Page 5 of 1397 FirstFirst 12345678915551055051005 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Sources Say Warner Bros. Wants James Gunn Post-Disney Exit: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...t-disney-exit/
    I'm not sure that's a good idea? With WB trying to rebuild this brand, do we REALLY need the negative press?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Y
    Ben Affleck Is Still On Board ‘The Batman’ Movie As A Producer: https://pursuenews.com/ben-affleck-i...as-a-producer/

The Flash Movie: Seth Grahame-Smith Gets A Writer Credit, Logan Writer Onboard: https://pursuenews.com/the-flash-mov...riter-onboard/

Sources Say Warner Bros. Wants James Gunn Post-Disney Exit: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08...t-disney-exit/
    All pretty positive from my end.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    I'm not sure that's a good idea? With WB trying to rebuild this brand, do we REALLY need the negative press?
    What negative press?

Yeah, James Gunn said stupid things seven or eight years ago, partly as a coping mechanism, partly because he suffered from "idiot moron mouth", as John Campea so eloquently called it. But what really stupid things has Gunn said or done recently, as in the last five years?

The entire and only reason this is a news scandal is that Disney took the bait that some far-right dude made for them, instead of just having a quiet chat with Gunn.

To me it's more interesting to look at what would be a good fit for Gunn within the DC movies. Green Lantern feels natural as cosmic stuff, but (a) it doesn't tie into his preferred type of characters, losers coming together and working their way up, (b) Green Lantern seems more of a side project for DC right now. I'm also not sure if it's a good idea to place him with a Gotham City Sirens project; Gunn seems to have issues with how to depict or think about women. Something like Suicide Squad seems more up his alley. A Robin origin film would also be a good fit, but they have Matt Reeves on Batman right now.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    What negative press?

Yeah, James Gunn said stupid things seven or eight years ago, partly as a coping mechanism, partly because he suffered from "idiot moron mouth", as John Campea so eloquently called it. But what really stupid things has Gunn said or done recently, as in the last five years?

The entire and only reason this is a news scandal is that Disney took the bait that some far-right dude made for them, instead of just having a quiet chat with Gunn.

To me it's more interesting to look at what would be a good fit for Gunn within the DC movies. Green Lantern feels natural as cosmic stuff, but (a) it doesn't tie into his preferred type of characters, losers coming together and working their way up, (b) Green Lantern seems more of a side project for DC right now. I'm also not sure if it's a good idea to place him with a Gotham City Sirens project; Gunn seems to have issues with how to depict or think about women. Something like Suicide Squad seems more up his alley. A Robin origin film would also be a good fit, but they have Matt Reeves on Batman right now.
    There's no shortage of people ready to brand Gunn a pedophile right now. It's not fair. There's no evidence of that this far. Still? That's the perception a lot of people have right now.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Regarding Birds of Prey, I hadn't read that Cass was in the movie but I had read that Babs is in it AS Oracle.

Kind of disappointed that we're not meeting her as Batgirl first. But Oracle is more true to the most successful run of BOP.
    Maybe they are going the nu52 route and maintaining the Oracle history with a return to a Batgirl career afterward.

As for Harley, why NOT have a strong villain for the BOP to go up against if it helps sell the movie. Without Harley (and Margot Robbie) there wouldn't be a BOP film going into production. I just hope they keep Harley on the villainous side and don't force her into a hero role. Either villain or reluctant antihero (who drives the Birds crazy) would work. Having a villain reluctantly pair up with the good guys to go after a worse bad guy is a familiar comics formula. Could work as a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Regarding Birds of Prey, I hadn't read that Cass was in the movie but I had read that Babs is in it AS Oracle.

Kind of disappointed that we're not meeting her as Batgirl first. But Oracle is more true to the most successful run of BOP.
    Maybe they are going the nu52 route and maintaining the Oracle history with a return to a Batgirl career afterward.

As for Harley, why NOT have a strong villain for the BOP to go up against if it helps sell the movie. Without Harley (and Margot Robbie) there wouldn't be a BOP film going into production. I just hope they keep Harley on the villainous side and don't force her into a hero role. Either villain or reluctant antihero (who drives the Birds crazy) would work. Having a villain reluctantly pair up with the good guys to go after a worse bad guy is a familiar comics formula. Could work as a movie.
    *Scratch the Babs comments. Just read an updated article NOT listing Barbara or Oracle. Boo!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    *Scratch the Babs comments. Just read an updated article NOT listing Barbara or Oracle. Boo!
    What I read is that Babs is in the film, but not as Batgirl.
    Didn't mention Oracle.

The new article doesn't contradict this.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    What negative press?

It doesn't really matter how the scandal started or what bait Disney took, the fact of the matter is Gunn's tweets were now public knowledge and Disney did not want to associate their brand with someone who made pedo jokes about their target audience, regardless of how long ago it was. I have no issues with Gunn, but he was the type of guy who would lead the charge of the outrage mob anytime someone would be accused of saying something disgusting, so I wouldn't say I really have much sympathy for him. This is the puritanical society people like him helped create and now the monster came after him. Live by the sword, die by the sword. He does have the excuse of being a "victim of the alt-right" and his career will obviously not be over after this but I don't need him in the DCEU, let alone on Green Lantern. Geoff Johns himself said at SDCC that Green Lantern shouldn't be "DC's GoTG".

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

Logan writer Michael Green has debunked that rumor of him being involved with The Flash film: https://twitter.com/andmichaelgreen/...67779665379329

He wrote a draft for an earlier Flash film years ago, but it's unlikely the current iteration has anything to do with his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Birds of Prey have had better comics than Sirens so the stronger the source material, the easier it is to adapt. Also, Robbie wants to be the main attraction and her being the sole "off-the-rails" character like Jack Sparrow to Black Canary and the BOP's "straight men" Orlando Bloom helps her achieve that more easily than having to compete with showstoppers Catwoman and Poison Ivy.
    The source material is irrelevant to a movie like this. The movie is there to serve as a vehicle for Harley. That is it and also the problem. It is taking a franchise that has nothing to do with Harley and then turning it around, reshaping it, and making it about her. Things like that can be horribly damaging. Just look at the Suicide Squad comics when they decided to make them focus on Harley. The quality has gone way down and the team has lost its original place. It is now just a team book that Harley can be featured in.

And Calling Catwoman or Ivy "showstoppers" makes no sense as well because both are below Harley in terms of relevance, and regardless if they made a BoP movie or a Sirens movie Harley would still be the main attraction. Neither Catwoman or Ivy are crazy or zany enough to dominate a movie like this to take the spotlight away from Harley. They are typically shown as cool and collected in most of their other media appearances and would serve basically the same function as a Black Canary, Huntress or Cass. Only difference Sirens is a team that Harley actually has a connection to and a history with and they wouldn't have to lower BoP to be about Harley.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

"Lady Gaga was offered the role of either Huntress or Black Canary 3 months ago but she turned it down. Oh well."

https://twitter.com/DanielRPK/status...86321542836225

Ah, what a loss.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-09-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 08-10-2018 at 10:26 AM.

"Lady Gaga was offered the role of either Huntress or Black Canary 3 months ago but she turned it down. Oh well."

https://twitter.com/DanielRPK/status...86321542836225

Ah, what a loss.
    DC and their castings .

There are many people who fancast Gaga as Ivy but Circe is the only DC character I see fit for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    The source material is irrelevant to a movie like this. The movie is there to serve as a vehicle for Harley. That is it and also the problem. It is taking a franchise that has nothing to do with Harley and then turning it around, reshaping it, and making it about her. Things like that can be horribly damaging. Just look at the Suicide Squad comics when they decided to make them focus on Harley. The quality has gone way down and the team has lost its original place. It is now just a team book that Harley can be featured in.
    Bit of an overreaction. Harley had nothing to do with Suicide Squad's deterioration as a franchise. The truth is nobody other than Ostrander could really crack it. The New 52 at least made it a commercially viable title by propping it up on HQ's shoulders.

Now Birds of Prey as a title is quickly losing relevance on its own without Harley even being attached. If like SS, adding HQ to BoP gives it a commercial boost then might as well.

And Calling Catwoman or Ivy "showstoppers" makes no sense as well because both are below Harley in terms of relevance, and regardless if they made a BoP movie or a Sirens movie Harley would still be the main attraction. Neither Catwoman or Ivy are crazy or zany enough to dominate a movie like this to take the spotlight away from Harley. They are typically shown as cool and collected in most of their other media appearances and would serve basically the same function as a Black Canary, Huntress or Cass. Only difference Sirens is a team that Harley actually has a connection to and a history with and they wouldn't have to lower BoP to be about Harley.
    Eh... Catwoman is an evergreen pop culture icon whose longevity in relevance is beyond compare to the likes of Harley. Ivy too is incredibly popular and gives Harley a run for her money when it comes to cosplay, fanart, statue and merchandising sales etc. From what I've seen, they also tend to be more appealing towards a larger spectrum of women than Harley is. If Catwoman and Ivy are given the same push or even half the push as Harley in the DC film universe, the likelihood of them completely eclipsing her is very real, especially as they are the "original femme fatales", rendering Harley useless.

The BoP OTOH are far more non-threatening and can be used as "straight men foils" to play off Harley's antics.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 08-11-2018 at 10:05 AM.