Page 441 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 341391431437438439440441442443444445451491541941 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,615 of 20948
    BANNED

Literally, nothing about this movie makes it look better
    I wouldn't even consider pirating this

I don't want to be too judgmental but I really couldn't care less about BoP. I felt like I probably even had more interest in Dark Phoenix as compared to BoP and I still haven't seen that one. Unless this movie gets some spectacular feedback, I don't plan to even entertain the idea to go see it.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Birds of Prey is going to be very interesting. It's currently projecting to open between $40-$60 million DOM opening weekend. Not terrible, certainly far from great, though.
    There's been some interesting statements made about it in that Cathy Yan is really putting her flair on this movie and that it's supposedly very fun and even crazier.

Personally, it's the first DCEU movie that I probably won't make it to opening weekend. I'm going to be very cautious with this, even though I firmly believe we should support these properties (the more money they make, the better they're received, the more we get). I think it'll be a great date night type of film.

Retired

Yeah, most DC movies I go on the preview night or the opening day and I try to avoid the reviews until after I've seen the movie. This time, I'll likely watch the reviews first--and if there's something there that piques my interest, then I might go on the Tuesday. Or else give it a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    Birds of Prey is going to be very interesting. It's currently projecting to open between $40-$60 million DOM opening weekend. Not terrible, certainly far from great, though.
    There's been some interesting statements made about it in that Cathy Yan is really putting her flair on this movie and that it's supposedly very fun and even crazier.

Personally, it's the first DCEU movie that I probably won't make it to opening weekend. I'm going to be very cautious with this, even though I firmly believe we should support these properties (the more money they make, the better they're received, the more we get). I think it'll be a great date night type of film.
    On the one hand, I feel like supporting this on the level of a female-led comic book movie with female heroes (and Harley).

On the other hand, I don't feel like supporting a Harley vehicle that has completely hijacked the Birds of Prey franchise.

As a Cassandra Cain fan, I'm almost against not supporting it on principle.

I didn't want to see Joker at all, but then the first reviews came out and it became a film I desperately wanted to see. That was also a film that was initially received tepidly at first as well.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    On the one hand, I feel like supporting this on the level of a female-led comic book movie with female heroes (and Harley).

On the other hand, I don't feel like supporting a Harley vehicle that has completely hijacked the Birds of Prey franchise.

I know, I'm basically feeling the exact same way with all your points in regard to the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I didn't want to see Joker at all, but then the first reviews came out and it became a film I desperately wanted to see. That was also a film that was initially received tepidly at first as well.
    That's a good point.

Ultimate Member

But whose fault is that???

A franchise that had a tv show and close to 200 issues. 200 issues starring an all female team. A book with many females who held solo books before.
    The only other book that is sniffing a long run is Lumberjanes-if you think of them as a team.
    Marvel would KILL for that.

All before Harley showed up. That is DC not having faith in that team. Did they NOT see what Marvel did with Guardians of the Galaxy? It was GOTG not GOTG with Carol Danvers or Black Panther or someone else.

Shoehorning Harley in it is an insult to the others. Because if it fails-HARLEY will not get the blame (no matter how many articles will say it).

All DC sees is all the stuff Harley sells and the cosplay. So she can't be blamed.

I think much like Joker, Birds of Prey would benefit a lot from being a cheaper R-rated movie with a famous protagonist, which is clearly what WB is banking on. I can't see Joker in a million years making the type of dough it did had Arthur Fleck been just some random character.

Now that I think about it, I'm kind of glad that Barbara isn't there, since if she was, she would've been lost in the shuffle like all the rest and now BoP's success or failure wouldn't affect her one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

A franchise that had a tv show and close to 200 issues. 200 issues starring an all female team. A book with many females who held solo books before.
    The only other book that is sniffing a long run is Lumberjanes-if you think of them as a team.

All before Harley showed up. That is DC not having faith in that team. Did they NOT see what Marvel did with Guardians of the Galaxy? It was GOTG not GOTG with Carol Danvers or Black Panther or someone else.

Shoehorning Harley in it is an insult to the others. Because if it fails-HARLEY will not get the blame (no matter how many articles will say it).

All DC sees is all the stuff Harley sells and the cosplay. So she can't be blamed.
    Look at what Marvel turned the Guardians into compared to what WB is doing to the BoP. They were a serious, cosmic, Superhero team in the comics that got turned into a bunch of screw-ups and idiots who come together as a ragtag outlaw gang. Just because they didn't shove a name headliner behind it doesn't make it much better.

Look at what they did to movie Thor.

So...the most I can convict DC/WB of is being creatively hands-off and letting Margot Robbie and the director do whatever they want.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Look at what Marvel turned the Guardians into compared to what WB is doing to the BoP. They were a serious, cosmic, Superhero team in the comics that got turned into a bunch of screw-ups and idiots who come together as a ragtag outlaw gang. Just because they didn't shove a name headliner behind it doesn't make it much better.

So...the most I can convict DC/WB of is being creatively hands-off and letting Margot Robbie and the director do whatever they want.
    And just like GoTG, as long as it is received well by the wider audience, the changes won't matter as much.

I mean I personally am not digging a lot of what we are seeing, particularly as it pertains to Huntress and Cass (I don't even like Cass that much, but man this sounds bad) but WB isn't overly concerned with the diehard fans as much as the wider audience. And honestly, that is where their concern should be.

And like you say, the MCU has done stuff like this before. Including with the GoTG, who didn't much resemble their comic selves up to that point.

BANNED

I'm trying to see the comparison here.
    Doesn't really work as far as I'm concerned, GOTG and Thor despite being comedic were made by people who clearly liked the characters and the comics and decided they didn't need to completely adhere to the comics.
    Whereas this is nothing more than a vehicle for Harley
    Not the same thing

Margot Robbie was the one who insisted on the Birds of Prey being in this movie. We wouldn't be having them on screen if not for her. Not only is the idea that this is being made by people who don't like the characters baseless* but it is provably untrue.

*Whether or not a person likes a character or story they are adapting is completely irrelevant anyway. These people are being paid money to make movies. They are doing a job which is hard enough already without fans getting on their case for petty crap like this.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

I wouldn't list the Birds of Prey t.v. show as a source of pride for the franchise. That show was the t.v. equivalent of the Elektra or Halle Berry Catwoman movie and had far less in common with the source material than what we've seen of the film so far.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-28-2019 at 12:29 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Margot Robbie was the one who insisted on the Birds of Prey being in this movie. We wouldn't be having them on screen if not for her. Not only is the idea that this is being made by people who don't like the characters baseless* but it is provably untrue.

*Whether or not a person likes a character or story they are adapting is completely irrelevant anyway. These people are being paid money to make movies. They are doing a job which is hard enough already without fans getting on their case for petty crap like this.
    This is same as not having them on screen for many. I can see mcu comparison. Personally, i didn't like the second or third movies. Onky like infinity war portrayal and the first movie.but,it's like by people. I can't fault them for that. But, i would hate for thor and gotg being turned permanently into that. But, i guess they have and will continue. I hate the comics-movie syncing nonsense.

It isn't irrelevant. If a person knows the ip and can bring them to mass audience in a way without loss its base fans then that is more better. This is not only doesn't have bop character iterations that's remotely familiar, but also feels like harley and sidekicks. It might not be, but it does look that way. I am not excited for this one. Its a shame, I was really hoping for seeing black canary and huntress.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    This is same as not having them on screen for many. I can see mcu comparison. Personally, i didn't like the second or third movies. Onky like infinity war portrayal and the first movie.but,it's like by people. I can't fault them for that. But, i would hate for thor and gotg being turned permanently into that. But, i guess they have and will continue. I hate the comics-movie syncing nonsense.
    Well DC does very little of that compared to Marvel so I don't think BoP fans have anything to worry about.

It isn't irrelevant. If a person knows the ip and can bring them to mass audience in a way without loss its base fans then that is more better. This is not only doesn't have bop character iterations that's remotely familiar, but also feels like harley and sidekicks. It might not be, but it does look that way. I am not excited for this one. Its a shame, I was really hoping for seeing black canary and huntress.
    There is no adaptation of a comic property by the big 2 that hasn't pissed off its core fan base to some extent. Even the MCU isn't immune to this going by the number of complaints about the film versions of Thor and the Guardians. Making a successful adaptation has nothing to do with liking the source material.