Page 48 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258981485481048 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Clicked on link, saw Grace Randolph, exited immediately.
    Does anybody have any idea how reliable she is as a source?
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

If the timeline is changed in 1984, then there's a new timeline for Wonder Woman going forward and she never experienced the events in BATMAN V SUPERMAN and JUSTICE LEAGUE--something like those stories might have happened but not in the same way with the same versions of Superman and Batman. Diana wouldn't know any different.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Nightwing still happening but we have to wait says the Director.

https://www.cbr.com/nightwing-movie-still-lives/

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Still can't wrap my head around how a partial reboot would work. WW or whoever returns to the timeline and goes "Bruce...you're the same, except...you look a bit different...".
    I think if they want to reboot, then they should just reboot...but they don't want to lose Gal Gadot & Margot Robbie, so they won't do that. A "soft reboot" makes no sense.

If they really want to move forward & ignore what's already come, then the simplest way is to recast the actors who are out, and then simply don't reference what happened before. When you have Superman & Batman cross paths, just don't reference BvS. If you want to put the League back together, then just do it and have them interact from the start without referencing Justice League. Simple as that. It seems to me that the only reason to soft-reboot the DCEU would be for someone who wants to tell "first meet up" stories again, and honestly I'm good with not seeing those anymore. And if they want to do those, then they should toss everything and reboot from scratch. Rebooting and keeping the same actors is how you end up with Ghost Rider 2 lol

If they really want a younger Batman, then cast one. If you have to explain in-story the deaging (which, if you just don't reference the other stuff then you don't need to explain anything), then cast a younger guy, gray him up, and have him fall in a Lazarus pit in the first 5 minutes. But honestly, you don't have to even do that. Just recast and move forward.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I think if they want to reboot, then they should just reboot...but they don't want to lose Gal Gadot & Margot Robbie, so they won't do that. A "soft reboot" makes no sense.

If they really want to move forward & ignore what's already come, then the simplest way is to recast the actors who are out, and then simply don't reference what happened before. When you have Superman & Batman cross paths, just don't reference BvS. If you want to put the League back together, then just do it and have them interact from the start without referencing Justice League. Simple as that. It seems to me that the only reason to soft-reboot the DCEU would be for someone who wants to tell "first meet up" stories again, and honestly I'm good with not seeing those anymore. And if they want to do those, then they should toss everything and reboot from scratch. Rebooting and keeping the same actors is how you end up with Ghost Rider 2 lol

If they really want a younger Batman, then cast one. If you have to explain in-story the deaging (which, if you just don't reference the other stuff then you don't need to explain anything), then cast a younger guy, gray him up, and have him fall in a Lazarus pit in the first 5 minutes. But honestly, you don't have to even do that. Just recast and move forward.
    Yeah, I agree. The only way to soft reboot is not explain anything at all. We don't need to re-tell first meetings to justify different faces on the actors. The franchise left off in a place where nothing in the past needs to be referenced too explicitly.

Retired

Usually with sequels that came out three or more years later, there was a long period of negotiation and preproduction before they finally got started on the sequel. With WONDER WOMAN, there was pressure right away to get Patty Jenkins to sign up for another picture and then when she did, there was a push to go into production as soon as possible. So it's not like those other movies where they took their time before going ahead with a sequel.

Given that Jenkins had so much power--and still does until one of the other DC movies can show the same result--it would seem like she would have some guarantees that she can make the movie she wants to make. I can't see WB coming in and taking over her movie. I would guess that she's been given some concessions to get her onside with the delay and the reshoots.

The question is what could WB offer her to get Patty Jenkins to go along with this scheme? Is she going to have more creative control over the other DC movies going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Yeah, I agree. The only way to soft reboot is not explain anything at all. We don't need to re-tell first meetings to justify different faces on the actors. The franchise left off in a place where nothing in the past needs to be referenced too explicitly.
    Yep. What a lot of viewers forget I think, or at least didn't notice, is even though the stories told so far haven't been liked for the most part (with exception to WW), they do have a solid world in place. I think it's easy to miss among all of the divisiveness, but it's there. Superman is established & happy, Batman is patrolling Gotham, the JL have all met and there is light after the dark. So going forward, just make new stories that don't necessarily contradict what's come before, but doesn't reference them either. Take the established world and ready-set-go.

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Yep. What a lot of viewers forget I think, or at least didn't notice, is even though the stories told so far haven't been liked for the most part (with exception to WW), they do have a solid world in place. I think it's easy to miss among all of the divisiveness, but it's there. Superman is established & happy, Batman is patrolling Gotham, the JL have all met and there is light after the dark. So going forward, just make new stories that don't necessarily contradict what's come before, but doesn't reference them either. Take the established world and ready-set-go.
    I'm not sure I agree. First, from the viewpoint of a long-time science fiction and fantasy reader, most superhero comic worlds are rather hodge-podges and hot messes, and that's true for the DCEU as well. You have all sorts of mythology mixed with space aliens and super technology with little sense or purpose.

Second, relatively few people are interested in world building or world exploration in and of itself. Even the great masterpieces of world-building like Middle-Earth or Earthsea depend on being explored by compelling and interesting characters.

Third, even more than literary fiction, movies are a medium which depends on characters and story. And right now, the only character that the DCEU has managed to make people care about is Wonder Woman. That's the first thing that the new movies need to do: make us care about the characters, and establish how they would interact with each other in an interesting and dramatic way.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. First, from the viewpoint of a long-time science fiction and fantasy reader, most superhero comic worlds are rather hodge-podges and hot messes, and that's true for the DCEU as well. You have all sorts of mythology mixed with space aliens and super technology with little sense or purpose.

Second, relatively few people are interested in world building or world exploration in and of itself. Even the great masterpieces of world-building like Middle-Earth or Earthsea depend on being explored by compelling and interesting characters.

Third, even more than literary fiction, movies are a medium which depends on characters and story. And right now, the only character that the DCEU has managed to make people care about is Wonder Woman. That's the first thing that the new movies need to do: make us care about the characters, and establish how they would interact with each other in an interesting and dramatic way.
    How well they made viewers care about the characters is obviously subjective, as I was made to care a great deal about more characters than just Wonder Woman (though I recognize others don't feel that way). But when I say they built a world that many might have missed, I'm talking about the basics. We don't need another origin for Superman, we have a modern one that works. So you can recast if you want and just run with it. We already know who Diana is, so we can skip that. The JL have already met, so if they ever did a new incarnation you could have them team up in the first 5 minutes and we don't need to see them meet again. Stuff like that.

Getting to know the characters & their individual mythologies better would of course be great, but that's not the "world" I was referring to. I just meant the basic foundation of a DC universe is there now, quality of films aside they did their job in that regard. They don't need to reboot things. You have a base to jump from already.

100% agree.

Other than: Superman was dead, but now alive again, and
    Batman has a dead Robin (name unkown)
    The JLA has met
    ...are there any cold hard facts that have to be protected? Want a new actor to play a part? Great, cast them. No need to apologetically use the first 30 minutes of the movie rehashing past plots. You don't have to explain that Clark was dead for a while just because he shows up. Go forward, not back.

Retired

Of course, they could just recast and change stories as they've been doing for the last forty years. But by using an idea they already have in their toy box, they get to lay claim to that. And Geoff Johns really likes to push his ideas onto every DC project.

If it works, this would make Gal Gadot and Wonder Woman the Robert Downey Jr. and Iron Man of the DC world. So that would give Gadot and Jenkins a lot of power. But I still think it's a big gamble. People loved WONDER WOMAN for a certain vibe that it had--and it's hard to see how the new movie can hope to recapture that feeling when it's going to be saddled with the same problems that weighed down BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE.

I think most DC fans (myself included) hear the words “reshoots”, “delays”, and “changes to the original story” and immediately get a sickening feeling in their stomachs for a very good reason. Please WB, don’t ruin Wonder Woman!

Why can’t they delay and rework the Birds of Prey movie? That one sounds pretty bad already.

I guess this means that Cavill is really gone. Maybe Marvel will cast him as Mr. Fantastic now that they have the FF back. I know people want him to play Captain Britain but Reed is one of the figure heads of the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    100% agree.

Other than: Superman was dead, but now alive again, and
    Batman has a dead Robin (name unkown)
    The JLA has met
    ...are there any cold hard facts that have to be protected? Want a new actor to play a part? Great, cast them. No need to apologetically use the first 30 minutes of the movie rehashing past plots. You don't have to explain that Clark was dead for a while just because he shows up. Go forward, not back.
    Agreed. This sounds kinda pointless. Trying too hard to have an interconnected universe is what got them into trouble in the first place.
    Last edited by Robotman; 10-24-2018 at 04:11 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

I guess this means that Cavill is really gone. Maybe Marvel will cast him as Mr. Fantastic now that they have the FF back. I know people want him to play Captain Britain but Reed is one of the figure heads of the MCU.
    If Disney/Marvel knows what they're doing, they'll get John Krasinski and Emily Blunt to play Reed and Sue. And maybe have Krasinski direct--that would immediately change the sad fortunes for the Fantastic Four.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If Disney/Marvel knows what they're doing, they'll get John Krasinski and Emily Blunt to play Reed and Sue. And maybe have Krasinski direct--that would immediately change the sad fortunes for the Fantastic Four.
    Agreed. I liked Cavill as an actor, but he's not who I picture doing Reed justice. When I heard that the two in A Quiet Place were interested in being the Richards... That got me kind of excited about it

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The problem I have with this rumour is that it would imply that WW84 has to serve two purposes: tell a good Wonder Woman story, and reboot the DCEU. That's tricky to do well, and I believe it'd be far simpler to just declare new actors for Superman and Batman and pretend the earlier movies didn't happen.

(Heck, I wouldn't be averse to them declaring the first Wonder Woman movie to be out of continuity, if they got rid of the daddy!Zeus and treated it as a non-canon origin story.)
    My thoughts exactly.

However, I'm all here for a reboot.