Page 496 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 396446486492493494495496497498499500506546596996 ... LastLast
Results 7,426 to 7,440 of 20948
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Batman has a personality, when written well (and Nightwing's personality is kinda bland Spider-Man, imo). And wasn't the James Bond spy thing just one run or so?
    And meh, booty's nothing we haven't seen.
    I love you

Batman can do anything and beat anyone with prep time.. yeah I hate it.

(reposting this from the Green Lantern on HBO Max thread)

https://screenrant.com/green-lantern...ohns-berlanti/

Just went back to something we all missed.

So as it turns out, the famous Green Lantern architect Geoff Johns is going to be partnering with Berlanti to write and produce the Green Lantern series. I take it we can safely bet that Hal and John will be the human leads, and it will also take very heavily from Johns' iconic run on the franchise. To be fair, it wasn't unrealistic to expect it to be that in the first place, as it's been said that this is a cosmic-focused story and Johns' GL run is credited for helping to reestablish the cosmic mythos of DC and certainly for reinvented GL as a whole (whether fans like that or not). Not to mention that was the era of GL's biggest comic book popularity (there's a reason DC tried to start the DCEU with GL, even if the execution was horrible).

The fact that we have "two Earth-based Lanterns and Sinestro", with Johns at the pen, is just short of confirming who we can expect. The idea of using different Lanterns, like Simon and Jessica as Hal/John composites, sounds very unlikely.

I wonder, if they're taking after Johns' run, think we can expect the other Corps and groups? I mean, like the Red, Blue, Star Sapphire, Indigo, Sinestro, and Orange, and of course later with Black and White. Sounds logical, especially if we're going heavy on worldbuilding, to expect it. They just got to make sure not to do too much at once, but let it all flow naturally.

You could also introduce other cosmic factions and worlds to tie everything together, like The Reach (great way to tie into the rumored Blue Beetle series if they go there), the Thanagarians, the Manhunters, Kalandor (introducing Despero), and hell, they could introduce an offshoot of Kryptonian criminals who escaped the planet's destruction and have the Lanterns deal with Zod (something that recently happened in the comics).

Man, just going into how much potential this has gets me excited. We might have a real cosmic superhero epic on our hands, if they get it right. That's before you consider the idea of starting a new universe (such as tying the Blue Beetle show into this like I suggested).

Oh, and apparently a movie might still be a thing, they're trying to make it happen, but I kind of doubt it will. If the show takes off and is a huge killer app for HBO Max, it's hard to imagine a movie being made unless it shares the continuity with the show, or else it'd be redundant.

Anyways, what do you think?

why make a Green Lantern show when they can make another movie to later lead to another Justice League film?

Or do both? like Smallville and Superman Returns or The Flash show and movie?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    why make a Green Lantern show when they can make another movie to later lead to another Justice League film?

Or do both? like Smallville and Superman Returns or The Flash show and movie?
    Because with prestige television they can tell larger stories, include many more characters, try different things, have less of a risk, just flesh out the world with tons of worldbuilding in general. The problem with movies is becoming more evident: Lack of time. That was something the movie suffered from, albeit, among many other things. Effects are becoming really good too, especially as TV is becoming recognized as being as legitimate as film, and they're pouring in the big bucks for it.

Also, you might understand why Justice League is a movie they're reluctant to revisit right now.

BANNED

I hope Guy and John are the two

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The guy fights new gods. He isn't human. He does everything superman does without the sun.It is'nt some writers, most write him like that. That is the idea or the perception of batman propagated in pop culture .A sociopathic methodical control freak of a vigilante who can do anything with some moments of redemption . Superman is perceived as the saint, boyscout, space-jesus.. Etc. The perception matters it leads to writing and further propogates the same.
    In Justice League titles sure, meanwhile in Gotham he struggles against plots by human psychopaths. It all depends on which books you read.
    And ultimately, it doesn't matter - I just feel like Dick is inferior to Batman as a character. There's never been a moment in the comics I've read, the cartoons I've watched, or elsewhere where I really latched on to the guy. He just feels kinda...bland. At least to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Because with prestige television they can tell larger stories, include many more characters, try different things, have less of a risk, just flesh out the world with tons of worldbuilding in general. The problem with movies is becoming more evident: Lack of time. That was something the movie suffered from, albeit, among many other things. Effects are becoming really good too, especially as TV is becoming recognized as being as legitimate as film, and they're pouring in the big bucks for it.
    That's not it, that's not it at all. The real reason is because the GL movie failed, as did the JL movie, so a GL movie building up to a JL movie is a no go. TV is just safer. It isn't about the storytelling, it's about making money, and while movies make more money TV's the safer bet for some properties WB/AT&T doesn't feel confident in. Same reason why Superman is going to TV, they're no longer confident enough in the character at this moment to try and make a Superman movie.

It kinda sucks really.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The appeal is, he is james bond of dc.He is batman with an actual personality. Also, this might be a reason.
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/nightw...-grayson-booty
    Batman has a personality, when written well (and Nightwing's personality is kinda bland Spider-Man, imo). And wasn't the James Bond spy thing just one run or so?
    And meh, booty's nothing we haven't seen.
    Batman and Robin (Dick) used to have similar personalities, which is why they got along so well. And were both likable, and when they butted heads it actually made sense with their history and wasn't totally OTT melodrama. I miss adventurous, swashbuckling hairy chested love-God Batman who was BFFs with Superman and Robin and made to secret about it.

They both kinda suck now, but consistent likable/interesting personalities are not that common for most of DC's major characters anymore. Batman's a one note douche now,and Nightwing is either amnesiac or stuck being Daredevil-lite. They deserve better.

That's not it, that's not it at all. The real reason is because the GL movie failed, as did the JL movie, so a GL movie building up to a JL movie is a no go. TV is just safer. It isn't about the storytelling, it's about making money, and while movies make more money TV's the safer bet for some properties WB/AT&T doesn't feel confident in. Same reason why Superman is going to TV, they're no longer confident enough in the character at this moment to try and make a Superman movie.

It kinda sucks really.
    I don't blame the characters but the studio. They are the problem.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Batman and Robin (Dick) used to have similar personalities, which is why they got along so well. And were both likable, and when they butted heads it actually made sense with their history and wasn't totally OTT melodrama. I miss adventurous, swashbuckling hairy chested love-God Batman who was BFFs with Superman and Robin and made to secret about it.

They both kinda suck now, but consistent likable/interesting personalities are not that common for most of DC's major characters anymore. Batman's a one note douche now,and Nightwing is either amnesiac or stuck being Daredevil-lite. They deserve better.
    ! So.true !

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

In Justice League titles sure, meanwhile in Gotham he struggles against plots by human psychopaths. It all depends on which books you read.
    And ultimately, it doesn't matter - I just feel like Dick is inferior to Batman as a character. There's never been a moment in the comics I've read, the cartoons I've watched, or elsewhere where I really latched on to the guy. He just feels kinda...bland. At least to me.
    That doesn't matter they are the same characters. It happens in batbooks too. I disagree, i believe dick grayson is a better character. He doesn't have to resort to some sort of existential crisis or beating up gods to get interesting. Especially, when he leaves the nest and is cut of from wayne Estate and he has to survive with his own resources and friends only.Dick is a leader,dependable,... Etc. He has superman's optimism and Batman's skills. Unlike superman and batman, dick works best when he is struggling with adversities. Because he has adversities. Batman nor superman does. Their biggest adversity is themselves . Otherwise, they are basically coasting through things.

I find bruce bland, especially when i compare other characters that has similar personality type or share same archetype or themes in the medium.I mean, bruce wayne has nothing on guts on berserk. He just lacks the vulnerability,i seek in characters. Guts though, just gets the same themes of existentialism, free will, nihilism, madness... Etc across much better without losing vulnerability and without it feeling like him moaning about his "tragedies" all the time.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-05-2020 at 09:22 AM.

BANNED

Nope! Batman isn't a man. He is a god.Nightwing for the most part hasn't went to that level yet. If being a paranoid self-destructive jerk is personality. Then batman has it in spades.
    jesus, people still have this perception of Batman? this is the type of rhetoric that gave us the worst ever Batman stories and adaptations.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

That's the general perception and that's what is perpetuated most of the time.not my head cannon. Its similar to how Superman in books tries to perpetuate the image of a saint so that people follow him. The character literally has a messiah complex.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-05-2020 at 09:41 AM.

BANNED

That's the general perception and that's what is perpetuated most of the time.not my head cannon. Its similar to how Superman in books tries to perpetuate the image of a saint so that people follow him. The character literally has a messiah complex.
    oh I don't think you're alone in your opinion but to me it's an extremely near-sighted and uninformed opinion. there are hundreds of Batman stories that highlight why it's simply not true. It could be your preferred take but all in all it's not who Batman is. Venom is just one example but it's a great story that exemplifies Bruce Wayne's humanity and personal struggles as he overcomes drug addiction. The Cult is another good one. have you read these? what did you think and did they have any bearing on your opinion here?

I mean, let's not kid ourselves, BatGod is a pretty recent thing. Outside of the classic media trope where the protagonist "can do anything" to get out of a hectic situation, Batman has always been a human being with flaws and struggles, he's not always sure of himself. How else could we have stories? To read about an invincible, emotionless machine is just not interesting. Anyone who wants Batman to be like this is projecting. I feel like BatGod came out of the 90s but it really started getting huge in the 2000s and 2010s, in cartoons mostly but then crossing over into mainstream canon. Of course, he's intelligent and he's dedicated his life to his cause, but he's a human being with a family! any writer with a brain is not going to let a man with a family be an emotionless paranoid jerk. Some people just love it because it's edgy, but look at the history, that was never Batman.
    Last edited by Elmo; 03-05-2020 at 10:10 AM.