Page 489 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 389439479485486487488489490491492493499539589989 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,335 of 20948
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Not the MCU or movies based on DC characters or DC movies
    Taking off the "all new course corrected" part (not to mention the first "DC" for its redundancy) should do it, I would think.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Taking off the "all new course corrected" part (not to mention the first "DC" for its redundancy) should do it, I would think.
    *hits the imaginary like button*

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    And it does not even need to. People seem to fear that them being connected means all be in the same style and flair probably because most of the MCU movies are that. All they need if a little nod and some respect to the continuity and it could still stand on its own. Its not hard.

The problem are not "the people" that cannot see that it "the right people in the right positions who do not actively work toward a better perception of the DCEU in the eyes of the people" that are the problem. You probably perceived my rant as MCU fanboyism which I like to assure you is not the case. I do watched all but the last of them as I did with the DCEU and in the latter case got the expensive bluray special editions. Up to Shazam I got and saw them all multiple times. I want them to be successful. But with them not even having any assurance of what the state on two thirds of the trinity for years (and thats just the tip of the iceberg) I and apparently a lot of others just have no confidence in them anymore.

And hard no. With BoP they do not only disrespect Black Canary but also Vixen by having a character that looks like Vixen in not just skin color; but also hairstyle during her time she worked with Huntress (oh surprise....) and her iconic yellow/black outfit style. She looks exactly how I could envision a toned down movie take on Vixen (pics below).

From all I saw its a good Harley Quinn movie and a good action movie. But as far as the BoP and Cass Cain characterization goes its a messy disrespectful trainwreck which for me sours the good parts enough to avoid it for now. And it makes me sad because as a DC fan and DCEU proponent I want to love and embrace it.

I'm surprised black comic book fans are not outraged by movie Black Canary stealing an original black female characters look. ... Oh wait; THEY ARE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z39E2chuRSY

I like your enthusiasm. But please come down your high horse. Its not only not helping to blindly ignore the problems; its making things worse.
    That whole Black Canary = Vixen argument is equally laughable, stupid, and offensive.
    You're basically saying all black women are interchangeable, distinguished only by hair styles and tight-fitting clothes as opposed to the merits of the characters.

Let that sink in for a moment inside the whole context of what even if its not a problem to you personally apparently is a problem otherwise this whole discussion would not exist.
    Agent Z is wrong, but for a different reason.
    The skin tone is right on Vixen, but not the Mari McCabe iteration of the character.
    Mari McCabe is dark skinned. Her grandmother, Amaya Jiwe, was the light skinned version depicted in the animated concept art. The animated and live action shows made that distinction. It's not wrong to point it out.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I have to admit I hate the title of this thread and have wanted to change it numerous times, FWIW.
    Ugh. Now I'm sad Snyder's legacy is even more sidelined lol

That said, Worlds of DC concept can work. Think about it. To reintroduce the JL as an IP they can make Elseworlds Batman (in the process already) and Superman (potentially) and when both of their respective universes get stable and beloveed, make a kind of multiversal Crisis level crossover where they'll get the favorites from the current messed up shared universe (WW, Aquaman, Shazam) with alternate Batman and alternate Superman. It will be comicy, unusual and exciting. An event movie that doesn't resemble MCU yet still has all of the event movie magnitude. I'm just thinking out in here...

BANNED

Worlds of DC was never even a concept, it was a banner they used for Comic-Con like a thousand times, and the one year people noticed it, they wanted to pretend it was a new thing despite never being officially confirmed.

And it does not even need to. People seem to fear that them being connected means all be in the same style and flair probably because most of the MCU movies are that. All they need if a little nod and some respect to the continuity and it could still stand on its own. Its not hard.

The problem are not "the people" that cannot see that it "the right people in the right positions who do not actively work toward a better perception of the DCEU in the eyes of the people" that are the problem. You probably perceived my rant as MCU fanboyism which I like to assure you is not the case. I do watched all but the last of them as I did with the DCEU and in the latter case got the expensive bluray special editions. Up to Shazam I got and saw them all multiple times. I want them to be successful. But with them not even having any assurance of what the state on two thirds of the trinity for years (and thats just the tip of the iceberg) I and apparently a lot of others just have no confidence in them anymore.

And hard no. With BoP they do not only disrespect Black Canary but also Vixen by having a character that looks like Vixen in not just skin color; but also hairstyle during her time she worked with Huntress (oh surprise....) and her iconic yellow/black outfit style. She looks exactly how I could envision a toned down movie take on Vixen (pics below).

From all I saw its a good Harley Quinn movie and a good action movie. But as far as the BoP and Cass Cain characterization goes its a messy disrespectful trainwreck which for me sours the good parts enough to avoid it for now. And it makes me sad because as a DC fan and DCEU proponent I want to love and embrace it.

I like your enthusiasm. But please come down your high horse. Its not only not helping to blindly ignore the problems; its making things worse.
    Jeezus what’s far more offensive is that cartoon version of Vixen. At first glance I thought it was Rene Montoya. DC’s most prominent black female superhero who is supposed to hail from a country in Africa and CW portrays her as light skinned as possible. Wouldn’t even have recognized her if it wasn’t for the tantu totem.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Jeezus what’s far more offensive is that cartoon version of Vixen. At first glance I thought it was Rene Montoya. DC’s most prominent black female superhero who is supposed to hail from a country in Africa and CW portrays her as light skinned as possible. Wouldn’t even have recognized her if it wasn’t for the tantu totem.
    Okay, here we go.
    1. That's not the Mari McCabe Vixen. That is Amaya Jiwe, Mari's maternal grandmother.

2. Africans can be light-skinned. My dad and his mother are light-skinned. I have an uncle with light skin and green eyes. All were born in Nigeria, and none of them are racially mixed.

Let that sink in for a moment inside the whole context of what even if its not a problem to you personally apparently is a problem otherwise this whole discussion would not exist.
    The difference is, I'm not pretending that there aren't differences between film Dinah and comic Dinah.

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Okay, here we go.
    1. That's not the Mari McCabe Vixen. That is Amaya Jiwe, Mari's maternal grandmother.
    So @ The Lurk you didn't even use the right character.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-22-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why is a Barbara who can walk more deserving of being put on the big screen than Oracle?
    Why is a Barbara who can't walk more deserving of being put on the big screen than Batgirl? Kind of a loaded question when you ask it like that, so lets not.
    I just like Batgirl more, and seeing Babs literally kicking ass.

You guys try so hard to not get the point I'm not even sure you are for real. You don't need to defend that you like the movie version. You don't need to see or even acknowledge the visual similarities between her and a mashup of various Vixen versions. I actually does not even require me to believe it myself. I did not pointed that out to convince you any anything but to explain what for apparently more than just a handful people is part of that movies problem. You trying to belittle that or even worse pulling the "RACIST!!1!" card is reflective to at least whats partially happening to the BoP movie: People just stop caring. Enough of them that it is (at least last I heard about it) far below BO expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    The title of this thread amuses me.
    It was meant to be tongue in cheek. Though at the time I started the thread, the media was in all earnestness talking about the "course correction" of the DC films and the studio heads were pushing the narrative of a loosely connected "Worlds of DC". Arguably the concept of the shared DC universe has become even more convoluted and murky now with the advent of Matt Reeves' new Batman series and whatever new label they want to categorize Joker and its inevitable successors under. At least Aquaman, Shazam and Birds of Prey all made firm nods to existing in the same old universe as Snyder's vision.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Why is a Barbara who can't walk more deserving of being put on the big screen than Batgirl? Kind of a loaded question when you ask it like that, so lets not.
    I just like Batgirl more, and seeing Babs literally kicking ass.
    They are both equally deserving.

But I'd say that the world needs to see heroes like Oracle far more than it needs to see heroes like Batgirl. There are also far more heroes like Babsgirl around on screen than there are heroes like Oracle.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    It was meant to be tongue in cheek. Though at the time I started the thread, the media was in all earnestness talking about the "course correction" of the DC films and the studio heads were pushing the narrative of a loosely connected "Worlds of DC". Arguably the concept of the shared DC universe has become even more convoluted and murky now with the advent of Matt Reeves' new Batman series and whatever new label they want to categorize Joker and its inevitable successors under. At least Aquaman, Shazam and Birds of Prey all made firm nods to existing in the same old universe as Snyder's vision.
    All right. It just seemed to parallel that media driven narrative that because Snyder is gone now things will be good which flat out annoys me. Still, "course correction" on Warner/DC part to me will always be associated with this counterproductive if not disastrous micromanaging and mandated that hurt the franchise and brand much more than Snyder ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    They are both equally deserving.

But I'd say that the world needs to see heroes like Oracle far more than it needs to see heroes like Batgirl. There are also far more heroes like Babsgirl around on screen than there are heroes like Oracle.
    Yeah, they are both equally deserving, but your point seems to be less "I like Oracle" and more "we need a disabled hero", to which I say why does it have to be Babs, who has many fans who just want to see her having fun and kicking it as Batgirl? Can't someone else be the disabled Oracle type hero?