Page 393 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 2933433833893903913923933943953963974034434938931393 ... LastLast
Results 5,881 to 5,895 of 20948
    BANNED

How you feel about them is irrelevant, how they were received by the general public is what matters and the general public likes them pretty well.

This is a comic book forum, should we stop expressing our opinions just because "the general public" may feel differently?
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-29-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bloxer View Post
    How you feel about them is irrelevant, how they were received by the general public is what matters and the general public likes them pretty well.
    I'd say that all three of them failed to become significative works of pop culture the way Marvel movies did. Especially outside the United States.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

FWIW, I'm from Greece and Aquaman and Wonder Woman were very popular here. Both made good bank in Europe, as well as China.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-29-2019 at 07:12 AM.

The Marvel movies didn’t become pop culture juggernauts until Avengers. Before that they did alright but not spectacular box office wise. Aquaman managed to make a billion, he was huge in China, I think he’s well on his way to being a pop culture icon. If the sequel has a better script I’m sure he can meet or surpass the first movie’s total.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    FWIW, I'm from Greece and Aquaman and Wonder Woman were very popular here. Both made good bank in Europe, as well as China.
    I am from Europe too. I don't see anyone ever bringing up Wonder Woman here, quite frankly. The only significantly popular works of superhero movies were the Avengers.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The Avenegers, both collectively and individually, have been in far more movies than the three successes of DC (WW, Aquaman and Shazam). And they certainly didn't get there right away.

Seems a bit premature to say any of the others, especially Aquaman, won't get there and that WB can only rely on Batman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Seems a bit premature to say any of the others, especially Aquaman, won't get there and that WB can only rely on Batman.
    I never said that they won't get there (even if, personally speaking, I strongly doubt that they will ever be able to do so, mostly because I don't think that there is much space left for them to become universal icons when Disney monopolizes everything). They simply haven't got there with their recent movies. Batman is already there and it has been there for decades, maybe since Burton and certainly since Nolan.

BANNED

This is comic book forum, should we stop expressing our opinions just because "the general public" may feel differently?
    Well that's not anywhere near what I said, but whatever.

This is comic book forum, should we stop expressing our opinions just because "the general public" may feel differently?
    If the general publics cash is whats keeping the forum going and your theoretical job then yes, I'd tell you to stop expressing your opinion.

Like the head of DCs movie division could very well hate Batman, but he's not going to badmouth him in an official capacity because he brings his company (and thus him) money.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    If the general publics cash is whats keeping the forum going and your theoretical job then yes, I'd tell you to stop expressing your opinion.

Like the head of DCs movie division could very well hate Batman, but he's not going to badmouth him in an official capacity because he brings his company (and thus him) money.
    Are you trying to be funny? If so, you're not doing a great job. The comment I responded to literally stated that an opinion about the aforementioned movies is irrelevant in case it doesn't happen to agree with the general public's opinion of them. This is a forum visited by people who are part of a niche audience, so by that logic are we allowed to say anything about those movies if it doesn't go along with the opinions of people who supposedly matter more than us? Guess I should not express my opinion that Iron Man 3 is a bad movie because it made 1.2 billion worldwide.
    Last edited by Johnny; 10-29-2019 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I'd say that all three of them failed to become significative works of pop culture the way Marvel movies did. Especially outside the United States.
    They don't really need to. They just need to be successful franchises/hits going forward. Aquaman is DC's highest grossing movie ever. I don't think WB is upset because it didn't enter 'pop culture' the way Batman or the Avengers have.

They aren't making movies for the goal of becoming significant parts of pop culture. The best part of Wonder Woman and Aquaman being big hits while BvS under performed is WB finally knowing they don't and can't rely solely on Batman.

Have you seen the Flash movie, or any real development on that front in the latest years?
    Exactly.
    Seems like a lot of it's production is happening behind the scenes with all the turnover with writers/directors and how that conflicts with Ezra Miller.

I mean, they're on...what, their fourth or fifth director by this point?
    I never said that they won't get there (even if, personally speaking, I strongly doubt that they will ever be able to do so, mostly because I don't think that there is much space left for them to become universal icons when Disney monopolizes everything). They simply haven't got there with their recent movies. Batman is already there and it has been there for decades, maybe since Burton and certainly since Nolan.
    I think Wonder Woman definitely entered pretty deeply into pop culture, and Shazam seems set to be a cult classic for my money.

Aquaman
    I think is going to grow bigger overtime.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    They don't really need to. They just need to be successful franchises/hits going forward. Aquaman is DC's highest grossing movie ever.
    Unadjusted for inflation, that is. Still, point taken.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Unadjusted for inflation, that is. Still, point taken.
    Inflation is such a voltaile factor that I usually just go unadjusted but sure it might be less than TDK or Superman: The Movie.

Either way my point is it out-grossed a movie starring Batman and Superman in leading roles and the entire Justice League