Page 364 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2643143543603613623633643653663673683744144648641364 ... LastLast
Results 5,446 to 5,460 of 20948

SS couldn't make up it's mind about it's tone or aesthetic...

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    SS couldn't make up it's mind about it's tone or aesthetic...
    The entire dceu/wb can't make up its mind on anything, really.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    This movie is just not impressing me at all.
    I don't think the movie is leaving a great impression on the general audience. Two days in and the youtube views are barely 9Million from the WB Pictures. Joker generated much more views as did Aquaman.

Fantastic Member

Aquaman and Joker did not generate those views over 2 days.... And Youtube alone is not a good indicator of general audience.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    Aquaman and Joker did not generate those views over 2 days.... And Youtube alone is not a good indicator of general audience.
    No I meant in comparison to two days both Joker and Aquaman got much more views in the same span.

Regardless of everything else in BoP I’m still super excited about the action sequences knowing that Chad Stahelski is involved. In John Wick 3 we saw Sofia utilize her dogs as part of her arsenal. I’m really looking forward to seeing how Harley uses the “Babies” in a fight scene.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Just saw Joker. I don't put any outright spoilers in my review here, but I thought I'd hide it for anyone trying to go in relatively blind.

spoilers:
    8/10

There's a lot to digest and I had mixed feelings throughout, but ultimately it was a solid satisfying well-shot story about a man descending into violent madness, which is what was advertised. I was a little bit concerned that the film was too eager to abandon its comic book roots, but it didn't shy away from existing in Gotham and acknowledging central events, characters, and themes. There are multiple "political" angles you could view the movie from, and they're interesting to dissect, but it's more a character study than a societal statement. My main criticism of the movie would be that some of the early attempts to invoke pity feel contrived, and that you can find yourself rooting for him for a lot of the movie, which in my view kind of takes it a step too far in "humanizing" him and does a disservice to the evil of the character. But at the same time, you're not seeing the Joker for most of the film, you're seeing the man who becomes him through a gradual evolution. In the end a lot of what makes him tick is narcissism, and they capture that extremely well. I didn't think the film outright promoted dangerous ideas, but some who have concerns that the film celebrates vengeful violence may have a point.

In any case, definitely worth seeing. This is one I'll have to think about more, watch again, and talk with people about to get a more solid idea of what the movie means to me and what it says about #society. I expect some people to go overboard and call it a masterpiece because of Joaquin Pheonix's acting; it wasn't that for me. But it was a damn interesting and entertaining movie that took risks. Can't ask for much more than that.
    end of spoilers

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ross61 View Post
    The tone and aesthetic of SS was not the problem. And unless you're severely sheltered the aesthetic isn't exclusive to SS.
    No one said this aesthetic was exclusive to SS. The fact that the BoP have their own unique and iconic costume but instead they're bogged down with the hot topic design of SS is dumb.

And the tone was very much a problem with SS because it couldn't decide what type if movie it wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe they'll start a fashion line out of it...
    I think Hot Topic already has that market covered

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Just saw Joker. I don't put any outright spoilers in my review here, but I thought I'd hide it for anyone trying to go in relatively blind.

spoilers:
    8/10

There's a lot to digest and I had mixed feelings throughout, but ultimately it was a solid satisfying well-shot story about a man descending into violent madness, which is what was advertised. I was a little bit concerned that the film was too eager to abandon its comic book roots, but it didn't shy away from existing in Gotham and acknowledging central events, characters, and themes. There are multiple "political" angles you could view the movie from, and they're interesting to dissect, but it's more a character study than a societal statement. My main criticism of the movie would be that some of the early attempts to invoke pity feel contrived, and that you can find yourself rooting for him for a lot of the movie, which in my view kind of takes it a step too far in "humanizing" him and does a disservice to the evil of the character. But at the same time, you're not seeing the Joker for most of the film, you're seeing the man who becomes him through a gradual evolution. In the end a lot of what makes him tick is narcissism, and they capture that extremely well. I didn't think the film outright promoted dangerous ideas, but some who have concerns that the film celebrates vengeful violence may have a point.

In any case, definitely worth seeing. This is one I'll have to think about more, watch again, and talk with people about to get a more solid idea of what the movie means to me and what it says about #society. I expect some people to go overboard and call it a masterpiece because of Joaquin Pheonix's acting; it wasn't that for me. But it was a damn interesting and entertaining movie that took risks. Can't ask for much more than that.
    end of spoilers
    Interesting. Is it a real DC movie, though?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Interesting. Is it a real DC movie, though?
    It’s not the most DC-feeling movie, but there’s enough there in the story that I’d say it qualifies. Others might disagree.

It’s not the most DC-feeling movie, but there’s enough there in the story that I’d say it qualifies. Others might disagree.
    Does it have the DC logo somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Does it have the DC logo somewhere?
    Oh yes. At the start. And in closing credits "Based on Characters by DC Comics"

Astonishing Member

The Joker has just set the October Thursday preview record beating Venom. https://deadline.com/2019/10/joker-b...nd-1202752002/

Great stuff for a DC movie. I hope this doesn't start a slew of tortured and bullied villain origin stories. I can see origin movies for Luthor, Penguin, Kraven, and Doctor Doom(before Disney purchased the rights to the character). Sony is definitely happy with the results of the Joker. Sinister Six origin movies here we come!

Oh yes. At the start. And in closing credits "Based on Characters by DC Comics"
    cool, thanks