick Fury was originally white. The Birds of Prey tv show had a lot in common with the comics and no one is going to tell me that was a good adaptation just because Oracle, Huntress and Black Canary were in it.
    Yeah! I am supposed get a microscope and find that smile of a split second.there isn't a superman movie in active development. I don't think we will get one till next decade. Am i talking about the main audiences? I am merely speaking for myself. As for nick fury, he was still a one eyed badass sheild agent. That is more important. Race bending sometimes works. This was one of those times. Ulitmate universe nick was introduced in comics alot earlier.It worked organically and Everything just fit.

As for antman and wasp, being part of founding avengers. I would have loved that too. But didn't happen due to behind scenes reason i believe. Wasn't the antman movie in development as far as back as iron man movies?But still, they acknowledged the old antman and wasp used to exist as part of a team that was kind of a precursor to avengers initiative, If i remember correctly.

Superman fans talking about Superman drought as if we didn't just get TWO excellent Superman animated films in the past 13 months. There are other character fanbases who are way more underserved. Also, what's "organic" and "inorganic" racebending?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Superman fans talking about Superman drought as if we didn't just get TWO excellent Superman animated films in the past 13 months. There are other character fanbases who are way more underserved. Also, what's "organic" and "inorganic" racebending?
    This version of the character being introduced in the mcu. The first iron man post credit with the whole "part of bigger universe" thing. It also doesn't hurt that freaking sam Jackson was playing the character whose look ultimate universe nick fury takes from.
    And as for the animated movie, it was great. But, death of superman umpteenth time isn't much of a treat.it doesn't solve superman's mainstream appeal problem nor the ip's live action problem . It isn't even thst good to warrant such frequent revisit.But,atleast we are getting new movies for superman coming years that actually matters. I am very thankful that the death had enough of good sales. I am look forward to the origin movie. Hopefully, it is an adaptation of birthright, new52 or secret origins.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-01-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Retired

With all these reviews of JOKER already coming out, I'm wondering how so many American reviewers were able to get to Venice to see the movie. That's the only place it's played so far, right?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It's not surprising at all that Superman fans are primarily concerned with...Superman related content, is it? Why would they be talking about other characters and fanbases when it isn't their chief concern? That's doesn't mean it isn't a concern of theirs at all. Plenty of Superman fans who are pissed about the current DCEU situation still acknowledge that it took Wonder Woman way too long to even get one movie, and are happy she has it and a sequel coming up. Same with Aqauman and Shazam. They're just not their favorite character and they are actually doing better currently, so why bring it up?

Also, an animated film, no matter how good, is not a big deal compared to a big budget live action film and everyone knows it. As good as they films may have been, they are yet more adaptations of DOS, a story beaten to death as much as Superman himself and just re-emphasizes that the only story WB knows how to tell is killing him over and over again.

Nobody is crying for Batgirl to be in Birds of Prey in fact going by the new 52 her inclusion has pretty much tanked the franchise a great deal. Now Oracle or a stand in for Oracle like Coach that is a legit concern but other than that you can only do so much when Reeves has control of most of the Batman characters right now.

BOP
    The suicide Squad
    CGS
    BOP vs GCS

That's the current slate for the Harley Quinn movies
    Assuming Reeves Batman is a complete reboot in its own universe then that frees up Batgirl and Catwoman
    Last edited by Nite-Wing; 09-01-2019 at 06:51 AM.

Also, Harley was in a PG-13 Suicide Squad, will now appear in the R-rated BOP and then will appear in presumably a PG-13 Suicide Squad sequel again. Don't see why Black Canary and co. can't make the jump to PG-13 and more kid-friendly DC movies as well.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Gunn aims for an R with Suicide Squad. Especially if he's going for more of an Ostrander vibe.
    Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    What you just described are both the Dixon and Simone runs sans Harley. And with Azzarello’s new run, even that point is mute lol.
    I don't see it. No Oracle, the trio dynamic is gone, no espionage/subterfuge, no Superhero costumes, the Birds being more out-and-out good guys...heck, Harley was in Simone's run, she just got taken out in one punch .

Azzarello's new run is everything I was worried about when I found out about the roster and tone of this movie.
    The way I see it, when it comes to BoP, once they cured Barbara, all bets regarding the roster were off save keeping Canary. Oracle/Canary were the foundation the BoP were established on, not Batgirl/Canary, a difference that is much larger than it seems as it changes the whole dynamic. No Oracle, and Barbara Gordon becomes replaceable on the team with any other costumed lady.
    I feel like it's very disrespectful to Barbara Gordon to say she can easily be replaced by any other costumed lady (especially if we're using Harley of all people). I mean, this is her team we're talking about.

I don't think Batgirl works as well on the Birds as Oracle does but I think it's a disservice to her character to just say she's that replaceable.
    The movie features Black Canary AND Huntress, so it is more "traditional BoP" than even something like the New 52 reboot (which featured only Canary from the original trio and even she had an enigmatic past with a twist). Later on when they shoehorned Batgirl into the book, I think it actually did more harm than good to the title as it didn't let the new team stand by itself. So it's fine that the movie (and the upcoming Azzarello series) seem to be avoiding including her at all.
    It makes the group feel entirely different in my opinion. Especially with the creative liberties they seem to be taking with the membership, especially Huntress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Nobody is crying for Batgirl to be in Birds of Prey in fact going by the new 52 her inclusion has pretty much tanked the franchise a great deal. Now Oracle or a stand in for Oracle like Coach that is a legit concern but other than that you can only do so much when Reeves has control of most of the Batman characters right now.

BOP
    The suicide Squad
    CGS
    BOP vs GCS

That's the current slate for the Harley Quinn movies
    Assuming Reeves Batman is a complete reboot in its own universe then that frees up Batgirl and Catwoman
    Does WB even care about creative/character control at this point? There's no hard continuity anymore.

I doubt anything Harley does is going to impact what Reeves does with his Batman movies. I don't see Robert Pattinson fighting Margot Robbie anytime soon even though their films both take place in Gotham.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I wasn't asked the question.
    True, but you did choose to weigh in. Would you care to answer?

spoilers:
    Don't know if this counts as a spoiler but some of the Joker reviews are saying that the movie leaves things pretty open-ended in regards to whether it is a standalone or whether it is part of the DC cinematic universe.

Some of them are even hinting it goes out of its way to set up some larger universe elements.
    end of spoilers
    Ewwwwwwwww! I hope it's not true! Especially for Pattinson's Batman.

I can see why so many Superman fans are upset. We're basically in the golden age of the comic book movie right now, and the guy who started it all back in the 70s hasn't had a movie that can be generally agreed upon as a complete success in decades. But it'll happen. It may take a while, but eventually there'll be a Superman movie that wins people over in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I can see why so many Superman fans are upset. We're basically in the golden age of the comic book movie right now, and the guy who started it all back in the 70s hasn't had a movie that can be generally agreed upon as a complete success in decades. But it'll happen. It may take a while, but eventually there'll be a Superman movie that wins people over in a big way.
    I’m annoyed but we do have two animated movies coming next year, so I’m not that annoyed. I also want a reboot so I’m perfectly ok with waiting if it means they’re going to jettison Snyderman and start over. I expect we will get Superman news after Reeves Batman though, if the next string of films all do well WB is going to want to try JL again. But yeah I don’t blame people for complaining especially when Ezra has been basically throwing a tantrum over the Flash and WB is still willing to keep him around and indulge him. Hyped as hell for WW1984 and Aquaman/Shazam 2! Hope Blue Beetle does get a movie but I’m not holding my breath with the way things are shaking up.

What I REALLY want is a Terrifics movie lmao. Beat Marvel to the punch DC!
    Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Ewwwwwwwww! I hope it's not true! Especially for Pattinson's Batman.
    Phoenix does not do sequels and he sure as hell is not doing a cinematic universe. He turned down Dr. Strange for that exact reason and that was the MCU. I would not be surprised if Joker has Easter egg references but that’s all they are imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I know we'll eventually see another Superman movie again but I really hope WB doesn't go through with trying to replace him cinematically with Supergirl.

And I love Supergirl.