Page 519 of 1397 FirstFirst ... 194194695095155165175185195205215225235295696191019 ... LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,785 of 20948

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Even if the character is fine or good in the context of their use in the film, having absolutely nothing to do with the character whose name they share begs the question of what even was the point of giving them. Especially if the character in question is a much bigger deal then they were in the movie.
    My guess is that the authors of the script had this character created and they wanted to give her a name and thought Cassandra Cain might be s good fit. The other four members of the film were associated of the BoP in the comic book so they wanted this character to join the pattern as well. CBMs love name-dropping.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I guess with HBO Max as an option now a lot of the B list properties that had movies lined up will have streaming shows instead. Justice League Dark, Blue Beetle, maybe even Nightwing.
    Dont give me hope.

Anyway, I'm cool with JLD being on HBO. I have a lot more faith in HBO than I do WB's film division.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I don't think this proves that creators think fans only care about surface details. The movie draws inspiration from the BoP comics fairly extensively.

That has more to do with the character being depicted negatively though than the character being different. I mean the 'Robin' stunt they pulled in DKR is too me clear example of surface level pandering.
    Agreed with the Robin bit in Dark Knight Rises, but that whole film is just a mess of half-baked ideas that don't really add up to anything.

As for BoP, I think the filmmakers clearly did take pains to adapt Dinah, Helena and Montoya faithfully while also making changes that fit within the story they wanted to tell.

Which is why their version of Cassandra Cain sticks out like such a sore thumb. It made no sense to call her that other than pandering.

My guess is that the authors of the script had this character created and they wanted to give her a name and thought Cassandra Cain might be s good fit. The other four members of the film were associated of the BoP in the comic book so they wanted this character to join the pattern as well. CBMs love name-dropping.
    Considering how different the character was from the comics aside from ethnicity and gender, I have to wonder how they came up with that.

There's name-dropping and then there's just using a name for a character that barely resembles the character they're supposed to be.

Yeah but it didn’t add anything. Cass in the movie has nothing in common with her comic incarnation, and the general audience won’t know or care who Cass Cain is.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Considering how different the character was from the comics aside from ethnicity and gender, I have to wonder how they came up with that.

There's name-dropping and then there's just using a name for a character that barely resembles the character they're supposed to be.
    This happens all the time though, even in comics themselves. In Greg Rucka's 2nd WW run he reimagined Dr. Poison and Dr. Cyber as completely different characters than their previous versions. they just carried the same name. There has been a tendency in comics to simply reinvent characters since the Silver Age. I haven't really seen an argument against this point, besides, "Well, they shouldn't have done it with this specific character!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah but it didn’t add anything. Cass in the movie has nothing in common with her comic incarnation, and the general audience won’t know or care who Cass Cain is.
    I'm the creators of Cassandra Cain added some phat cash to their bank accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Dont give me hope.

Anyway, I'm cool with JLD being on HBO. I have a lot more faith in HBO than I do WB's film division.
    I wouldn't say that - HBO probably has some clunkers, and WB has some great stuff like Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, Joker (I know that's debatable with us comic fans, but I love it). A lot of the recent stuff (aka post Snyder) has been good. I even really enjoyed Birds of Prey, heck my mom loved it, although she doesn't read comics and I've never read any with Cassandra Cain, so that might've helped.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This happens all the time though, even in comics themselves. In Greg Rucka's 2nd WW run he reimagined Dr. Poison and Dr. Cyber as completely different characters than their previous versions. they just carried the same name. There has been a tendency in comics to simply reinvent characters since the Silver Age. I haven't really seen an argument against this point, besides, "Well, they shouldn't have done it with this specific character!"
    Poison and Cyber weren't ever anywhere near as well defined as Cass was though (much as I wish they were). Especially Cyber. And they didn't sustain ongoings.

It comes with different different expectations, one is a (at one time at least) fan favorite member of the Bat-family, the other two are rarely used villains in a franchise where even the arch villains don't always get proper respect. Not all these situations are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I wouldn't say that - HBO probably has some clunkers, and WB has some great stuff like Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, Joker (I know that's debatable with us comic fans, but I love it). A lot of the recent stuff (aka post Snyder) has been good. I even really enjoyed Birds of Prey, heck my mom loved it, although she doesn't read comics and I've never read any with Cassandra Cain, so that might've helped.
    Oh sure, HBO doesn't have a perfect record, but I still trust them a lot more than WB.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

That makes a lot of sense, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh sure, HBO doesn't have a perfect record, but I still trust them a lot more than WB.
    Why? Outside of Snyder, has WB really done that wrong by DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Why? Outside of Snyder, has WB really done that wrong by DC?
    Batman & Robin (where the director also got scapegoated)

Green Lantern

Steel

Suicide Squad

Justice League

WB is more than capable of screwing up without Snyder and they have done it before.

Astonishing Member

They have nothing to do with how their characters are adapted. Not every creator is JK Rowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Batman & Robin (where the director also got scapegoated)

Green Lantern

Steel

Suicide Squad

Justice League

WB is more than capable of screwing up without Snyder and they have done it before.
    Batman & Robin and Steel was well over 20 years ago, and Suicide Squad and Justice League still had the influence and stench of Snyder on them even if he didn't direct SS and someone re-directed JL. Outside the 90s and things Snyder had some bearing and influence on all that's left is Green Lantern.