Page 332 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2322823223283293303313323333343353363423824328321332 ... LastLast
Results 4,966 to 4,980 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    What do you mean by real? She's a lego character.
    Haha, I meant if the character's hair was her real color or a wig. If it's not a wig, then she dyed her hair. Black people have blackish hair, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Here is a side by side comparison of the Lego forms of comic book Barbara and lego batman Barbara.

The lego movie version does have a noticeably darker skin tone. Her tone almost perfectly resembles Dawson actually.

Its true that her race isn't actually stated in the film and she isn't as dark as someone like cyborg, but modern American media tends to ignore other peoples. If this were an Canadian or UK production then she might Indian, but having an African American supporting character is pretty much required for any American production.
    In this pic, she does look darker.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ealed-1237684?

Joker has won the Golden Lion award at the Venice Film Festival, joining illustrious company like Roma and The Shape of Water.
    This is a really big deal and likely shocked the attendees. Venice is the oldest of the Big Three festivals, the others being Cannes and Berlin, and American films have only won a handful of times. For an American supervillain origin story to win is extraordinary and unprecedented. But it’s also possible that winning at Venice means the film won’t be well received in the US, not least by superhero fans. I guess we’ll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    There are other rumours also suggesting that Matt Reeves' The Batman may cast a "woman of color" for Selina Kyle.

Personally I hope they don't just limit it to a black or mixed-with-black actress. While I have no problem with that, there are a whole slew of women of different ethnicities I'd love to see take a crack at it.

- Eiza González (Mexican)
    - Ana de Armas (Cuban-Spanish)
    - Priyanka Chopra (Indian)
    - Sofia Boutella (Algerian-French)
    - Gemma Chan (Chinese)
    - Sonoya Mizuno (Japanese)
    - Vanessa Hudgens (Native American, Filipino, Irish)
    - Gugu Mbatha Raw (South African)
    - Nathalie Emmanuel (Saint Lucian-Dominican)
    - Diane Guerrero (Colombian)
    - Julia Jones (Native American-African American)

...will all be great choices if you ask me. And hasn't Selina been part Cuban in the comics before?
    Legit or not, it's funny how they think this is even newsworthy. This character was played by a "woman of color" 50 years ago. Then by another "woman of color" 15 years ago. She's been black in animation before and biracial in the comics. Catwoman is the last character anyone would be surprised to see being played by a "woman of color", but they need those clicks.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-07-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Legit or not, it's funny how they think this is even newsworthy. This character was played by a "woman of color" 50 years ago. Then by another "woman of color" 15 years ago. She's been black in animation before and biracial in the comics. Catwoman is the last character anyone would be surprised to see being played by a "woman of color", but they need those clicks.
    God, was that movie really 15 years ago? Starting to feel old now.

She's black in the current Superhero Girls tv show

She will be black in the Harley Quinn cartoon as well. It does start to feel like a concentrated effort to consistently portray the character as black in outside media, but it's amusing to see those click baiters think it's something newsworthy, despite that it's been happening for decades.
    Last edited by Johnny; 09-08-2019 at 03:17 AM.

She will be black in the Harley Quinn cartoon as well. It does start to feel like a concentrated effort to consistently portray the character as black in outside media, but it's amusing to see those click baiters think it's something newsworthy, despite that it's been happening for decades.
    That's not confirmed besides the fact that she'll be played by a black actress, though probably safe to assume.

Retired

For the 1966 BATMAN TV show, I prefer to assume there are two Catwomen--the Julie Newmar Catwoman and the Eartha Kitt Catwoman. The characters are so different from each other that it makes more sense to differentiate them and accept that two of them were at large in Gotham City. Of course, there were other characters like Riddler and Mister Freeze that were played by different actors, so I'm not sure how far I want to carry this. And then there's the Lee Meriwether Catwoman in BATMAN: THE MOVIE (1966).

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    There are other rumours also suggesting that Matt Reeves' The Batman may cast a "woman of color" for Selina Kyle.

Personally I hope they don't just limit it to a black or mixed-with-black actress. While I have no problem with that, there are a whole slew of women of different ethnicities I'd love to see take a crack at it.

- Eiza González (Mexican)
    - Ana de Armas (Cuban-Spanish)
    - Priyanka Chopra (Indian)
    - Sofia Boutella (Algerian-French)
    - Gemma Chan (Chinese)
    - Sonoya Mizuno (Japanese)
    - Vanessa Hudgens (Native American, Filipino, Irish)
    - Gugu Mbatha Raw (South African)
    - Nathalie Emmanuel (Saint Lucian-Dominican)
    - Diane Guerrero (Colombian)
    - Julia Jones (Native American-African American)

...will all be great choices if you ask me. And hasn't Selina been part Cuban in the comics before?
    I was hoping Vanessa Kirby was gonna be cast as Catwoman. Oh well, hope who ever they pick is good.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Fan casting-wise, Ana de Armas is definitely my No.1 pick for "woman of color" Selina. Plus she's Cuban just like Selina is in some cases.

Zendaya is not playing Mary Jane though, "Michelle Jones" is an original character created for the MCU. I think of her like the different versions of Catwoman we've seen over the years. While if Gordon has a daughter it's obviously going to be Barbara. It's ironic that people with red hair are a rather rare sight, so they're basically erasing minority representation by repeatedly changing characters like that. lol
    Or maybe they can't find good looking redheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yes studios take influence from each other but not all the time. And in this case we are talking about something (racebending) that WB was doing with their characters long before the MCU even existed. Hell, we just had a conversation in this very thread about Black Canary being played by a black woman.

If a black Barbara Gordon shows up in the movies, the MCU would have had nothing to do with it. Believe it or not, WB is actually capable of coming up with ideas on their own.
    It should also be noted that we've had a popular non-white Batgirl before. Cassandra is making her debut in Birds of Prey.

Retired

Ben Affleck not withstanding, there's no excuse for red-headed characters not to be red-headed when portrayed on screen. You don't have to look for a red-headed person to play them--they can just wear a wig or dye their hair. I don't think the red-headed league is going to come after actors who are not natural red-heads if they pass as red-heads in a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Or maybe they can't find good looking redheads.
    That's...an odd statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    It should also be noted that we've had a popular non-white Batgirl before. Cassandra is making her debut in Birds of Prey.
    Although the likelihood of her becoming Batgirl seems pretty slim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Ben Affleck not withstanding, there's no excuse for red-headed characters not to be red-headed when portrayed on screen. You don't have to look for a red-headed person to play them--they can just wear a wig or dye their hair. I don't think the red-headed league is going to come after actors who are not natural red-heads if they pass as red-heads in a show.
    Heck, most redheaded celebrities aren't natural redheads...

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Post movie-
    Shuri got a solo, tv special, Halloween costume, valentines, 2 action figures (one VERY expensive one) & a YA novel by a New York Times best seller. That will have NO trouble selling.
    What has Cyborg gotten? NOTHING. THAT IS THE ISSUE WITH DC. It's not just him.
    Shuri got a tv special? When? Where?

Cyborg is in Teen Titans Go! (which got a theatrical movie!), Young Justice, live action Doom Patrol, and many of the animated DTV movies - both the main PG13 line up and the Lego series. To say DC/WB isn't doing anything with Cyborg is wrong. He is well represented in animation currently, and a bit in live action recently too.