Page 437 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 337387427433434435436437438439440441447487537937 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,555 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    There would probably be some race changes since the Legion is majority white. I doubt they’d use Bendis Legion anymore than Gunn used Bendis GOTG. They’d use the iconic stories, the Giffen Legion, Silver Age Legion, maybe some of Johns Legion as well.
    I know, that was just a visual reference.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm not so upset with "race bending" the Legion (am I the only one who finds that a weird term?), since for me I don't consider all the offworld Legionnaires to be what we culturally define as a race. They can look different, for the most part, and if it saves on the budget not to do weird make-up and prosthetics, then that's okay, too. My problem with the look of the current facsimile of the comic book Legion is something completely different. It's change for the sake of change, since a lot of characters that are the same skin colour as they were before are nevertheless made to look different. But don't get me started, because I could pick out each one of them and go off on what I hate about their new look--and you don't want that.
    I think Legion of Superheroes animated series has the right concept: take elements of different Legions (Threeboot, Geoff Johns, Silver Age, Zero Hour, Bendis, etc) and combine that and use it to reflect current mediaolitics, etc and what is modern in the DC Universe be it DCAU, Zack Snyder DC films, Smallville, etc

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    I think Legion of Superheroes animated series has the right concept: take elements of different Legions (Threeboot, Geoff Johns, Silver Age, Zero Hour, Bendis, etc) and combine that and use it to reflect current mediaolitics, etc and what is modern in the DC Universe be it DCAU, Zack Snyder DC films, Smallville, etc
    I'd love something like the cartoon Legion in terms of mixing things up, but I always say that .

Legion can get away with race-bending because they exist in a future where humans no longer have any societal splits involving races, so changing someone's race won't really affect their character or how they're treated in the same way that, say, Batman being black would alter the character in a modern worldview.

I at least hope they won't go for a black Lightning Lad like Bendis went with. If you're going to race-bend Garth, don't go for the obvious.

What is it with black guys having electrical powers anyways?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    From my understanding, it's supposed to come from the black people don't swim stereotype, but I've never seen it specifically studied.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    From my understanding, it's supposed to come from the black people don't swim stereotype, but I've never seen it specifically studied.
    I also heard something about the electricity looking good as a contrast to their skin color, visually speaking, as another reason. Just seems like a cliche now.

I also heard something about the electricity looking good as a contrast to their skin color, visually speaking, as another reason. Just seems like a cliche now.
    Kind of goes hand in hand with the tropes of Asians usually being expert martial artists or Latinos having pyrokinesis as a default power set.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

It's not like black men are the only DC characters with electrical powers though. Leslie Willis gained electrical powers when she became Livewire.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    It's not like black men are the only DC characters with electrical powers though. Leslie Willis gained electrical powers when she became Livewire.
    No one is saying that only black guys get electrical powers. But it does happen often enough for people to notice. Tv tropes even has an entry on it.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ectricBlackGuy

Once you get past a certain level of notoriety for a character, you can honestly make any number of changes to them since the amount of people who are actually gonna know them well enough to be angry is comparatively small. There was a funny post I saw early this year around Comic-Con that was someone saying they couldn't wait for people to suddenly pretend to give a **** about Marvel's Sersi so they can feign outrage about her being played by an Asian woman in the MCU, even though the overwhelming majority of those people probably didn't actually care about the character prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No one is saying that only black guys get electrical powers. But it does happen often enough for people to notice. Tv tropes even has an entry on it.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ectricBlackGuy
    Yeah, past Black Lightning it just doesn't feel as necessary for other characters.

I remember when the race-bent of Lightning Lad came out people were wondering if they were retconning him into some kind of Black Lightning descendant.

I guess there's Static too.

Retired

I don't mind Garth having a different skin colour. I can just assume that was always the colour but the transmission from the 30th century didn't come in clear--or there's some visualization fad in the future that allows you to keep changing your look.

But if he has brown skin-tone, then likely so would Ayla and Mekt. Changing one character has a domino effect on all the other characters related to him.

Forget lightning-themed characters - what's with redhead's getting turned black?

(You'd think some of them get turned Asian, at least.)