Page 49 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359991495491049 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'm not sure I agree. First, from the viewpoint of a long-time science fiction and fantasy reader, most superhero comic worlds are rather hodge-podges and hot messes, and that's true for the DCEU as well. You have all sorts of mythology mixed with space aliens and super technology with little sense or purpose.

Second, relatively few people are interested in world building or world exploration in and of itself. Even the great masterpieces of world-building like Middle-Earth or Earthsea depend on being explored by compelling and interesting characters.

Third, even more than literary fiction, movies are a medium which depends on characters and story. And right now, the only character that the DCEU has managed to make people care about is Wonder Woman. That's the first thing that the new movies need to do: make us care about the characters, and establish how they would interact with each other in an interesting and dramatic way.
    I really like Gadots WW and loved her appearances so far and this about equally towards Afflecks Batman. But I do care more about Cavills Superman. To not continue with him would for me be the biggest sign that they keep ignoring the actual problems they have and keep piling on them.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Agreed. I liked Cavill as an actor, but he's not who I picture doing Reed justice. When I heard that the two in A Quiet Place were interested in being the Richards... That got me kind of excited about it
    I agree but I like the idea of Cavill as Captain Britain.

I don't see Patty Jenkins letting Dc meddling too much with her movie. she probably agreed to change a few things for this soft reboot thing, but I think she's in a position to not let the studio impose too much on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I agree but I like the idea of Cavill as Captain Britain.
    Yeah that would be cool. I haven't read TOO much Captain Britain, but I always like him in the guest spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I don't see Patty Jenkins letting Dc meddling too much with her movie. she probably agreed to change a few things for this soft reboot thing, but I think she's in a position to not let the studio impose too much on her.
    Why?

What makes you think she's above studio interference? There aren't really many director's that are... and they usually just start their own production companies.

What makes you think she's above studio interference? There aren't really many director's that are... and they usually just start their own production companies.
    Because Patty Jenkins made the first Wonder Woman on a single-film contract. A lot of commenters mentioned that a sticking point during negotiations for making WW84 probably wasn't money but rather creative freedom.

Besides, think of the PR disaster it would be for WB if they pushed too hard on Jenkins, causing a fallout. WB needs Jenkins a lot more than Jenkins needs WB right now.

Because Patty Jenkins made the first Wonder Woman on a single-film contract. A lot of commenters mentioned that a sticking point during negotiations for making WW84 probably wasn't money but rather creative freedom.

Besides, think of the PR disaster it would be for WB if they pushed too hard on Jenkins, causing a fallout. WB needs Jenkins a lot more than Jenkins needs WB right now.
    That's what I think as well. They know how important she and Gal Gadot were in the success of Wonder Woman. Surely, they want to keep her happy, to make sure she keeps working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    That's what I think as well. They know how important she and Gal Gadot were in the success of Wonder Woman. Surely, they want to keep her happy, to make sure she keeps working for them.
    For a great as she is after Snyder I don't believe they'd give any director too much rope when it might end up hanging them.

I put zero stock in Grace Randolph. This is the lady who keeps saying Cavill is out because he wants too much money, and she says it matter-of-factly, when the truth is we know nothing about it. Cavill COULD be the reason, but we have no facts either way. Yet she pushes the narrative she wants to push.

I will not believe any soft or hard reboot rumors from her until I either see it in the film, or someone from Jenkins camp or WB outright state it. Having said that, after the critical success of WW in a time when DC needs all the success they can get, I highly doubt they will impose much of anything on Jenkins. She has the golden goose, they won't touch that. I honestly think they learned their lesson after Suicide Squad (see WW), Justice League was just a result of trying to fix something rather than interfering. But it was a different situation than outright messing with a singular director's film, ala BvS & SS.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Wasn't she also claiming hours before this Flashpoint rumor that Wonder Woman 1984's delay was a sign WB was afraid of Captain Marvel, despite there being like an eight-month gap between CM and WW84's original date?

I have a feeling that Randolph is one of those film blogger personalities who exaggerate to stir the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilden B. Lade View Post
    Wasn't she also claiming hours before this Flashpoint rumor that Wonder Woman 1984's delay was a sign WB was afraid of Captain Marvel, despite there being like an eight-month gap between CM and WW84's original date?

I have a feeling that Randolph is one of those film blogger personalities who exaggerate to stir the pot.
    Yep, she was saying that too. She's bizarre, and I don't know who her "sources" are for things, but she absolutely loves to stir things up. Check out her vids, and you can see that even she knows most of her words are BS...watch all the fancy overlays and pictures and words flying around the screen as she speaks, these flashy things distract from what's being said a lot of the time.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I doubt it... just imdb-ing her credits... Wonder Woman is literally the ONLY thing of note she's done. Directed 13 items, including a TV movie and a bunch of episodes for various tv series... and a couple 'video shorts'. Considering the grief these companies have given truly big name directors with established money making credentials... I don't see Jenkins having anywhere near the clout that they'd back off and let her do her thing with the only character making money... Even IF she's a big part of why the character is popular right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    For a great as she is after Snyder I don't believe they'd give any director too much rope when it might end up hanging them.
    This.

Every movie from Tim Burton's Batman Returns through Age of Ultron has had directors complaining about how the companies interfere with and force them to make adjustments for time, subplots, or ratings... I certainly don't see Jenkins getting being the one director with complete creative freedom.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The reboot rumor looks like a myth:

https://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-198...umor-debunked/
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

I dunno. I think there's some bad blood between the different vloggers--and certain people want the click bait for themselves.

I don't find Grace Randolph nearly as obnoxious as some of the other vloggers. And I've gotten to know her style well enough that I can parse what she's saying and make up my own mind how much is true and how much is extrapolation from slight information.

This is about 50-50, I think. It's pretty obvious that DC/WB is going to waffle on some of the timeline details around Wonder Woman--and it is going to be a soft reboot. We know that Wonder Woman is much more active than what she was established as being in BATMAN V SUPERMAN. So it's already a soft reboot. By totally denying any kind of reboot the Gonzalez tweet is misleading.

I doubt it... just imdb-ing her credits... Wonder Woman is literally the ONLY thing of note she's done. Directed 13 items, including a TV movie and a bunch of episodes for various tv series... and a couple 'video shorts'. Considering the grief these companies have given truly big name directors with established money making credentials... I don't see Jenkins having anywhere near the clout that they'd back off and let her do her thing with the only character making money... Even IF she's a big part of why the character is popular right now.
    She did direct Charlize Theron to an Oscar in Monstress

But no, Jenkins does not have the "do whatever you want" card; I do eg imagine that WB cleared her treatment first, keeps a close oversight, and so on. But at the same time, WB knows that Jenkins managed to sell Wonder Woman to the general audience and make her more popular than ever, and that the film received plenty of acclaim.

So they can give feedback to Patty Jenkins on WW84, or ask her to do certain things, or put limits on what she can do with the movie, but I can't see them telling her to change the script after it was first finalised. WB needs Jenkins too much in this movie to do so.

My take on it is that if there are creative reasons and changes that contributed to the move, then Jenkins is behind those changes as well.

She did direct Charlize Theron to an Oscar in Monstress

But no, Jenkins does not have the "do whatever you want" card; I do eg imagine that WB cleared her treatment first, keeps a close oversight, and so on. But at the same time, WB knows that Jenkins managed to sell Wonder Woman to the general audience and make her more popular than ever, and that the film received plenty of acclaim.
    Maybe... but WW was commonly cited as the 'best thing about BvS' too. So I'm a little curious if it was Jenkins skill or if it was just 'Woman led superhero movie' that made it inevitable. There was a lot of buzz about it before the solo movie... that just helped cement it. And the movie was excellent. I hope they DO let her have some freedom... I just kind of doubt it.

So they can give feedback to Patty Jenkins on WW84, or ask her to do certain things, or put limits on what she can do with the movie, but I can't see them telling her to change the script after it was first finalised. WB needs Jenkins too much in this movie to do so.

My take on it is that if there are creative reasons and changes that contributed to the move, then Jenkins is behind those changes as well.
    I hope you're right.

Mostly I just hope it's a good movie. WHOEVER it is that makes the changes... I hope they are changes for the better.