Page 498 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 398448488494495496497498499500501502508548598998 ... LastLast
Results 7,456 to 7,470 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    (reposting this from the Green Lantern on HBO Max thread)

https://screenrant.com/green-lantern...ohns-berlanti/

Just went back to something we all missed.

So as it turns out, the famous Green Lantern architect Geoff Johns is going to be partnering with Berlanti to write and produce the Green Lantern series. I take it we can safely bet that Hal and John will be the human leads, and it will also take very heavily from Johns' iconic run on the franchise. To be fair, it wasn't unrealistic to expect it to be that in the first place, as it's been said that this is a cosmic-focused story and Johns' GL run is credited for helping to reestablish the cosmic mythos of DC and certainly for reinvented GL as a whole (whether fans like that or not). Not to mention that was the era of GL's biggest comic book popularity (there's a reason DC tried to start the DCEU with GL, even if the execution was horrible).

The fact that we have "two Earth-based Lanterns and Sinestro", with Johns at the pen, is just short of confirming who we can expect. The idea of using different Lanterns, like Simon and Jessica as Hal/John composites, sounds very unlikely.

I wonder, if they're taking after Johns' run, think we can expect the other Corps and groups? I mean, like the Red, Blue, Star Sapphire, Indigo, Sinestro, and Orange, and of course later with Black and White. Sounds logical, especially if we're going heavy on worldbuilding, to expect it. They just got to make sure not to do too much at once, but let it all flow naturally.

You could also introduce other cosmic factions and worlds to tie everything together, like The Reach (great way to tie into the rumored Blue Beetle series if they go there), the Thanagarians, the Manhunters, Kalandor (introducing Despero), and hell, they could introduce an offshoot of Kryptonian criminals who escaped the planet's destruction and have the Lanterns deal with Zod (something that recently happened in the comics).

Man, just going into how much potential this has gets me excited. We might have a real cosmic superhero epic on our hands, if they get it right. That's before you consider the idea of starting a new universe (such as tying the Blue Beetle show into this like I suggested).

Oh, and apparently a movie might still be a thing, they're trying to make it happen, but I kind of doubt it will. If the show takes off and is a huge killer app for HBO Max, it's hard to imagine a movie being made unless it shares the continuity with the show, or else it'd be redundant.

Anyways, what do you think?
    I would love for HBO Max to connect the Green Lantern and Blue Beetle shows just so I can see The Reach vs The Corps and Dc build up its cosmic world! I’m honestly excited for DC’s future in live action (greeting my favorites Hawkgirl and Blue Beetle adapted is a dream come true!)
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    The Mandalorian looked great, for example, but that show didn't have big space fights with Lantern constructs.
    I feel like this new Far Sector Green Lantern with her 'limited use of constructs per day while the ring recharges itself' paradigm is being floated as a possible ******action notion, to justify a Green Lantern who doesn't go willy-nilly with the big flashy (expensive) ring CGI and falls back on detective work and moxie and bare knuckles from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I would love for HBO Max to connect the Green Lantern and Blue Beetle shows just so I can see The Reach vs The Corps and Dc build up its cosmic world! I’m honestly excited for DC’s future in live action (greeting my favorites Hawkgirl and Blue Beetle adapted is a dream come true!)
    Wait, which Hawkgirl are we getting?

Don't tell me they're gonna do Hawkworld!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel like this new Far Sector Green Lantern with her 'limited use of constructs per day while the ring recharges itself' paradigm is being floated as a possible ******action notion, to justify a Green Lantern who doesn't go willy-nilly with the big flashy (expensive) ring CGI and falls back on detective work and moxie and bare knuckles from time to time.
    Jo could work. Haven't read the book yet (trade waiting) but that would be a viable solution. I think using Kyle makes sense too, like was said on the last page. His early stories mostly take place on earth, he's a perfect audience surrogate, and his inexperience with the ring can keep the budget a little more under control (even though in the comics Kyle quickly started creating huge, complex things).
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Dude, even Cruz has appeared in larger media more than Kyle at this point.

I think Kyle appeared in the 90's Superman cartoon once (where he was at least 50% Hal), and got a tiny cameo in JLU, and that was it, right?
    There was also a statue of him with the other core Earth Lanterns on Oa in Justice League vs. The Fatal Five. I believe they used his classic look instead of his DCAU design.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    That just won’t work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurk View Post
    I agree that DC need a solid foundation and a reassured fanbase that they can't do wrong before they can go experimenting (and currently they keep scaring each fanbase they've got in hopes for a better one instead of trying to combine). But I'm not sure whats your problem with SSs BO is.

Budget $175 million[2]
    Box office $746.8 million[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Squad_%28film%29

... bohoo, not 1B?
    And that SS box office is without China!

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Look, i didn't bash anything. I am just pointing out and critiquing the perception with which most writers write him. I was being blunt with no malice.The comparison comes because Dick is same vigilante as bruce is. And was one, since he was a child. Bruce wayne started being a vigilante when he became grown man. it was his choice. He had one. Dick's choices were influenced by how he was brought up. When he makes a choice he has to shake those of and be independent .I have trashed superman's saint nonsense and sermons as well. They say Superman is human yet have him behave like space-jesus.
    I get that, but like I said that may be most writers and stories but it isn't all. I only get a handful of trades or OGNs or whatever a year, I don't follow the monthly ongoings, and the few stories I get I try and focus on the good ones. So focusing on all the crap in most Bat books, when they're not the Bat books I read, just doesn't do it for me.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 03-06-2020 at 01:29 PM.

What are you going on about? Some properties work better on TV. Game of Thrones for example was a property they attempted to make into a movie franchise, the idea being that one movie would focus on the Starks, one on Daenerys, and so on. It got repurposed to TV because it make more sense, and it worked so well that way (until it fell apart in the end anyways, but that's not because of the format).

Likewise, consider how The Umbrella Academy was optioned to be a movie but became a show. That's because you can't cover all the things the show did in just over two hours. Or HBO's new show, His Dark Materials, again The Golden Compass movie flopped but the show didn't because it just had more time and less risk.

The reality is that Green Lantern is so vast, so full of worldbuilding with different characters, factions, events and lore in general, that with a high budget it makes far more sense to do it as a big prestige TV franchise than a movie that has to condense everything and cut like 95% of the potential story out.

Consider all the characters the Green Lantern Corps alone has. Then consider the other Corps: Blue, Sinestro, Red, Indigo, Star Sapphire, Orange, Black and White, each having their own sets of characters with their place in the universe. Then you can factor in each main character having their supporting cast. And that the Corps are far from the only cosmic factions, and they can easily include things like The Reach, the Thanagarians, the Manhunters, Kalandor, and even Kryptonian rogues if they want to have them fight Zod. Even just the human GLs alone is important, what with Hal and John, and then Guy, Kyle, Simon and Jessica, all of whom are distinct characters who can be developed with more time after they're introduced.

A contributing factor for why the movie was so bad, apart from being mishandled, was that it had all this lore and they needed to condense it to two hours. That just couldn't work. But now they can introduce these different things organically and go far beyond what the movies could.

That's why a high-end TV series makes perfect sense, and they've described Green Lantern as the most ambitious DC show ever. See if that holds true.
    What I'm going on about is I don't believe anything your arguing matters to WB or AT&T. I don't believe their decision process is "which stories work better in a tv format" but rather "which properties aren't safe enough bets to make it as films" instead. You can disagree with that, but I have no reason to believe the execs who make these decisions are all in on the storytelling. The people who make these shows certainly, the ones greenlighting them? Nope.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I like Guy but it feels like to DC and WB he's almost as low on the totem pole as Simon is. The 4 most realistic choices are Hal, John, Jessica and Kyle. Could be a combination of either of those really.
    do you know that being lower on the totem pole means you are held in a higher regard? native americans carved their most important people at the bottom of the pole because they carried the whole tribe. I agree with you that Guy is pretty low. He does a huge part in carrying the Corps.

here's some more info about totems for ya http://nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/771

I like the idea of Hal and John butting heads a lot in terms of personalities and how to do things, but the one thing they can instantly agree on is how much they loathe working with Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    do you know that being lower on the totem pole means you are held in a higher regard? native americans carved their most important people at the bottom of the pole because they carried the whole tribe. I agree with you that Guy is pretty low. He does a huge part in carrying the Corps.

here's some more info about totems for ya http://nativeamericannetroots.net/diary/771
    That's great and all, but it doesn't change that Guy unfortunately does not seem to be held in high regard by DC to make him a main character on a Green Lantern TV show. Doesn't mean that I don't want to see him on it, just that I don't think he will be.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's great and all, but it doesn't change that Guy unfortunately does not seem to be held in high regard by DC to make him a main character on a Green Lantern TV show. Doesn't mean I don't want to see him on it, just that I don't think he will be.
    All I said was I hope it's Guy and John, I don't care what you want to see or what DC thinks

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    All I said was I hope it's Guy and John, I don't care what you want to see or what DC thinks

We're probably going to see Guy if they expand past the initial two Earth Lanterns (safe bet), just that he won't be a main character but a comic relief supporting character.

We're probably going to see Guy if they expand past the initial two Earth Lanterns (safe bet), just that he won't be a main character but a comic relief supporting character.
    Yeah, that's pretty much why they'd introduce Guy. To shake things up, rile up the other GL's, and showcase an Earth Lantern that doesn't fit the standard mold.