Page 518 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 184184685085145155165175185195205215225285686181018 ... LastLast
Results 7,756 to 7,770 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Ok, that sounds like DC is protecting Babsgirl and as a result Cass suffers
    That's been true for both Cass and Steph ever since they made Babs Batgirl again.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Cass seems to thrive independently outside of the B-family. She could be part of ARGUS, Grayson, Leviathan, League of Assassins type of stories and would be fine. Not my kind of flavor but the mistreatment of her seems really unwise. Many characters created after her don't have that appeal

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's been true for both Cass and Steph ever since they made Babs Batgirl again.
    I dislike Steph as Batgirl but haven't enjoyed a Batgirl run as much as BQM's run on Steph outside Batgirl Year One

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Cass seems to thrive independently outside of the B-family. She could be part of ARGUS, Grayson, Leviathan, League of Assassins type of stories and would be fine. Not my kind of flavor but the mistreatment of her seems really unwise. Many characters created after her don't have that appeal
    Honestly seems like Cass is at her worst every time they try to distance her from the Batfamily.

The Justice League Dark movie is no longer happening, but it will be a streaming series on HBO Max instead.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/**...duster-1290530

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    The Justice League Dark movie is no longer happening, but it will be a streaming series on HBO Max instead.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/**...duster-1290530
    This is probably more reasonable then a movie to be honest. They already did an animated film anyways.

This is probably more reasonable then a movie to be honest. They already did an animated film anyways.
    While I agree a small series might be best for an untested franchise with the albatross of "Justice League" in its name at this point in time and corona going on and all, I can't help but ask...what does the animated film have to do with this decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    While I agree a small series might be best for an untested franchise with the albatross of "Justice League" in its name at this point in time and corona going on and all, I can't help but ask...what does the animated film have to do with this decision?
    For the executives? Probably nothing. I think the animated film was either produced from an unused script for the Del Toro movie, or as a proof of concept film.

For the executives? Probably nothing. I think the animated film was either produced from an unused script for the Del Toro movie, or as a proof of concept film.
    I never buy into the theory that the animated movies are used as proof of concept for the live action films. I doubt the guys making decisions on the live action side are even aware the animated films exists, much less which DC properties have been used there.

I guess with HBO Max as an option now a lot of the B list properties that had movies lined up will have streaming shows instead. Justice League Dark, Blue Beetle, maybe even Nightwing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I have no strong feelings towards the comics Cassandra Cain whatsoever and I thought the movie created a great character that worked well within the film, but they shouldn't have named her after an established character if they had absolutely no similarities aside from their gender and race. That's a legit complaint because it assumes that fans don't care about anything but the most surface details.
    I don't think this proves that creators think fans only care about surface details. The movie draws inspiration from the BoP comics fairly extensively.

Take Dark Knight for instance. Originally, Montoya was meant to be in the film, but Paul Levitz rightfully pointed out that Montoya would never betray Gordon, so they changed her into a new character that served the same role and the film was exactly the same without warping Montoya into something she's not.
    That has more to do with the character being depicted negatively though than the character being different. I mean the 'Robin' stunt they pulled in DKR is too me clear example of surface level pandering.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There have been plenty of comments by people who were fine with the character's dynamic with Harley and with the actress's performance, but would have preferred she be named something else. It's quite possible to still asses how she works within the context of the film, but we're dealing with a fan favorite character here who has endured a lot of abuse from editorial to the point that even non-fans can see she gets a raw deal. Asking for someone not to bring their prior feelings for a character to the table in an adaptation is frankly just unrealistic. It's not as if other characters don't get tweaked.

Since that wouldn't change her role in the film, she has so little in common with Cass anyway, and there are even similar characters in the Bat-books (Holly, Elle from Morrison's run) whose name she could have, it's not like it would change the film for the worse anyway.
    I think the outrage has more to do with the 'wounded' nature of Cassandra Cain's fan base than any legitimate complaint. Giving a character name that only vaguely resembles a comic character is a long-standing tradition, both for adaptations and for retellings in comic books themselves. Yeah, a lot of these do receive push back (This was a criticism of the Joker film for instance), but this Cassandra Cain thing feels different, as if its a protest.

I don't see how CC appearance in this film harms the character overall. If anything this film was likely going to help reintroduce the character into comic continuity (I say likely because I believe the new BoP book was cancelled and all the comic collapse stuff now) yet its being treated as if this was Dan Didio's final middle finger to the fan base.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I think the outrage has more to do with the 'wounded' nature of Cassandra Cain's fan base than any legitimate complaint. Giving a character name that only vaguely resembles a comic character is a long-standing tradition, both for adaptations and for retellings in comic books themselves. Yeah, a lot of these do receive push back (This was a criticism of the Joker film for instance), but this Cassandra Cain thing feels different, as if its a protest.

I don't see how CC appearance in this film harms the character overall. If anything this film was likely going to help reintroduce the character into comic continuity (I say likely because I believe the new BoP book was cancelled and all the comic collapse stuff now) yet its being treated as if this was Dan Didio's final middle finger to the fan base.
    What do you qualify as harm to a character? A terrible misrepresentation of a character harms its fans, who actually exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    What do you qualify as harm to a character? A terrible misrepresentation of a character harms its fans, who actually exist.
    Even if the character is fine or good in the context of their use in the film, having absolutely nothing to do with the character whose name they share begs the question of what even was the point of giving them. Especially if the character in question is a much bigger deal then they were in the movie.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post

It's usually not done with a character this specific though, and with a change so different. The difference between Cass and the Joker is that we've gotten boatloads of Joker adaptations before, and will get many more. And a lot of the changes usually have some precedent in the comics, even the changes fans don't like. Like all the characters in the DCEU so far are at least are recognizable. Even if a lot of them aren't executed too well or embraced, there are roots in place. This is just straight up someone like Holly Robinson, but with Cass's name.

The movie doesn't change remotely if you give her Holly's name, and there wouldn't be the distracting expectations that you get by slapping a fan favorite characters name on it. Again, plenty of people found stuff to enjoy otherwise in this film and it pulls a lot from the source material. None of it pertains to Cass. It's a legitimate criticism for anyone to have if they feel it.